This building, reputed to be from designs by Sir Christopher Wren, was erected as a church by Lord Hatton to serve the needs of the neighbourhood after St. Andrew's Holborn had been destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. It was adapted for use as a charity school about 1696, was severely damaged by incendiary bombs during the 1939-45 war and has since been reconstructed internally to provide offices - the original facades being restored and retained. The figures of scholars in 18th century costume taken down and sent for safe keeping during the war to Bradfield College, Berkshire have been replaced in their original positions as a memorial of the former use of the building.

Photo of Christopher Wren slate plaque
Peter Hughes on Flickr
Photo of Christopher Wren slate plaque
Peter Hughes on Flickr
Photo of Christopher Wren slate plaque
Mike Faherty on Geograph

Hatton Garden, Holborn, London
Google Streetview

Colour: slate

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

See also...
Photo of Christopher Wren blue plaque
Spudgun67 on Flickr
Photo of Christopher Wren blue plaque
Elliott Brown on Flickr
Photo of St. Benet Fink, London and Christopher Wren blue plaque
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Photo of Christopher Wren blue plaque
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
Photo of Christopher Wren grey plaque
Christine Matthews on Geograph
Photo of Christopher Wren green plaque
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Photo of Christopher Wren and Robert Hooke stone plaque
Nick Harrison on Flickr