Lendal Tower. Dating from about 1300, it was originally part of the City's defences, with a defensive chain stretching from here to the Tower on the opposite bank. In 1677 it was leased to the predecessors of The York Waterworks Plc for five hundred years, at an annual rent of one peppercorn, for use as a water tower. During the 18th century it housed a steam pumping engine modified to the design of John Smeaton FRS, then a proprietor of the Waterworks. It ceased to be used for those purposes in 1850. In 1932 it was refurbished and now houses the Company's Board Rooms.

Peter Hughes on Flickr
summonedbyfells on Flickr
Keith Seabridge on Flickr
Keith Seabridge on Flickr
Peter Hughes on Flickr
See also...