Texas Historical Marker

14731
#10016 Old Cherry Spring School (Das Alte Schulhaus). The Cherry Spring community was founded by German immigrants about 1850. Classes for schoolchildren originally were held in private homes. In 1859 German nobleman Wilhelm Marschall Von Bieberstein deeded ten acres of land to L. Schneider, H. Bradhering, W. Kothe, C. Ahrens, C. Kothe, and F. Doering for construction of a schoolhouse. Classes were held in the original part of this building from 1860 through 1878. the schoolhouse later was used for church services and was the site of the formal organization of Christ Lutheran Church in 1905. #10016

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10017 Cherry Spring Schoolhouse. School classes for the children of German immigrants in the Cherry Spring community were held in homes until 1885, when this limestone schoolhouse was completed on land donated by H. Bratherich. On dedication day, students formed a parade to the new building. The Cherry Spring Schoolhouse served the nearby residents until 1962, when it was consolidated with Fredericksburg. Today it is a landmark of early education in Gillespie County. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988 #10017

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10018 Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church. German Lutherans in the community of Cherry Spring began meeting together for worship in the 1850s. Diedrich Rode (1828-1925), a licensed lay minister, provided space in his home for worship services and Sunday School. Christ Church congregation was officially organized in 1905. John and Mary Rode Wendel gave land for a church building in December 1905, and a rock sanctuary was completed in 1906. Services were conducted in the German language until 1922, when occasional English services were added. In the 1950s English became the principal language. #10018

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10019 Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. Several black families were residing in Gillespie County by the 1870s. A schoolhouse was built in 1877 on property adjacent to this later church site. Blacks probably met in the school for worship services before this church was completed 10 years later. In 1887 Oscar Basse deeded this lot to William McLane, Silas Russel, James Scruggins, and James Tinker as trustees of the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church. Members of the congregation erected this simple frame structure, with its small steeple, atop a native limestone foundation. In recent years, when the local black community dispersed, use of the church building decreased and deterioration set n. Cora Phillips, widow of Paul Phillips, well-known Gillespie County veterinarian and church trustee, suggested restoring the structure for use by youth organizations united in 1974. The youth, representing half a dozen faiths, carried out repair and renovation work and gained national recognition for their endeavors. Dr. Robert Mosby, son of the black congregation's third pastor, the Rev. William H. Mosby, preached at ceremonies in February 1976, when the restored building was dedicated as the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. #10019

520 E Main St, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#1002 Commerce Street Bridge. The main ford between San Fernando de Bexar (the city) and San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo), this river crossing has long been a focal point of history. At its footbridge on Feb 23, 1836, Alamo emissary Albert Martin met to parley with Santa Anna's aide, Juan Almonte, during the Texas War for Indepedence. Mayor John W. Smith empoyed R. T. Higginbotham to build a wooden bridge in 1842. The scene was painted by artist Herman Lungwitz in 1854. In the 1850s the bridge and river (then as now an asset to the city) were described by world travelers Frederick Olmsted and William Bollaert. It was a favorite spot of noted southern author Sidney Lanier while he lived here. A sign in English, Spanish, and German recognizing the local ethnic population division was placed on the bridge in the 1870s. Law-abiding Teutons were told brusquely, "Schnelles Reiten Uber Dise Brucke Is Verboten". Mexicans however, were warned, "Anda Despacio Con Su Caballo, O Teme La Ley", while Anglo-Americans, unlikely to truckle to authority or fear the law, had their pocketbooks threatened: "Walk your horse over the bridge or you will be fined." Present bridge replaces an 1880 iron structure. Linking old and new, it spans 250 years of recorded history. (1971) #1002

?, San Antonio, TX, United States

#10020 Henry Cordes House. Fredericksburg native Henry Cordes (b. 1861) had this limestone residence constructed in 1893. Originally a three-room structure, it is a good example of the quality craftsmanship practiced by early area stonemasons. the grounds include a smokehouse, a tankhouse and a stone cistern. Cordes worked for many years in the Reliance Roller Mill and in the Stein Ice House. He and his wife Emma (Crenwelge) were the parents of three children. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10020

204 W. Schubert St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10021 County Jail of 1885. This two-story stone structure served as the fourth jail for Gillespie County, organized in 1848. It was constructed by the firm of c. F. Priess and Bro. in 1885. The ground floor housed a holding area and living quarters for the jailer. the second floor had two steelclad cells located against the east wall and maximum security cells in the center and at the back. The building was used as a county jail facility until 1939. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10021

117 San Antonio St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10022 Crabapple School. German immigrants who came to Fredericksburg in the late 1840s and who later settled in this area erected a native limestone school which opened in 1878 with about 40 students. The land was donated by farmer Mathias Schmidt who according to local tradition earned the privilege by winning a foot race. Facilities added over the years include a teacherage and space for a post office, Lutheran church, and community band. Crabapple School merged with Fredericksburg's Independent School district in 1957 after which the community adapted the building for a variety of uses. #10022

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10023 Christian Crenwelge Place. A native of Germany, Christian Crenwelge migrated to this area in 1854 and worked as a farmer and cabinetmaker. At a sheriff's land sale in 1872 he bought this property located across the street from his home. for a short time he operated a molasses press here. The Victorian style Sunday house was constructed about 1903. Crenwelge sold this residence and his homestead after the death of his wife in 1906. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979 #10023

