Texas Historical Marker

14731
10374504044 848e87459c m
Cresson School Approximately ten years after settlers began moving to this area, Hood County was formed from part of Johnson County in 1866. Cresson was platted in the late 1880s, and surveyor Madison Jones later deeded land at this site for school purposes. Cresson, like many of the rural communities surrounding it, started its school programs in one-room schoolhouses. Cresson's was located just west of this site and was torn down in 1890 when a two-story frame structure was erected here. This schoolhouse was used until 1918, when it was replaced by a larger, red brick building that burned years later in October 1930. Students attended classes at local churches while the school district worked to build a new schoolhouse. The M.l. Wallace & Co. architectural firm from Dallas served as designer, and county school superintendent Victor B. Penuel chose the appearance for the new school building. The yellow-brick, mission revival schoolhouse was completed in 1931, with an auditorium and four large classrooms. Design elements include cartouches and decorative elements in window surrounds. Fund-raisers held during subsequent years added a kitchen and indoor restroom facilities. In July 1965, a severe storm damaged several buildings in Cresson, and lightning struck the school. The central parapet on the main façade, designed to resemble the curved parapet of the Alamo in San Antonio, was damaged and later replaced. After Cresson consolidated with Granbury schools in 1967, the school building sat abandoned; a community group organized in the late 1970s to work for its restoration. Today, the school serves as a community center and as a link to Cresson's early educational programs. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2003

116 North Crook Street, Cresson, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Brahan Lodge 226, A.F. & A.M.. Set to work U.D. June 23, 1858. Chartered June 16, 1859. Named for Dr. Robt. W. Brahan. John Rhodes King, first worshipful master. Members included veterans of Texas War for Independence, Mier Expedition, Mexican War, Indian campaigns. They quarried stone, hauled it to site by ox-cart, completed hall 1871. In it churches met; children were educated. Members served in every American war; in Civil War were in Hood's Texas Brigade, Terry's Texas Rangers, Parsons' Texas Cavalry, Cibolo Guards, Mustang Grays -- from Chickamauga to Atlanta to Mansfield to Appomatox. To Brahan Lodge veterans of that war this marker is dedicated: Robert Adams, Irvin H. Armstrong; Thos. H. Barry, James Edwin Beck, Haywood Brahan, Gen. Robt. W. Brahan, Emery C. Barker, M.A. Broach, Sanford Brown; Stephen T. Cook, R.B. Curry, H. Fournah, T.B. Fowler, Ed Frances; W.F. Gardner; Bennett Henderson, Connally F. Henderson, S.L. Herron, David H. Houston, Ross Houston, Russell Houston, J. Humphries; T.D. James, J.T. Johnson, John Rhodes King, W.A. King, Felix A. Knox, V.R. Knox; R.N. Leigh, Robt. Lenox; Levi Maddox, J.G. Maddox, Emil Morosa, Sam H. Milam, Wm. Morris, J.M. Morrison, R.G. Murray, Chas. A. McAlister, Sam W. McClain, Richard D. McGee, G.M. McKay; J.K. New, D.C. Newton, Jas. Newton, N.M. Newton, Wm. Northcraft; C.R. Patton; T.J.C. Reese; Jas. D. Sanders, Wm. D. Scull, J.A. Sharpless, Robt. Sharpless; J.W. Thompson, Eli Toole, Jas. M. Trainer; L.J. Vivian; J.E. Watkins, R.B. Watkins, John A. Wells, L.S. White, Hugh W. Wiseman, Wm. R. Wiseman; Henry Yelvington. (1965) #487

FM 775, La Vernia, TX, United States

7154937419 83b02ca19d m
Dr. Jack Shackelford (March 20, 1790 - January 22, 1857) Physician and military commander, Jack Shackelford, was born in Richmond, Virginia. He earned an M.D. degree and in 1811, moved to Winnsboro, South Carolina, where he opened his first practice and met Maria Youngue, whom he married. Shackelford enlisted in the Army during the War of 1812, where he served on Andrew Jackson's staff and was wounded at Charleston. After the war, he moved his family to Alabama, where he continued to practice medicine, owned a cotton plantation and served in the State Senate. In 1835, Shackelford raised a company of nearly 70 volunteers (approximately half of the male population of Courtland, AL), his eldest son, Fortunatus, and two nephews, to join in the Texas War for Independence. The group, which became known as the Red Rovers, came under command of Col. James Fannin. During the battle of Coleto, Dr. Shackelford's orders saved numerous lives. Unfortunately, most of the survivors were executed on March 27, 1836; Dr. Shackelford was spared because of his medical training. He cared for Mexican soldiers in Goliad and then in San Antonio. After the battle of San Jacinto, he and Dr. Joseph Barnard escaped; they returned to Goliad to secure burial for the massacre victims, and then to Velasco, where Shackelford obtained an honorable discharge. Dr. Shackelford returned to Alabama after the war. Following Maria's death in 1842, he married Martha Chardevoyne. Although he never became a resident, Dr. Shackelford maintained close ties to friends and former military comrades living in Texas. His notes about Col. Fannin and the events of Coleto and Goliad remain important accounts. In 1858, Shackelford County was established and named in honor of the contributions and sacrifices he made for the Texas cause. (2010) Marker is the property of the State of Texas

