Roe Head - Built on land bought from the Armytage Kamily of Kirklees Hall in the mid-17C and rebuilt in 1740. The building became a school in 1830, attended by the Brontë sisters, Charlotte, 1831-32, Emily, 1836, Anne 1836-7. Charlotte returned in July 1835 as a teacher. Headmistress of the school was Margaret Wooler (Mrs Prior in Shirley) and Charlotte's Friends at school were Ellen Nussey and Mary Taylor (Caroline Helstone and Rose Yorke in Shirley).

John P Coates on Geograph

Holly Bank School, Roe Head Site, Far Common Road, Mirfield
Google Streetview

by Mirfield Civic Society

Colour: blue

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

See also...
sgwarnog2010 on Flickr
Chris Hall on Geograph
Sandie on Flickr All Rights Reserved
Keith Seabridge on Flickr
David Spencer on Geograph
George Tod on Geograph
Peter Hughes on Flickr
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
Chris Hall on Geograph
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons