Died aged c. 81
George Corson (1829–1910) was a Scottish architect active in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. He was born in Dumfries, where he was articled to Walter Newall before moving to Leeds in 1849 to work with his brother William Reid Corson who was working there with Edward La Trobe Bateman. His brother left Leeds in 1860, leaving Corson in charge of the practice. Corson was responsible for many buildings in Leeds including: * the Grand Theatre (1877–78), with his assistant James Robinson Watson - Grade II* listed * the municipal buildings (1878–84) - Grade II* listed, now housing the Leeds Central Library * an extension (1891–92) to George Gilbert Scott's Grade I listed Leeds General Infirmary * Apsley House (formerly Concourse House) (1903) - originally a drapers and haberdashery warehouse for Crowe & Co and now occupied by Sky Sports * many large houses in Headingley including the Grade II* listed Spenfield Corson won a competition for the landscaping of Roundhay Park in 1873, and in 1874 designed the layout and many of the buildings of Lawnswood cemetery, where he himself was buried in 1910. His gravestone, a celtic cross with five bosses, is grade II listed, one of only four listed memorials at Lawnswood.DbPedia
Commemorated on 3 plaques
Leeds School Board erected this fine headquarters and examination centre in 1878-81. First elected by the ratepayers of Leeds in 1870, the board built sufficient schools to ensure that for the first time every child in Leeds received an elementary education. Architect: George Corson
Calverley Street, Leeds, United Kingdom where they designed (1878)
Hepper House. Was built in 1863 as auction rooms and offices for John Hepper and Sons, the premier auctioneers and estate agents in 19th and 20th Century Leeds. Its architect, George Corson, lavished its frontage and vestibule with an eclectic mix of Romanesque and Byzantine, French and English Gothic styles.
17a East Parade, Leeds, United Kingdom where they designed (1863)
Leeds Grand Theatre & Opera House. This magnificent theatre opened in 1878 its transformative renovation in 2005-2008 included the creation of the Howard Assembly Room as an inspiring performance venue. Stars who have appeared here include: Henry Irving Sarah Bernhardt, Marie Lloyd, Laurence Olivier, Julie Andrews, Margot Fonteyn, Frankie Vaughan, John Tomlinson and Josephine Barstow. In 1978 it became the home of Opera North. Architects: George Corson and James Watson.
46 New Briggate LS1 6NZ, Leeds, United Kingdom where they designed (1878)