389 S 2nd St, Albany, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Pine Lodge # 642, A. F. & A. M.. Organized in September 1886, and chartered in December of that year, the Pine Lodge drew its original thirteen members from all over Hardin County. William B. Pedigo served as the first master of the lodge and would continue his association with it for many years. The Washburn Building on Main Street was the first home of the lodge, which responded to appeals for assistance in the county and helped start new lodges in other area towns. The lodge began renting this building in 1923 and bought the property in 1945. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 #11164

?, Kountze, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Masonic Lodge Hall and First Baptist Church. One of the first buildings constructed in Kildare; now the oldest existing one n town. Erected jointly 1878 by the Baptist Church and Jim's Bayou Lodge # 491 A.F. & A.M. Builders were Skillman and Bricker. In continuous use since 1878, structure is of heart cypress, selected for extreme durability. Although church moved in 1950's, building still serves as Lodge Hall and recreation facility. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 169 #9826

?, Kildare, TX, United States

9653021117 b7924218e9 m
Turnersville Cemetery This burial ground served residents of the rural community of Turnersville (originally Buchanan Springs). Settled before the Civil War, Turnersville boasted a cotton gin, stores, a school, and three churches by the 1880s. The interred here include many of these past residents, with ranchers, farmers, merchants, physicians, teachers, ministers, and military veterans among them. Cemetery features include interior fencing, curbing, and grave slabs. A cemetery association formed by 1900, but disbanded in the 1930s. The Turnersville Cemetery Association reorganized in 1953, and still continues to care for the burial ground. Today, the cemetery is one of the few remaining vestiges of the Turnersville community. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2010 Marker is Property of the State of Texas

8060 FM 182, Turnersville, TX, United States

11095418194 3291ab01ce m
Booker T. Washington School Serving the African-American students of Arlington, Booker T. Washington School was a vital institution in the city. It had its roots in Arlington’s first black school, which was in place by the 1890s. The school served the growing African-American community known as The Hill, located northwest of the original town boundaries. The Church of God in Christ furnished additional class space as needed. In 1902, the school became part of the newly formed Arlington Independent School District. George Stevens and Gloria Echols were appointed as teachers, with Stevens also serving as principal; both lived in the neighborhood and are noted for their impact in the lives of their young students. The original school building was replaced after a severe 1903 storm. Students attended the school until eighth grade, at which point they went to I.M. Terrell High School in Fort Worth. A new facility opened at 500 Houston Street in 1954, officially named for educator Booker T. Washington. The building had eight classrooms, an administrative office, and a cafeteria; a gymnasium was added later. George Stevens continued to serve as principal of the institution. In 1965, Arlington public schools began full desegregation. Booker T. Washington School closed and became Veda Knox School, a facility for students with special education needs. It was later renamed the Metro Math and Science Academy. Today, Booker T. Washington school is remembered as an iconic institution in The Hill, providing students with skills and education that would help them achieve success in their personal and professional lives. (2010) Marker is Property of the State of Texas

500 Houston St., Arlington, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Odd Fellows Hall. Erected in 1875. Third meeting place for Sherman Lodge #45 since organization Sept. 27, 1854. Center of community activity: opened a school (74 students) 11 years before first city public school. At June 21, 1862 meeting all members except one elderly brother left for Confederate service. This meeting was not officially closed until war's end. Three Grand Masters of Texas and 1 Sovereign Grand Master of the World came from membership. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 #7414

