Shakespeare's New Place Built in 1483, New Place was the largest house in the borough of Stratford-upon-Avon. William Shakespeare bought New Place in 1597. It became his family home, and he lived here with his wife Anne and their daughters Susanna and Judith. Shakespeare died at New Place in April 1616. The house passed to his daughter Susanna Hall and, after her death in 1649, to his granddaughter Elizabeth Nash. Following Elizabeth's death in 1670, Sir John Clopton replaced it with a new house, completed in 1702. New Place was finally demolished by the Rev. Francis Gastrell in 1759. Since 1876 the site of Shakespeare's adult home has been preserved as a garden and cared for by the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust. Following extensive archaeological investigations the gardens at New Place were re-presented and opened in 2016 with an exhibition centre located in the adjoining Nash's House.
in 2016 Part of the Stratford-upon-Avon Historic Spine series