Organisation - Exmouth Society
19th century bath house [full inscription unknown]
Deer Leap, The Esplanade, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Maer Bay Court. Built c1840 as a home for General Gordon and known originally as Miramar. The General was killed at Khartoum before he was able to occupy the property but it was lived in by his sister. During the period when it was a hotel, Vera Brittain, the authoress, was a frequent visitor.
Maer Bay, Court Douglas Avenue, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Dolphin Hotel. Sub Lt R. Warneford VC, Royal Naval Air Service, 2 Morton Road. Awarded VC for conspicuous bravery when on the 7 June 1915, flying a single engined aircraft, hand dropped bombs, destroying a German Zeppelin airship on a night flight over Belgium. Died 10 days later in a flying accident near Paris, aged 23.
Dolphin Hotel, 2 Morton Rd, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Thomas Tucker. Built in the 1790's and known originally as West End House. It was built as the dower house for the mother of Gustaves Ducarel, the squire of the now demolished Manor House in Manor Gardens. In 1801 Richard Webber astonished the town by buying the house and converting it into a shop. The original shop front is incorporated in the present frontage.
Thomas Tucker, The Strand, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Glenorchy Church. The original Glenorchy Chapel was founded by Willielma, Viscountess Glenorchy, in 1777 following her visit to the town the previous year with her personal chaplain. Sensing the spiritual needs of Exmothians she organised a meeting in the 'Long Room' of the Globe Inn. A dwelling house was purchased initially, coverted for worship and was the first nonconformist chapel in Exmouth. The present church was built in 1866 superseding the earlier chapel on this site.
Glenorchy Church, Exeter Rd, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Conrad Martens. This landscape artist, born in London in 1801, moved to Exmouth in 1822 where he lived in Elm Cottage, former manor house, on this site. From 1833 to 1834, he was the ship's artist on the Beagle and corresponded with Charles Darwin for many years. He is regarded as an important Australian watercolourist and died in Sydney in 1878.
Library, Exeter Rd, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Primrose Cottage. The last remaining thatched cottage in Exmouth town centre. There has been a dwelling on this site since the early 17th century. Constructed initially with cob walls but later faced with brick and sandstone. Primrose Cottage was at the northern edge of town well into the latter part of the 19th century, close to the turnpike beyond which were extensive marshes.
Primrose Cottage, North St, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Sir John Colleton. This site was formerly the Manor House of Rill or Hill, a sub-manor of Marpool, occupied in the early 18th century by Sir John Colleton, retired Administrator of S Carolina. He brought the first magnolias with him which he developed by mutation to produce the 'Magnolia Grandiflora Exmouthiensis' variety which is incorporated into Exmouth's Coat of Arms.
Library, Exeter Rd, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Chester House. Formerly Manchester House, the home of Mary Ann Clarke, the notorious mistress of the Duke of York, brother of the Prince Regent. She came to live here in 1804 and sold appointments in the Army with the alleged connivance of the Duke, its Commander-in-Chief. Whilst living in Exmouth, she lived in luxury but ultimately died in disgrace and poverty in Paris in 1813.
Manchester House, Imperial Rd, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Pilot Lights. The home of Nancy Perriam who accompanied her husband to sea, serving as a powder monkey in the fleet at the time of Nelson. She was at the battles of L'Orient (1795), Cape St. Vincent (1797) and the Nile (1798). Died in 1865 at the age of 98 years.
Pilot Lights, Tower St, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Temple Winds. A late 18th century building erected at the foot of the Beacon Fields. A pharmacy before 1830 and it remained so until the 1960s. The recent name is from the copy of the Temple of the Winds in Athens, built in 1824 at the entrance to the Imperial Hotel and demolished in 1868.
Temple Winds, Chapel Hil, Exmouth, United Kingdom
The Assembly Rooms, built in 1794 as one of the first properties on the Beacon Fields, were the centre of social life through the era of the Napoleonic Wars when Exmouth grew to prominence as a watering place.
Assembly Room, The Beacon, Exmouth, United Kingdom
The Manor Hotel as it is now known, was one of the first properties constructed on The Beacon in the early 1790's. It was initially known as The Beacon Hotel and is the oldest remaining hostelry in Exmouth. It was honoured by a visit from the composer and pianist Franz Liszt in 1840.
