King Edward VI School Shakespeare's School This Guildhall was built in 1420 and is the place where William Shakespeare was educated and first witnessed professional theatre. It served as the centre of civic life in Stratford for over 400 years and was the building in which Shakespeare's father, John, served as the town's bailiff. The Schoolroom on the upper floor is still in use today. As a state school we receive no government funding to support the upkeep of the Guildhall. The last major restoration of the building took place in 1891, and is now in urgent need of repair and conservation. We have made an application to the Heritage Lottery Fund but we need to raise in excess of £200,000 ourselves. We will then be able to open it to the public on a daily basis when lessons are not being taught.
Plaque is now missing
King Edward VI School - Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon
Google Streetview OpenStreetMap
by King Edward VI School Stratford in 2014