Frances Loring and Florence Wyle. Sculptors Frances Loring (1887-1968) and Florence Wyle (1881-1968) were born in the United States mid-west. They met in 1907 while art students in Chicago, and moved to Toronto in 1913. Their home and studio near here at 110 Glenrose Avenue was a centre for artists, academics and students for 48 years. In 1918 they sculpted a series of figures of workers in the munitions industry for Canadian war memorials. Loring designed the lion, and Wyle the portrait reliefs of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth for the Queen Elizabeth Way Lion Monument, now located in Gzowski Park. The works of these colourful artists are represented in the Art Gallery of Ontario, the National Galley and the War Museum in Ottawa, and on many public and private buildings in Ontario. Their contribution is recognized, at the request of the Moore Park Residents' Association, by this park named in their honour.
There is no photo linked to this plaque record. It needs someone to hunt it down. Maybe that someone could be you?
Plaque № 3528
by Toronto Historical Board in 1984
|Location||corner of Mt Pleasant Road and St. Clair Avenue East, Toronto, ON, Canada