Birmingham Assay Office. Since the 14th century in Britain articles of silver and gold have had to be tested at an assay office for metal purity standard and there hallmarked to protect the customer from fraud. Until the 1750s Birmingham's silversmiths and jewellers had to send their goods to London or Chester assay offices, which was inconvenient and expensive. Matthew Boulton campaigned for Birmingham to have its own Assay Office. In 1773 the first Birmingham Assay Office was opened on New Street. At first only silver was hallmarked not until 1824 could gold be marked with the Birmingham anchor mark. The Assay office has been in the present building since 1878.

Peter Hughes on Flickr
Elliott Brown on Flickr
Peter Hughes on Flickr

Corner of Charlotte Street and Newhall Street, Birmingham
Google Streetview

by Birmingham City Action Team Part of the Jewellery Quarter Discovery Trail series

Colour: bronze

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

See also...
on Wikimedia Commons
Tim Ellis on Flickr
Peter Hughes on Flickr