Essex Street was laid out in the grounds of Essex House by Nicholas Barbon in 1675. Among many famous lawyers who lived here were Sir Orlando Bridgeman c.1606-1674 Lord Keeper, Henry Fielding 1707-1754 novelist and Brass Crosby 1725-1793 Lord Mayor of London. James Savage 1779-1852 architect had his office here. Prince Charles Edward Stuart stayed at a house in the street in 1750. Rev Theophilus Lindsey 1723-1808 Unitarian Minister founded Essex Street Chapel here in 1774. Dr. Samuel Johnson established an evening club at the Essex Head in 1783.
This rectangular plaque of inscribed Portland stone, commemorating the historical associations of a whole street, was originally installed at No.7 Essex Street in 1962. It was moved to its present location - Essex Hall, a mid 20th century replacement for an 18th century building destroyed by a flying bomb in 1944 - two years later when No.7 was demolished.
Essex Hall, Essex Street, Westminster, WC2, London
Google Streetview OpenStreetMap
by administered by English Heritage as part of the London wide plaque scheme and London County Council in 1962