Texas Historical Marker

14731
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
George Washington Carver High School. In 1915, Harris County Common School District #26 established White Oak (Colored) School to serve the Acres Homes Community. The Wright Land Company, which developed this historically African-American community earlier in the decade, deeded land at West Montgomery and Willow Streets for a new one-room school. By the 1930s, as attendance grew, the school taught seven grades, with grades one through three meeting for a time at Greater Zion Baptist Church. In 1937, the school became part of the Aldine School District and house seven teachers and more than 300 pupils. The school moved to Wheatley Road in 1941 and continued to grow under Archie Baldwin Anderson, who served as principal from 1941 to 1957. Under his direction, the school changed its name to George Washington Carver School, received accreditation, and separated into an elementary and high school. In the 1950s, a large number of African Americans migrated into Acres Homes, leading to construction of a new high school building at this location in 1954. The former campus was renamed Carver Elementary and later dedicated as A.B. Anderson Elementary. In 1978, Carver H.S. became Aldine Contemporary Education Center, implementing an innovative program to attract students who were not African American to the campus. The curriculum consisted of flexible hours and voluntary enrollment for students who worked or had special interests. In 1994, the school changed names again before becoming a magnet school. Many graduates have achieved personal and professional success, and today, George Washington Carver High School for Applied Technology, Engineering and the Arts continues to be a notable institution of learning in the community. (2007) Marker is property of the state of Texas #14035

2500 South Victory, Houston, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Turner Hall. (American Legion McBride Post #143) This building was erected by the Schulenburg Turnverein, a German gymnastic club. Built in 1886 on the corner of Summit Street and Upton Avenue (presently U.S. Hwy. 90), Turner Hall, constructed by Henry Bohlman, was the primary community center. Through the years the hall was the site for theatrical performances, musical concerts, social events, and seasonal celebrations. The local American Legion post obtained the hall in 1936 and moved it to Wolters Park in 1937. Turner Hall continues to serve the Schulenburg community as it has for more than a century. #5571

?, Schulenburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
The CCC at Bastrop State Park. President Franklin D. Roosevelt and the U. S. Congress, as part of the New Deal efforts to offer unemployed workers jobs on public projects, created the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in March 1933. Due to decades of lumbering activities, Bastrop County's "Lost Pines" forest was a prime candidate for the CCC's reforestation program and a logical site for the establishment of a park. Two hundred recruits of the CCC's Company #1805 arrived in Bastrop in November 1933. With the help of Austin architect Arthur Fehr and a group of "local experienced men" or L. E. M.s, the men worked to create a state recreational park in the forest. Built of native materials in the "NPS Rustic" style promoted by the National Park service, the park structures, particularly the central refectory, reflect the expert craftsmanship of the CCC. A second CCC company, #1811, arrived in November 1934 to assist with reforestation work and development of nearby Buescher State Park. Additional activities included making native wood furniture for this and other Texas state parks, and building roads, trails, bridges, and small lakes. CCC work at Bastrop ended with the park substantially complete in 1939. (1991) #9166

?, Bastrop, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Clayco #1 Oil Well. Clayco No. 1 Woodruff-Putnam, 1628 feet. Here flowed oil April 1, 1911, opening one of the world's greatest oil fields. Crew - Hal Hughes, Sam Turnbo, S. C. "Dad" Massengill, Lamar Weathersby, Clabe Moody, Richard Harper, Ed Beeler, A. F. Dennison, R. T. Craig. #912

SH 25, Electra, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Adjutant's Quarters (Quarters # 20). Erected during the 1873-1875 expansion of Fort Clark to accommodate and support an entire regiment, this structure differs from other quarters on the line in that it is a single dwelling rather than a duplex. The Fifth Regiment of the U. S. Cavalry was garrisoned here from 1921 to 1941 and during that time the regimental adjutant, who performed essential clerical duties for the regimental commander, lived within these walls. The core of this building is a three-room hall and parlor plan composed of adobe, featuring a symmetrical front and stone chimney at each end. Additions were made in 1904 and 1944. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1999 #12001

20 Colony Row, Fort Clark Springs, Brackettville, TX, United States

11095418194 3291ab01ce m
Booker T. Washington School Serving the African-American students of Arlington, Booker T. Washington School was a vital institution in the city. It had its roots in Arlington’s first black school, which was in place by the 1890s. The school served the growing African-American community known as The Hill, located northwest of the original town boundaries. The Church of God in Christ furnished additional class space as needed. In 1902, the school became part of the newly formed Arlington Independent School District. George Stevens and Gloria Echols were appointed as teachers, with Stevens also serving as principal; both lived in the neighborhood and are noted for their impact in the lives of their young students. The original school building was replaced after a severe 1903 storm. Students attended the school until eighth grade, at which point they went to I.M. Terrell High School in Fort Worth. A new facility opened at 500 Houston Street in 1954, officially named for educator Booker T. Washington. The building had eight classrooms, an administrative office, and a cafeteria; a gymnasium was added later. George Stevens continued to serve as principal of the institution. In 1965, Arlington public schools began full desegregation. Booker T. Washington School closed and became Veda Knox School, a facility for students with special education needs. It was later renamed the Metro Math and Science Academy. Today, Booker T. Washington school is remembered as an iconic institution in The Hill, providing students with skills and education that would help them achieve success in their personal and professional lives. (2010) Marker is Property of the State of Texas

