Sir Christopher Wren PRS
(1632-1723)

architect, Knight Bachelor (from 1673), and 3rd President of the Royal Society (1680-1682)

Died aged c. 91

Sir Christopher Wren PRS (/ˈrɛn/; 30 October 1632 [O.S. 20 October] – 8 March 1723 [O.S. 25 February]) is one of the most highly acclaimed English architects in history.He was accorded responsibility for rebuilding 52 churches in the City of London after the Great Fire in 1666, including what is regarded as his masterpiece, St. Paul's Cathedral, on Ludgate Hill, completed in 1710. The principal creative responsibility for a number of the churches is now more commonly attributed to others in his office, especially Nicholas Hawksmoor. Other notable buildings by Wren include the Royal Naval College, Greenwich, and the south front of Hampton Court Palace. The Wren Building, the main building at the College of William and Mary, Virginia, is attributed to Wren. Educated in Latin and Aristotelian physics at the University of Oxford, Wren was a notable anatomist, astronomer, geometer, and mathematician-physicist, as well as an architect. He was a founder of the Royal Society (president 1680–82), and his scientific work was highly regarded by Isaac Newton and Blaise Pascal.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 9 plaques

Spudgun67 on Flickr
Elliott Brown on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
Peter Hughes on Flickr
Christine Matthews on Geograph
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr

Sir Christopher Wren 1632-1723 architect lived here

The Old Court House, Hampton Court Green, East Molesey Richmond Upon Thames, London, United Kingdom where they lived

This house was designed and lived in by Sir Christopher Wren

Thames Street, Windsor, United Kingdom where they was allegedly

Site of St. Benet Fink burnt 1666 rebuilt by Wren demolished 1844

1 Threadneedle Street, EC2R, London, United Kingdom where they rebuilt

Here Lived Sir Christopher Wren during the building of St Pauls Cathedral Here also, in 1502, Catherine, Infanta of Castille and Aragon, afterwards first Queen of Henry VIII, took shelter on her first landing in London

Blackfriars Road, London, United Kingdom where they lived

Site of St. Bartholomew by The Exchange, Burnt 1666 rebuilt by Wren, Demolished 1841

Threadneedle St, London, United Kingdom where they rebuilt

This building, reputed to be from designs by Sir Christopher Wren, was erected as a church by Lord Hatton to serve the needs of the neighbourhood after St. Andrew's Holborn had been destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. It was adapted for use as a charity school about 1696, was severely damaged by incendiary bombs during the 1939-45 war and has since been reconstructed internally to provide offices - the original facades being restored and retained. The figures of scholars in 18th century costume taken down and sent for safe keeping during the war to Bradfield College, Berkshire have been replaced in their original positions as a memorial of the former use of the building.

Hatton Garden, Holborn, London, United Kingdom where they reputedly designed

The church of St Dunstan in the East stood on this site from ancient times. Sir Christopher Wren rebuilt the church after the Great Fire of 1666 and the only part of his design which survivies is the tower. The remainder of the church was rebuilt in 1817 and destroyed by enemy action in 1941. This garden was created by the Corporation of London and opened by the RT. Hon. The Lord Mayor Sir Peter Studd. on 21st June 1971.

St Dunstan in the East, London, United Kingdom where they rebuilt

St Lawrence Jewry is so called because the original Twelfth Century Church stood on the Eastern side of the City, then occupied by the Jewish Community. That Church, built in 1136, was destroyed in the Great Fire of London of 1666 The building which replaced it was designed by Sir Christopher Wren in 1680. Almost completely destroyed by fire in 1940 this time as the result of action by the King's enemies it was restored in 1957 in the tradition of Wren's building. St. Lawrence Jewry is now the Church of the Corporation of London

Guildhall Yard, London, United Kingdom where they was

The Monument, was designed by Robert Hooke FRS in consultation with Sir Christopher Wren, was built 1671-1677, on the site of St Margaret Fish Street Hill. To commemorate the Great Fire of London 1666. the fire burnt from 2 to 5 September, devastating two-thirds of the city, and destroying 13,200 houses, 87 churches, and 52 Livery Company Halls. The Monument, a freestanding fluted Doric column topped by a flaming copper urn, is 61m/202ft in height, being equal to the distance westward from the site of the bakery in Puddin Lane where the fire first broke out. It's central shaft originally housed lenses for a zenith telescope, and its balcony, reached by an internal spiral staircase of 311 steps, affords panoramic views of the city. The allegorical sculpture on the pedestal above was executed by Caius Gabriel Cibber and shows Charles II coming to assist the slumped figure of the City of London. St Magnus the Martyr Fish Hill Street, ot the south, leads to St Magnus the Martyr, a Wren church, alongside which is the ancient street which led to the medieval London Bridge

Fish Hill Street, London, United Kingdom where they was