The Monument, was designed by Robert Hooke FRS in consultation with Sir Christopher Wren, was built 1671-1677, on the site of St Margaret Fish Street Hill. To commemorate the Great Fire of London 1666. the fire burnt from 2 to 5 September, devastating two-thirds of the city, and destroying 13,200 houses, 87 churches, and 52 Livery Company Halls. The Monument, a freestanding fluted Doric column topped by a flaming copper urn, is 61m/202ft in height, being equal to the distance westward from the site of the bakery in Puddin Lane where the fire first broke out. It's central shaft originally housed lenses for a zenith telescope, and its balcony, reached by an internal spiral staircase of 311 steps, affords panoramic views of the city. The allegorical sculpture on the pedestal above was executed by Caius Gabriel Cibber and shows Charles II coming to assist the slumped figure of the City of London. St Magnus the Martyr Fish Hill Street, ot the south, leads to St Magnus the Martyr, a Wren church, alongside which is the ancient street which led to the medieval London Bridge

Photo of Christopher Wren and Robert Hooke stone plaque
Nick Harrison on Flickr
See also...
Photo of Christopher Wren blue plaque
Spudgun67 on Flickr
Photo of Christopher Wren blue plaque
Elliott Brown on Flickr
Photo of St. Benet Fink, London and Christopher Wren blue plaque
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Photo of Christopher Wren blue plaque
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
Photo of Christopher Wren slate plaque
Peter Hughes on Flickr
Photo of Christopher Wren grey plaque
Christine Matthews on Geograph
Photo of Christopher Wren green plaque
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Photo of Robert Boyle and Robert Hooke black plaque
Jez Nicholson on Flickr
Photo of Robert Hooke blue plaque
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons