Faversham Town Council

The current governing body in Faversham have installed a number of plaques since 2000 and are circular. The Faversham Society suggested most of these, undertook the necessary research, and drafted the inscriptions.
You can see a list of places in the town mentioned on plaques - not always where they actually are - at http://www.faversham.org/pages/standard.aspx?i_PageID=159
You can see a list of people mentioned on plaques at http://www.faversham.org/pages/standard.aspx?i_PageID=159
You can see a location plan at http://www.faversham.org/pages/standard.aspx?i_PageID=15994, though this also includes the locations of similar features like interpretation panels and (in one case) a mass grave.

http://www.faversham.org/pages/standard.aspx?i_PageID=15994

Here lived Michael Greenwood, mariner (1731/2 - 1812), who was press-ganged in 1748, wrecked off the coast of Morocco in 1758, and then enslaved by the Moors for 17 months. After being ransomed, he returned to Faversham.

90 Abbey Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Benjamin Adkins (c.1831-1908) lived and worked in this house, which he designed and built in 1868. He was architect for many local buildings and supervised restoration of the Old Grammar School in 1887.

Newton Lodge, 7 Newton Road, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Thomas Butcher (c. 1827-1912) originator of The Butcher System of hop stringing lived and died here.

43 Newton Road, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Named after Edward Jacob (c 1710-1788), surgeon and historian of Faversham.

Jacob Yard, off Preston Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Here lived and died Henry Wreight (1760-1840), solicitor and benefactor, whose bequest made possible the provision of new almshouses, Faversham's recreation ground and two schools. Mayor in 1809, 1818 and 1828.

50 Preston Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Faversham Abbey Inner Gateway founded 1147, demolished 1771. The salvaged masonry was re-used in the construction of 63-64 Abbey Street. Between this point and the present 'Anchor' Tavern was the Abbey's nether green.

63 Abbey Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Faversham Abbey Outer Gateway (founded 1147). Northward from here, till 1538 the precinct of Faversham Abbey. The archway was demolished in 1772 but this eastern portion of the gatehouse (c 1250) now forms part of Arden's House. It incorporated a small chapel for the use of abbey guests and the window can still be seen.

Arden's House, Abbey Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

William Austin Chambers, harbour master, lived here in the mid 19th century. From 1880 to 1887 the house served as the Brents Coffee Tavern, a temperance hotel.

The former Brents Coffee Tavern beside Faversham Creek, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Built in 1819 to house a manually-operated, horse-drawn fire engine. This building served as the town's fire station till 1939 and was until 1926 staffed by a volunteer fire brigade.

Court Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Originally an armoury for gunpowder workers who volunteered to defend the Home Works during the Napoleonic Wars. From 1848 to 1861 it housed a school.

Stonebridge Lodge, Faversham, United Kingdom

Here stood Faversham's second guildhall. In use from 1546 to 1603. When Queen Elizabeth I visited it in 1573 she was given a civic banquet at a cost of £27.2s- equivalent to about £5000 today.

Faversham's second guildhall, Court Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
This building erected in 1980 on the site of the Argosy Cinema (1935) latterly the Regal Cinema

Mackays, Preston Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Built as Gatefield House in 1869 this was the home of Sir Sidney Alexander, Mayor of Faversham 1910-1918. It was converted into municipal offices in 1943 and renamed The Alexander Centre in 1977.

Gatefield House, Preston Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Here lived and worked Walter Godfrey Allen FSA FRIBA (1891-1986) architect and surveyor to St Paul's Cathedral, 1931-1956

Priory Row, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
The site of the Faversham Institute (1862-1979), centre for local education, culture and entertainment, and named after one of its founders John Andrew Anderson, mayor 1876, 1882 and 1886.

John Anderson Court, East Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Here lived Thomas Arden (Mayor 1548, Comptroller of the Port of Sandwich and customer of Faversham) and herein on 15th February, 1551 he was murdered at the instigation of his wife. This house is immortalised in the Elizabethan drama "Arden of Faversham"

Abbey Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Francis Crow (c. 1755-1835), clockmaker, inventor, and geologist and his son Edward Crow (1795-1846), historian of Faversham and Mayor in 1837 lived and worked here.

Market Place, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
Formerly the William Gibbs School for Girls founded in 1883 by Richard Gibbs in memory of his father William Gibbs. Merged with the Boys' Grammar School in 1967 and converted into flats in 1994.

Orchard Place, Faversham, United Kingdom

After being captured by Faversham fishermen in December 1688 while trying to escape to the continent, King James II was detained for 3 days in this house, then the home of the Mayor, Thomas Southouse, and later that of Richard Marsh, owner of this brewery in 1698.

Quay Lane, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
John White Masters (1791-1873) author of Dick and Sal at Canterbury Fair and pioneer of the assam tea trade lived here.

Court Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
George Trench (c. 1838-1912) manager of the Cotton Powder Company and inventor of tonite, the explosive, lived in a house on this site.

Abbey Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
C. 15th century Faversham's principal inn, and main centre of its coaching trade. Preacher John Wesley stayed here in 1743.

Market Place, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
One of the oldest surviving warehouses in Britain, probably from the late 17th century. Its roof is thought to be constructed from timbers from the medieval refectory of Faversham Abbey.

Standard Quay, Faversham, United Kingdom

Abbey Street, one of Britain's finest medieval streets. Saved from destruction and restored in 1958. Among those responsible were Frederick Bishop, John Hallward, Geoffrey King, Herbert Richards and Sydney Wilson.

Abbey Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
This ancient tavern, formerly the Anchor and Standard, has offered hospitality for at least 300 years

The Anchor, Abbey Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Opened as a suite of Assembly Rooms in 1849. This drill hall was designed by Martin Bulmer and built by Thomas Ware. It has been used for military training since 1869.

The former Assembly Rooms, Preston Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
This building was a chapel, opened in 1833, for Calvinistic Baptists but later used by Wesleyan Reform Methodists. It became the Faversham Club in 1884.

The Faversham Club, Gatefield Lane, Faversham, United Kingdom

Thomas Waller built this property as a house for the manager of a hat factory he started in 1832. It became a public house c.1862.

The Brents Tavern, Upper Brents, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
This pump served the adjacent stables, built in the mid 19th century for Rigden's Brewery later Whitbread Fremlins Brewery.

Crescent Road, Faversham, United Kingdom

This close, named after Bob Amor died an honorary freeman of Faversham, mayor in 1959-61, was built on the site of Faversham Cattle Market (1864 - 1955)

Bob Amor Close, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
This cemetery, with its chapel designed by Edwin Pover (c.1842-1903), opened on 17 May 1898. Here are buried in a mass grave 73 of the 108 victims of the Great Explosion of 2 April 1916.

Love Lane, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
In this house, on 6 and 20 December 1873, were held the first two meetings of the Faversham Co-Operative Society.

St Mary's Road, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
This old gate, built in 1624 in Mannerist style, gave access to the garden of Davington Court, an ancient manor house.

Old Gate Road, Faversham, United Kingdom

This building opened as the Gem Picture Palace in 1911 and closed in 1935.

Preston Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Built as a school in 1861 by William Hall. Converted in 1910 to the Empire Cinema and on closure in 1935 became a Catholic Church.

Roman Catholic Church, Tanners Street, Faversham, United Kingdom

Subjects
This 17th century building latterly The Star Inn, was a public house for three centuries. It closed on 5 October 1984.

Middle Row, Faversham, United Kingdom

Constructed c. 1475 as a town warehouse and named after the ship Faversham supplied to fight the Spanish Armada in 1588.

TS Hazard, Conduit Street, Faversham, United Kingdom