Prahran Mechanics' Institute (est. 1854) Formed Prahran Technical School of this site in 1915. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 11 in the MIV series, was unveiled on 8 October 2005 to mark the 90th anniversary of the opening ceremony of this building.
140 High Street, Prahran, Victoria
Google Streetview OpenStreetMap
by Mechanics' Institutes of Victoria Inc. on 08 October 2005 #0011 of the MIV Historical Plaques Program series