Wetherspoon Birmingham International Airport began as a small airfield in the Parish of Elmdon and was known as Elmdon Airport. The name Elmdon means 'hill of the elms. The first aircraft to land was a Western Airways twin-engine D.H. Dragonfly, on 20th March 1939. Dragonfly was the name of Wetherspoon's first outlet at the airport. Elmdon Airport was officially renamed Birmingham Airport, in April 1960, at a ceremony attended by an estimated 10,000 people. International flights were introduced in the 1960s. The Main Terminal was opened in 1984. These premises were opened by J.D. Wetherspoon in March 2015.