Butler County. Formed March 12, 1800, from Allegheny County. Named for Gen. Richard Butler, Revolutionary officer. A young George Washington had crossed this area, 1753. County seat was established at Butler in 1803, and the county was home of the Harmony Society, 1804-15.

See also...
Photo of John Adams and George Washington bronze plaque
Wally Gobetz on Flickr
Photo of George Washington blue plaque
Canadian2006 on Wikimedia Commons