Manor Hotel, The Beacon, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Nelson House. Lady Frances 'Fanny' Nelson, nee Woolward, Duchess of Bronte, wife of Admiral Viscount Lord Horatio Nelson lived here during the period 1803 to 1829 with her son Josiah Nisbet to whom the Admiral was deeply attached. Fanny's marriage to Lord Nelson took place on her native island of Nevis in 1787. Lady Nelson was buried in Littleham Churchyard in 1829.
Nelson House, The Beacon, Exmouth, United Kingdom
15 The Beacon. Home of Lt Richard Sandford VC RN, who was awarded the VC for conspicuous bravery. Commander of submarine C3 on the St George’s Day raid on Zeebrugge, 23/24th April 1918. He and his crew deliberately ran this explosive filled vessel aground where it later exploded, breaching the viaduct. He was wounded escaping. He died from typhoid 23rd November 1918, aged 27.
15 The Beacon, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Byron Court. Lord Byron married Anne Isabella Milbanke in 1815. Lady Byron and her daughter Ada came to live in this house after Lord Byron deserted them in 1823. On marriage Ada became the Countess of Lovelace and achieved fame by assisting Charles Babbage, the pioneer of computing. The universal computer programming language ADA was named in her honour.
Byron Court, 10 The Beacon, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Royal Beacon Hotel. The hotel was constructed c1810 and was originally called the Marine Hotel. The proprietor changed the name to the Royal Beacon Hotel after a short visit by the King of Saxony in 1844
Royal Beacon Hotel, The Beacon, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Beacon Hill House. Built in c1820 as the first of a proposed crescent. Home of Richard Perring, formerly Clerk of the Cheque at Sheerness and Plymouth Dockyards, inventor of improved manufacturing technique for ship's anchors and as used extensively by the Royal Navy.
Beacon Hill House, The Beacon, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Dolforgan Court. Mrs Charlotte Anne Hume Long (1830-1899) came to Exmouth in 1875. Living at Dolforgan Court she became known as 'Lady Bountiful'. In 1884 she started the hospital in Clarence Road and was its Matron. In 1886, she founded the Maud Hospital and the Hope Orphanage, both in Bicton Street. On her death in 1899, her son added to her legacy, which subsequently created the Exmouth Hospital, the foundation stone being laid in 1902.
Dolforgan Court, Louisa Terrace, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Gun Cliff Gardens. It is thought that the first look-out station appeared at the mouth of the river in Roman times. Since then the narrow channel opposite what is known as the Gun Cliff has been well defended. In the Civil War the site was garrisoned to prevent seaborne relief to the besieged Royalists in Exeter. In the mid 19th Century the Gun Cliff field formed gardens to the Trefusis Terrace houses, The Devon Volunteer Artillary established a replacement battery, on the beach, some 100 yards south east of this site in 1862. The remains of foundations can sometimes be seen beneath the shifting sands.
Gunfield Gardens, Carlton Hill, Exmouth, United Kingdom
The Clipper. Formerly East India House. In the late 18th Century the site was used as a Tea Warehouse by the East India Company. They used the route from Exmouth to London by coach and horses: this being quicker than passing through Bristol. At that time tea was a scarce and valuable commodity: the quicker it reached the markets the higher the price. After 1810, when the 'Tea Bubble' burst, the premises became a high class grocer's shop. In 1955, the full licence was taken up, the premises becoming Leonard's Bar. Now modernised and renamed it returns to its associations with the tea trade.
The Clipper, The Strand, Exmouth, United Kingdom
The Delderfield Family. This was the former premises of the Exmouth Chronicle (1882-1962) which moved to the Art Deco property in 1939. The parents ran the newspaper from 1925 until it closed. The two sons Ron (1912-1972) and Eric (1909-1995) achieved fame in their own right. Ron's books and plays most notably The Avenue stories and Worm's Eye View have been made into films and T.V. Eric wrote a number of local history books.
Chapel Hill, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Globe Hotel The Globe Hotel stood on this site through much of the 18th and 19th centuries. It was a posting house and also from where a frequent coach service left for Exeter and Salterton. The Hotel's hallroom was known as the Long Room the centre of various activities from banquets, Petty Sessional Courts, theatre and for the original non-conformist meeting in Exmouth in 1776. The hotel was demolished in 1866 to make way for the building of Rolle Street.