500 Houston St., Arlington, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Pine Lodge # 642, A. F. & A. M.. Organized in September 1886, and chartered in December of that year, the Pine Lodge drew its original thirteen members from all over Hardin County. William B. Pedigo served as the first master of the lodge and would continue his association with it for many years. The Washburn Building on Main Street was the first home of the lodge, which responded to appeals for assistance in the county and helped start new lodges in other area towns. The lodge began renting this building in 1923 and bought the property in 1945. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 #11164

?, Kountze, TX, United States

3804092496 54e65d009e m
Dr. William Renshaw Born in Illinois, William Renshaw studied medicine and set up practice in Sparta, Tennessee. His wife Sarah received from the Mexican government a grant of land in Texas, where her father Samuel Worthington lost his life in a colonization attempt in 1828. Dr. Renshaw traveled to Texas in 1853 to locate this headright, which encompassed many acres of Wise County north of this marker site. Dr. Renshaw returned to Sparta and served two terms in the Tennessee legislature before moving his family to Texas in 1859. The first doctor to settle permanently in Wise County, Dr. Renshaw was often away from home for long periods, with a practice extending from Denton to Jacksboro. The Renshaws organized one of the county’s earliest schools, taught by J. D. White, for their own and neighbor children. After the Civil War, the family moved to Decatur, where Dr. Renshaw and his son Lute opened a drugstore. They were devout Baptists and supported Decatur Baptist College. Dr. Renshaw died in 1887 and was buried at Oak Lawn Cemetery in Decatur. As his 10 children married, each received a portion of the Worthington survey. Two family members still own part of the property. A number of descendants became doctors.

U.S. Route 380 & Decatur County Road 2311, Decatur, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Willow Point Cemetery. The Willow Point Cemetery had its origins in 1882 when Anna M. English died on October 23 and was buried on land owned by Samuel G. Evitts. The next year, on July 13, Evitts died and was buried in the same area. The land changed hands several times before ownership passed to D. H. and M. M. Bishop, who deeded the property to Woodman of the World Camp #1763 in 1905. The deed stated that the older, fenced part of the cemetery would remain a free public burying ground. It is believed that the cemetery contains many unmarked burials. The northwest corner of the plot contains the grave of a Confederate soldier who was discharged from Fort Richardson in Jack County, and whose name has long since been forgotten. Also, interred here are other Civil War veterans as well as veterans of World War I, World War II, and the Korean and Vietnam Wars. Samuel G. Evitts, original owner of the site, was a veteran of the Texas War for Independence as well as the Civil War. The Willow Point Cemetery Association, organized in 1947, is responsible for maintenance and hosts an annual homecoming and cleaning day. #5852

FM 220, Willow Point, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
Parramore Post #57, American Legion. Founded in March 1919, the American Legion was established as a World War I veterans' organization. Abilene Post No. 57 was organized on July fourth and chartered in September of that year, one of one hundred such chapters formed in the legion's first six months. Soon after its inception the post was renamed for James Harrison Parramore (1840-1917), one of Abilene's founders and a Civil War veteran who had been a supporter of the local National Guard. The post's first structure was built of natural stone in 1920. The Ladies' Auxiliary was formed in 1922 and chartered in 1925. Legion facilities, expanded in 1937, housed the Ladies' Auxiliary and included what was for many years the only public swimming pool in Abilene. In 1942, World War II veterans were admitted; veterans of the wars in Korea, Vietnam, and the Persian Gulf later became members, as did veterans of other major military conflicts. The legion building was virtually destroyed by fire in 1980, eliminating the post's records. The purpose of the American Legion is "to protect the interests of United States war veterans and their families." The legion has assisted veterans with employment, financial aid, medical care, and government benefits. The members celebrate Memorial Day and Veterans Day with parades and programs. The Parramore post also takes an active role in civic service, working with Abilene's youth and underprivileged citizens. Parramore Post No. 57 continues to uphold the traditions of its founders and remains an integral part of the Abilene community. (1998) #12224

302 East South 11th St., Abilene, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
George Francis Home Dublin Plantation Built by George Francis, who was in 1st Regiment, Volunteers, and in Co. A, 2nd Regiment, Texas Cavalry, during the 1836 Texas War for Independence. In 1848 he brought his wife, Margaret Ann Rector Francis, and their family to Texas, and in 1849 erected this house on York's Creek. At this point is crossing used by San Antonio-to-Bastrop mail Route of 1870. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1968 [plaque #1] The six Confederate sons of George Francis, going from this house to the Civil War, were: Edward, Color Sergeant, 4th Texas Infantry, killed at Chickamauga; George, a surgeon, who died in service at Galveston; John, in the Charles DeMorse Regiment, Texas Cavalry; Joseph, with Sibley's Brigade, which fought 1862 in New Mexico; Pendleton, in Co. A, 4th Regiment, Texas Cavalry, who died in 1864 Battle of Mansfield; Wesley, in Hood's Texas Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. (1968) [plaque #2] #2152

?, Prairie Lea, TX, United States