109 N. Walnut, Sherman, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Rockland Cemetery, Church and School. Benjamin Thomas Ellis (1825-1870) was born to John I. and Elizabeth Ann (Goolsby) Ellis in Alabama. The family moved to Texas in 1839, and by 1850 he was living with his wife, Martha E. (Shirley) Ellis and their one-year-old daughter, Elizabeth, on the land around this site. Family oral history indicates that the cemetery began as a family graveyard. The land is part of the Benjamin T. Ellis survey. According to oral history, Benjamin Ellis, Jr. (d. 1843) and his wife, Hannah (McHenry) Ellis (d. 1861), parents of John I.Ellis, were among the first people buried on this site. The earliest marked grave is that of their daughter, Nancy M. (Ellis) Milliken, who died in 1862 after the birth of her sixth child. Her husband, John C. Milliken, who was a member of the Texas militia during the Civil War, died in 1868 and is buried next to her. Benjamin T. Ellis, who also served in the Texas militia during the Confederacy, is buried nearby. Rockland Cemetery was deeded to the trustees of the newly organized Rockland Church by J. S. and Ellen l. (Ellis) Burton in 1890. The congregation established a church and school building in front of the cemetery in 1892, and the site became a community social center. It served until about 1900, when it was moved two miles west to be closer to students' homes. Rockland Common School District #13 was created in 1911 and operated until 1939 when students were transferred to Lovelady schools. Official consolidation with Lovelady schools occurred in 1947. The union church continued to hold services in the building until 1942. The cemetery, enlarged in 1992 with a two-acre land donation, continues in use and remains a chronicle of early pioneers. (2000) Incising on reverse: In memory of Eltice Higginbotham Barrier and Joe and Laura Sharp Higginbotham #12375

?, Lovelady, TX, United States

4727216523 e97516478f m
Getzendaner Memorial Park Established in 1889, Getzendaner Memorial Park was originally named West End Park as part of Waxahachie’s West End addition. By the early 20th century, it became Chautauqua Park, named for the annual retreat held on its grounds through 1930. Chautauqua assemblies began in western New York in the 19th century as cultural program events, typically held during summer at pastoral settings. From 1900 the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and later local citizens, held Chautauqua retreats here. For two weeks each year, thousands would gather from throughout Texas and Oklahoma for the program, erecting tents for housing on the park grounds. During the assembly, restaurants, a barbershop, a telephone booth and a post office could all be found in the park. In addition, numerous tents served dining, religious and social needs. An auditorium constructed in 1902 replaced the former assembly hall, which the Chautauqua had outgrown. The new structure became the stage for lectures, concerts and other performances. Later, the building would be used for other occasions, such as high school graduations. The park has hosted other events, including a Confederate soldier reunion, which is noteworthy for the participation of W.H. Getzendaner, for whom the park was renamed in 1914. Born in 1834, Getzendaner moved to Waxahachie in 1858 and later served in the Civil War. Residents held many other events at the park over the years, including speaking engagements for orator and presidential candidate William Jennings Bryan in 1909 and humorist Will Rogers in 1927. With historic ties to the early Chautauqua years, the park remains a gather place for civic and religious events.

Getzendaner Memorial Park, Waxahachie, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Adjutant's Quarters (Quarters # 20). Erected during the 1873-1875 expansion of Fort Clark to accommodate and support an entire regiment, this structure differs from other quarters on the line in that it is a single dwelling rather than a duplex. The Fifth Regiment of the U. S. Cavalry was garrisoned here from 1921 to 1941 and during that time the regimental adjutant, who performed essential clerical duties for the regimental commander, lived within these walls. The core of this building is a three-room hall and parlor plan composed of adobe, featuring a symmetrical front and stone chimney at each end. Additions were made in 1904 and 1944. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1999 #12001

20 Colony Row, Fort Clark Springs, Brackettville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The CCC at Bastrop State Park. President Franklin D. Roosevelt and the U. S. Congress, as part of the New Deal efforts to offer unemployed workers jobs on public projects, created the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in March 1933. Due to decades of lumbering activities, Bastrop County's "Lost Pines" forest was a prime candidate for the CCC's reforestation program and a logical site for the establishment of a park. Two hundred recruits of the CCC's Company #1805 arrived in Bastrop in November 1933. With the help of Austin architect Arthur Fehr and a group of "local experienced men" or L. E. M.s, the men worked to create a state recreational park in the forest. Built of native materials in the "NPS Rustic" style promoted by the National Park service, the park structures, particularly the central refectory, reflect the expert craftsmanship of the CCC. A second CCC company, #1811, arrived in November 1934 to assist with reforestation work and development of nearby Buescher State Park. Additional activities included making native wood furniture for this and other Texas state parks, and building roads, trails, bridges, and small lakes. CCC work at Bastrop ended with the park substantially complete in 1939. (1991) #9166