Globe Hotel, Exmouth, United Kingdom
The Pilot Inn The Church of the Holy Trinity stood opposite from 1412 until 1824: it is thought that the Inn was called Church House Inn before the 1830s. The Inn then took a new name, the Pilot or the Pilot Boat: the vicar tries to remove the licence, but lost the day. A later landlord cut off a troublemaker's ear in a brawl but escaped jail by getting the local surgeon to sew it back. In Victorian times the landlord, Captain Axon, collected so much West African memorabilia that it was more like a museum than a pub. It now boasts on its sign on of Exmouth's lifeboat hero's, pilot 'Dido' Bradford'
Pilot Inn, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Withycombe Mill Wheel There have been mills on the Withycombe Brook for the best part of 1000 years prior to the disastrous floods of 1960 when the last mill was demolished after being seriously damaged. Various mill locations including three higher up the valley in the area of Bradham Lane and two in the area of Marpool have been recorded. this wheel came from the mill sited approximately opposite the current Withycombe Clinic.
Withycombe Mill Wheel, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Lime Kiln Lane. The ancient lane, also known as Watery Lane, is so named from the route to the 18th century lime kiln situated on the present Maer. The lane was also used by smugglers to take contraband from Orcombe to Mutter's cider shop formerly located on the Salterton Road. Mutter was a local smuggler after whom Mutter's Moor was named which was the location of one of his look-out points near Sidmouth.
Lime Kiln Lane, Exmouth, United Kingdom
The Barn Hotel. Designed in 1896 by the architect Edward Prior as a house, the building is an important example of the Arts and Crafts movement and may well be the first example in Europe of the 'Butterfly' plan for a dwelling. Constructed of local sandstone interspersed with large sea rounded pebbles and granite capped chimneys it was originally thatched with Slapton reed. Following the fire in 1905 it was rebuilt and roofed in slate.
Barn Hotel, Foxholes Hill, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Ebenezer House In 1807 some members of Glenorchy Church broke away from the original congregation, after a dispute. They began to worship in this house (built late 18th century), which belonged to Richard Staple, their Elder. It became known as 'The Little Revenge'. In 1817 the adjacent coach houses were turned into a chapel which sufficed until 1893. In that year it was rebuilt in its present form, the cottage becoming the Manse and later the Sunday School. Reconciliation with Glenorchy Church took place in the mid 20th century, resulting in this Chapel's closure. The house had already reverted to residential use.
Ebenezer House, Little Bicton Place, Exmouth, United Kingdom
This was the location of Pratteshide (Pratt’s landing place) from where the ancient ferry Exmouth to Starcross, with royal concession, operated for many centuries. Nearby stood Douste's House, built by Roger Douste prior to 1240 AD, where all shipping dues and ferry rents were paid. In the late 19th century, the area became known as Mona Island, named after one of the cottages on the site.
Mona Island, Exeter Rd, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Francis Danby ARA 1793-1861 A renowned landscape painter who came to live in Exmouth in 1841. His work was much influenced by the sunsets of the Exe estuary. He lived at the now demolished Shell House which was situated in the far left corner of the cricket field below. He became a talented boat builder constructing his yacht the Dragon Fly on the Maer. The boat subsequently sank in a storm, although rescued he died shortly afterwards.
Trefusis Terrace, Exmouth, United Kingdom
1 Execliff From 1861 to 1877 the home of Admiral of the Fleet Sir Fairfax Moresby G.C.B. D.C.L. He joined the Navy at age 13 and from 1821 to 1823 was on the Mauritius Station, in suppressing the slave trade on the East African coast he earned Wilberforce's gratitude. In 1853 he devised the flag communication code used into the 20th century. Port Moresby in New Guinea was named after him in 1873 by his son Captain John Moresby RN. Admiral Moresby is buried in Littleham churchyard.
Trefusis Terrace, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Lower Halsdon Farm Stanley Long (1918-2001) gave the 44.5 hectares of farmland at Lower Halsdon to the National Trust in 1995. This generosity was considerably influenced by the wishes of his late wife, his parents and Sir James Garbutt Knott in resisting the pressures to sell the land for development. The land will be held by the National Trust to preserve the open views across the Exe Estuary in perpetuity. The farm is also an important area for over wintering migratory birds.
Lower Halsdon Farm, Exmouth, United Kingdom
The first section was completed in 1842 at the expense of Lord John Rolle and so enabled the development of Exmouth as a resort. This phase was 1900 feet (590m) in length and constructed of Devon limestone. John Smeaton (1806-1842) its designer, worked on Rennie's London Bridge and later became Supervisor-in-Chief of the London Dock Company. No connection is known with his namesake John Smeaton (1724-0792), the celebrated engineer and designer of Plymouth's Eddystone Lighthouse
7 Mamhead View, Exmouth, United Kingdom
Data available about this as .json and .geojson