312 West Schubert, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10024 Hugo and Anna Gold Crenwelge House. Jacob Gold, Jr. (d. 1914) gave this property to his daughter, Anna (1878-1957), and her husband Hugo Crenwelge (1877-1948) in 1902. Three years later the Crenwelges built this home. Constructed of hand-cut limestone quarried near the site, the house features large ashlar blocks and lintels, a two-level gallery, and jig-sawn wood trim. An outstanding example of a rural German-Texan farmstead, the house remained in the Crenwelge family until 1965. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990 #10024

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10025 Cross Mountain. This marl and limestone hill, elevation 1,915 feet, was an Indian signal point, advancing news of the intrusions of white settlers. The hill was first recorded and described by the German geologist, Dr. Ferdinand Roemer in 1847. A timber cross found on the hilltop the same year suggests that Spanish missionaries recognized it as a landmark on the path from San Antonio to Mission San Saba. John Christian Durst (1825-1898), arriving with his family in 1847 from Germany, received a town lot and 10 acres of land, including this hill. On finding the cross, he named it "Kreuzberg," or Cross Mountain. The Easter fires on Cross Mountain and the surrounding hills recall a German tradition of burning the old growth to make way for the new, and also commemorate the 1847 treaty made by John O. Meusebach and the settlers to establish peace with the Comanche nation. In 1849, a Bohemian priest, Father George Menzel, erected a more substantial cross as a symbol of redemption and civilization. Easter Sunrise Services were held on the mountain for many years prior to 1941. In 1946 the Very Rev. F. X. Wolf threw the switch to illuminate the permanent cross of metal and concrete built by St. Mary's Catholic Church. #10025

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10026 Dambach-Besier Home. This rock house was probably built by F. Dambach, who bought the lot in 1867 for $70 and sold it two years later for $450. This was a full-time residence rather than a weekend "Sunday House." The porch was added during the ownership of Anna Besier, who acquired the property in 1881. The widow of George Besier, Anna moved into town so her four children would be close to school. She kept cows in a pasture across the street and sold milk, butter, and cheese. The Besier family owned the property until 1966. #10026

515 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10027 Dangers Stone House. Built in 1851 by the Rev. Gottlieb Burchard Dangers (1811-69), soon after his purchase of this town lot from Friedrich Pape. Dangers, who had emigrated from Germany in 1849, was the second Protestant minister in Fredericksburg. The two rooms in the rear and the cellar were added by Dangers about 1857. The house was constructed in the pioneer German style, with some walls of fachwerk (half-timbered) construction. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1974 #10027

213 W Creek St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10028 William S. Dedmon. Served in the Army of Texas, 1836. Born February 22, 1817; died July 1, 1887 #10028

?, Harper, TX, United States

#10029 Domino Parlor. The original part of this stone structure, containing a cellar with a vaulted ceiling, was built in the early 1850s on property owned by John Schmidtzinsky, a pioneer area settler. Once used as a pharmacy, it housed H. R. Richter's jewelry store in the early 1900s. Richter also sold musical instruments, and the front room was used for concerts. His family lived in the rear section of the building. In recent years a cafe and a domino parlor have been located here. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10029

222 E. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#1003 Commercial Hotel. Alabama native William P. Daily (1865-1941) and his family arrived in Floyd County in 1911, settling briefly in the Muncy community (5 mi. N). After moving to Floydada to open a feed, coal, and wagon yard, Daily recognized the need for a hotel here. Construction began in 1912, and the hotel opened in January 1913, with 21 guest rooms. Catering mostly to traveling salesmen, Daily transported them from the railroad station in a horse-drawn buggy, and allowed them to display their wares in the hotel lobby. The hotel was renamed The Lamplighter Inn in 1964. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 #1003

102 S. 5th, Floydada, TX, United States

#10030 Doss School. One of the state's few remaining rural school systems, Doss School began in 1884 on Doss-Spring Creek Road (3.5 mi. S). Ten years later, land at this site was donated by Tom Nixon, and a small frame structure was built. In 1905, a limestone schoolhouse was built, and in 1927 the present building was added. Over the years, the Onion Creek and Squaw Creek schools have merged with Doss, but the school has maintained its small student-teacher ratio. An important part of the Doss community, the school has played a significant role in the history of education in Gillespie County. #10030

?, Doss, TX, United States

#10031 Duecker Family Homestead. August Duecker, Sr. (1828-1894) came to Texas from his native Germany in 1852. He married Louise Feuge in 1854, and in 1878 they purchased a large farm in this area. Their son, August, Jr., and his wife Lina bought part of the homestead in 1886, and in 1888 built this house with native stone quarried from family land. Although enlarged over the years to accommodate the family, the two-story limestone house is a fine example of a rural German Texan homestead. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993 #10031

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10032 Durst House. Carl Durst (1851-1923) moved to this community in 1873 and built a one-room cabin. After marrying Emma Ruegner about 1877, he made a small addition. The Dursts donated land for the nearby Cherry Mountain School, and teachers often lived in the 1896 stone addition to this house. From 1912 to 1926, Herman Durst, Carl's cousin, owned the property. The Durst house is an evolutionary structure reflecting the changing needs of its occupants. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991 #10032

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10033 The Easter Fires. Blazing on the hills around Fredericksburg each Easter Eve, combined with a local pageant, these fires recall an old tale. In March 1847, when Comanches and whites signed a major peace treaty, the Indians lighted huge signal fires on these hills. To calm her children's fears, one mother-- recalling Easter fires in her native Germany-- told them the smoke came from pots in which the Easter Bunny was dying eggs with flowers. As the tale spread and pioneers kindled the fires in each year of peace with the Indians, the local yearly celebration arose. #10033

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States