?, Bastrop, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Louisiana-Rio Grande Canal Company. Wisconsin native John Closner established the first steam-powered irrigation system in the lower Rio Grande Valley in 1895. Closner successfully grew sugar cane and entered a sample for judging at the St. Louis World's Fair of 1904. The award-winning sugar cane and Closner's promotion of the lower Rio Grande convinced a number of financiers and agriculturists to invest in the region's irrigation and development possibilities. In 1909 H. N. Pharr, J. C. Kelly, John C. Conway, and A. W. Roth formed the Louisiana-Rio Grande (LRG) Canal Company to transform about 40,000 acres of arid land in Hidalgo County into productive farmland. To do this the company built two pumping stations to divert water from the Rio Grande through an elaborate irrigation system to a planned community of small farmsteads. The agricultural success of the LRG Canal Company, its successor the Hidalgo County Water Improvement District #2, and other similar operations in the region resulted in an influx of Anglo farmers and settlers from the midwestern U.S. into this mainly Hispanic region of Texas. The bountiful harvests propelled the Rio Grande Valley to the forefront of Texas agriculture by the mid-20th century and earned the region a reputation as the "winter garden" of Texas. (1995) Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995 Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995. #3140

?, Pharr, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Clayco #1 Oil Well. Clayco No. 1 Woodruff-Putnam, 1628 feet. Here flowed oil April 1, 1911, opening one of the world's greatest oil fields. Crew - Hal Hughes, Sam Turnbo, S. C. "Dad" Massengill, Lamar Weathersby, Clabe Moody, Richard Harper, Ed Beeler, A. F. Dennison, R. T. Craig. #912

SH 25, Electra, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Woodland Heights Community In the early 20th century, William A. Wilson, with the financial backing of James A. Baker, Jr., Joseph B. Bowles, Rufus Cage and J.M. Cotton, established the Woodland Heights community north of and topographically higher than downtown Houston. Among the partners, William Wilson chose to live on Bayland Street in the Woodland Heights neighborhood. The developers' firm, the William Wilson Realty Company, platted the addition as a streetcar suburb, where residents would commute to and from work and shopping by use of public transportation. Built in the southwestern area of Germantown, the community included water piped into every house, concrete sidewalks, graded streets, and trees and shrubs for beautification purposes. The developers began selling land and constructing houses in 1907. Residents soon organized community institutions, including the Beauchamp Springs Presbyterian, Woodland Baptist and Zion Lutheran Churches, and the Woodland Masonic Lodge #1157, A.F. & A.M. The Woodland Heights Garden Club later developed, which was followed by the Woodland Heights Civic Association. The developers also provided for education by deeding land to the Travis Elementary School (previously Beauchamp Springs Public School). Businesses, including several grocery stores, would also open in the primarily residential neighborhood. Many of the neighborhood's historic structures, built between 1907 and 1925, and reflecting Arts and Crafts and Bungalow styles, remain. The community was later incorporated into Houston, and today, Woodland Heights continues to be a thriving neighborhood. (2008) #14729

?, Houston, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Spring Creek School. Established in 1900, a year before Hutchinson County was formally organized, the Spring Creek School is an early and significant part of the county's educational heritage. In that year, W. B. Haile and other area ranchers collected funds to buy materials to build the first schoolhouse. Located on the Harvey Ranch near Spring Creek, the schoolhouse served 13 students, taught by Mrs. L. S. Ford that first, 60-day school year. In 1901, the Hutchinson County commissioners court divided the county into four school districts, Spring Creek being named district #4. At that time, schools were under the supervision of a superintendent of county education, who by 1903 was W. B. Haile. When the area's population shifted, the first schoolhouse was moved to Haile Ranch and later to the Terry Ranch before becoming too small for the number of students enrolled. It was replaced sometime before 1930; this second building burned in 1932 but was rebuilt. The next building, a red brick structure, was completed in 1938 and offered the students and teachers six classrooms, a gymnasium-auditorium and a library. In 1949, the White Deer Creek School District consolidated with Spring Creek. At the turn of the 21st century, the Spring Creek School retained its status as an independent school district, serving this rural part of Hutchinson County. Administrators have directed strong educational and extra-curricular programs throughout the school's history. (2001) #12442

?, Borger vicinity, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Milam Lodge #2, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Texas. The Masonic Lodge in Nacogdoches is the oldest in the state still operating in its original location. Before the organization of a Grand Lodge in Texas, Louisiana Masons granted dispensation for individual lodges here. Three lodges, Holland (No. 36) of Brazoria, Milam (No. 40) of Nacogdoches, and McFarland (No. 41) of San Augustine, were organized in this way from 1835-37. Nacogdoches' lodge organized on August 16, 1837, honoring with its name Texas revolutionary hero Ben Milam, who was killed during the siege of Bexar. Original members included Isaac W. Burton, Kelsey Douglass, Haden Edwards, John H. Hyde, John W. Lowe, Goerge A. Nixon, John S. Roberts, Adolphus Sterne and Frost Thorne. The newly constituted lodge first met in the Old Stone Fort for three consecutive nights following the chartering ceremony. Charles S. Taylor, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, and Thomas J. Rusk, soldier and statesman, were initiated into the lodge that week. Many other significant men in the Republic of Texas were members of Milam Lodge. The Holland, Milam and McFarland Lodges (renumbered No. 1, 2 and 3) organized the Grand Lodge of Texas in December 1837. Promoting education was one of the chief community activities of Freemasons in Texas; the Milam Lodge helped establish and operate Nacogdoches University in 1845. The lodge also supported several local churches and new lodges in cities across Texas. Milam Lodge met in a number of facilities over the years, using its entire building fund to buy war bonds during World War I before finally building its own home in 1931. The Milam Lodge's tradition of community service and charity continues to this day. (2008) Marker is Property of the State of Texas #14133

129 N. Fredonia, Nacogdoches, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
George Francis Home Dublin Plantation Built by George Francis, who was in 1st Regiment, Volunteers, and in Co. A, 2nd Regiment, Texas Cavalry, during the 1836 Texas War for Independence. In 1848 he brought his wife, Margaret Ann Rector Francis, and their family to Texas, and in 1849 erected this house on York's Creek. At this point is crossing used by San Antonio-to-Bastrop mail Route of 1870. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1968 [plaque #1] The six Confederate sons of George Francis, going from this house to the Civil War, were: Edward, Color Sergeant, 4th Texas Infantry, killed at Chickamauga; George, a surgeon, who died in service at Galveston; John, in the Charles DeMorse Regiment, Texas Cavalry; Joseph, with Sibley's Brigade, which fought 1862 in New Mexico; Pendleton, in Co. A, 4th Regiment, Texas Cavalry, who died in 1864 Battle of Mansfield; Wesley, in Hood's Texas Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. (1968) [plaque #2] #2152

?, Prairie Lea, TX, United States

6243793823 23aeb427a3 m
Motley County Jail This 2-story jail was erected in 1891, the year Motley County was organized, after County Judge H. H. Campbell and commissioners Dan Browning, A. B. Cooper, J. J. John and W. E. Power awarded a construction contract to local builders J. F. Aiken and J. T. Cornett. Cells were on the top floor of the structure and jailer's living quarters on the lower level. The first courthouse, also built in 1891, later burned, but this jail remains as a symbol of Motley County's frontier heritage.

Motley County Jail, Matador, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
George Washington Carver High School. In 1915, Harris County Common School District #26 established White Oak (Colored) School to serve the Acres Homes Community. The Wright Land Company, which developed this historically African-American community earlier in the decade, deeded land at West Montgomery and Willow Streets for a new one-room school. By the 1930s, as attendance grew, the school taught seven grades, with grades one through three meeting for a time at Greater Zion Baptist Church. In 1937, the school became part of the Aldine School District and house seven teachers and more than 300 pupils. The school moved to Wheatley Road in 1941 and continued to grow under Archie Baldwin Anderson, who served as principal from 1941 to 1957. Under his direction, the school changed its name to George Washington Carver School, received accreditation, and separated into an elementary and high school. In the 1950s, a large number of African Americans migrated into Acres Homes, leading to construction of a new high school building at this location in 1954. The former campus was renamed Carver Elementary and later dedicated as A.B. Anderson Elementary. In 1978, Carver H.S. became Aldine Contemporary Education Center, implementing an innovative program to attract students who were not African American to the campus. The curriculum consisted of flexible hours and voluntary enrollment for students who worked or had special interests. In 1994, the school changed names again before becoming a magnet school. Many graduates have achieved personal and professional success, and today, George Washington Carver High School for Applied Technology, Engineering and the Arts continues to be a notable institution of learning in the community. (2007) Marker is property of the state of Texas #14035

2500 South Victory, Houston, TX, United States