Open Plaques

Chinatown The first recorded Chinese resident in Toronto was Sam Ching, who opened a business on Adelaide Street in 1878. This pioneer was joined by a growing number of Chinese, many of whom migrated eastward after they helped to build the Transcontinental Pacific Railway. By 1910 the Chinese in Toronto numbered over 1,000, largely concentrated in the Elizabeth Street area. Over the next seventy years the community grew, business increased and expanded. In the 1980s, over 100,000 people of Chinese origin reside in Metropolitan Toronto and are prominently represented in all aspects of community life. [plaque removed]

Plaque 6684

Erected

by Toronto Historical Board in 1983

Language English
Colour black
Location Nathan Phillips Square, Chinatown, Toronto, ON, Canada
Subject Sam Ching
Machine tag openplaques:id=6684

Data about this plaque as XML JSON KML GMAP