Eccles History Trail

19
The New Regent Picture House Screened the first talkies in Eccles in 1929

Regent Street, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Royal Oak. The beer house initially stood on the opposite side of the road but was demolished in 1903 during slum clearance and reoped in 1904. City of Salford Eccles History Trail

Corporation Street, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
Talking Town The Former Town Hall Built on the site of the old cockpit by the local board of health to replace their overcrowded rooms in Patricroft City of Salford Eccles History Trail

Church Street, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
The County Bank This stone building opened as The Manchester and County Bank in 1871

Church Street, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
St Mary's Parish Church The oldest building in Eccles, incorporating remains of Norman church

Church Street, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
Silk Street A memorial to the silk industry in Eccles in the 19th century

Regent Street, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Churchyard Laid out as gardens in 1966

St Mary's Road, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Library The Eccles Library has been serving the Eccles community since 1907

Church Street, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Magistrates Court There has been a police court in Eccles since 1890. The motto on the datestone means 'Everything prospers through effort'

Irwell Place, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Star Inn Originally a dwelling beside the turnpike (Tollgate) from Manchester to Barton

107 Church Street, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
Stephenson's Railway Station The Liverpool - Manchester line of the station was opened in 1830 by the Duke of Wellington, famous for his victory at Waterloo

Vicarage Grove, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
Talking Town The Lamb Hotel A fine example of Edwardian taste, this hotel dates back to at least 1862 and was rebuilt in 1906 Labore omni a florent City of Salford Eccles History Trail

33 Regent Road, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
Shuttle Street An area of early 19th century town centre housing, originally for handloom weavers

Gable of Albert Edward Public House, Shuttle Street, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Original Eccles Cake Shop In 1796 James Birch started baking the first Eccles cakes and the first cakes were sold here. Cakes were exported as far as the West Indies and Australia

56 Church Street, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
Eccles Federation of Residents & Tenants Associations 2001 Commemorating 10 years of service to the community since 1991

Eccles Cross, Church Street, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
Town Hall Hotel Dating from 1909 when the hotel was rebuilt, the pub originally opened in 1825 as the King's Head

Church Street, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
#Talking Town Salford City Council The Graveyard In the 19th Century, Lancashire, including Eccles, was hit by several waves of Cholera. Here the town built an overflow graveyard to cope with the victims.

Church Street, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
Pearson's Store originally built by John Pearson in 1877, this was a store for the retail and wholesales of wines and spirits

9 Church Road, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Cross Keys the oldest pub in Eccles, one of three alehouses mentioned on the earliest surviving register of 1629

Church Street, Eccles, United Kingdom

Subjects