Lord Hugh Dowding Air Chief Marshal 1882-1970 Leader of Fighter Command lived here 1941-1951

"English Heritage erected a blue plaque on 3 St Mary's Road in April 2000 but it was removed and stored when the house was demolished in 2009. It could not be put on either of Dowding's earlier homes in Wimbledon Hill Road or Lansdowne Road because they too were gone. A new house was built at St Mary's Road but as English Heritage only allows its plaques on original buildings, the owners of the property remedied matters by putting up their own." - http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news/10221995.The_Wimbledon_airman_who_saved_Britain/

Plaque is now missing

3 St Mary's Road, Wimbledon, SW19 Merton, London
Google Streetview

by English Heritage in 2000

Colour: blue

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

See also...
Simon Harriyott on Flickr
Elliott Brown on Flickr
Simon Harriyott on Flickr
Brian Cooper on Flickr
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons