Died aged c. 71
Commemorated on 4 plaques
Newcastle Central railway station. This plaque celebrates the 150th anniversary of the station, opened by Queen Victoria on 29th August 1850 and built by the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway. It was designed by John Dobson, Architect and Robert Stephenson, Engineer. The portico on the north facade, designed by Thomas Prosser, Architect, was added by the North Eastern Railway in 1860. The train shed roof was extended southwards in 1893 to the design of William Bell, Architect. The building is listed Grade 1.
Newcastle Central railway station, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom where they designed
York railway station. This station was opened in 1877 by the North Eastern Railway Company to replace an earlier station built in 1841 within the City walls. Designed by architect Thomas Prosser and engineer Thomas Elliot Harrison, the station is now listed Grade II. This plaque commemorates the refurbishment schemes carried out in 2004 by Great North Eastern Railway Ltd with the support of the Railway Heritage Trust.
Station, York, United Kingdom where they designed
York Railway Station. One of the great buildings of Victorian England built 1873-7 (when it was then said to be the largest station in the world) to an original design by Thomas Prosser. It was opened on the 25th June 1877, and this plaque was erected by the York Civic Trust in 1977 to mark the centenary.
York Railway Station, York, United Kingdom where they designed
Railway Station. Before 1848, only aristocratic or wealthy classes could visit Harrogate, but the opening in that year of railway lines to Brunswick and Starbeck stations enabled great numbers of the general public to visit the town in search of health and leisure. Visitors had to travel to central Harrogate by horse-drawn carriage or donkey cart, but in 1862 the North Eastern Railway Company constructed a link line with a new station in the developing area of central Harrogate. Designed by company architect Thomas Prosser, who had also designed York Railway Station, the new station was the first public building in Harrogate to be built of brick. In 1896, an improvement programme provided extended platforms and a beautiful glazed entrance canopy, by which time the station boasted eight platforms. At this time, the often exclusive nature of Harrogate’s visitors entitled the Station Master the rare honour of wearing a silk top hat. In 1965 the Victorian station building was replaced by the present structure designed by Harold Taylor as part of a tower block development. This plaque was presented by Northern Rail in 2012 to mark the 150th anniversary of the opening of central Harrogate’s Railway Station. British Monarchs who have passed through it have included King George V, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth II.
Railway Station, Station Parade, Harrogate, United Kingdom where they designed