Died aged c. 98
James Pain (1779–1877) was born into a family of English architects. His grandfather was William Pain, his father James Pain and his brother George Richard Pain. James Pain served as an apprentice to the architect John Nash of London. James and George Richard were commissioned by the Board of First Fruits to design churches and glebe houses in Ireland. In 1833, James Pain became one of the four principal architects of the Board of Ecclesiastical Commissioners. He settled in Limerick, Ireland. Many of his designs were produced in collaboration with his brother George Richard who practised in Cork.DbPedia
Commemorated on 2 plaques
Villier's Alms House designed by James Pain in 1830 for poor protestant widows, through bequests provided by Mrs. Hannah Villier. Mrs. Hannah Villiers endowed the buildings on this site in her will in 1821. The construction took place in the Bishops Palace Garden in 1823. Of interest from a medieval perspective are the remains of the two towers, which today form part of the boundary fronting to the River Shannon.
Old Church Street, Englishtown, Limerick, Ireland where they designed
James Pain renowned architect, together with his brother, George designed some of our finest structures.
The Glentworth Hotel, Glentworth Street, Limerick, Ireland where they designed