King George V of the United Kingdom
King of the United Kingdom (1910-1936)
Died aged 70
George V (George Frederick Ernest Albert; 3 June 1865 – 20 January 1936) was King of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions, and Emperor of India, from 6 May 1910 until his death in 1936. Born during the reign of his grandmother Queen Victoria, George was third in the line of succession behind his father, Prince Albert Edward, and his own elder brother, Prince Albert Victor. From 1877 to 1891, George served in the Royal Navy, until the unexpected death of his elder brother in early 1892 put him directly in line for the throne. On the death of his grandmother in 1901, George's father ascended the throne as Edward VII, and George was created Prince of Wales. He became king-emperor on his father's death in 1910. George V's reign saw the rise of socialism, communism, fascism, Irish republicanism, and the Indian independence movement, all of which radically changed the political landscape. The Parliament Act 1911 established the supremacy of the elected British House of Commons over the unelected House of Lords. As a result of the First World War (1914–1918), the empires of his first cousins Nicholas II of Russia and Wilhelm II of Germany fell, while the British Empire expanded to its greatest effective extent. In 1917, George became the first monarch of the House of Windsor, which he renamed from the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha as a result of anti-German public sentiment. In 1924 he appointed the first Labour ministry and in 1931 the Statute of Westminster recognised the dominions of the Empire as separate, independent states within the British Commonwealth of Nations. He had smoking-related health problems throughout much of his later reign and at his death was succeeded by his eldest son, Edward VIII.DbPedia
- King Edward VII of the United Kingdom (1841-1910) Prince of Wales Queen Alexandra (1844-1925) Princess of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Commemorated on 20 plaques
On this site in 1899 George Warne 1864-1916 founded this hotel in part of York Terrace Warnes was Worthing's premier hotel famous visitors included King Edward VII King George V Emperor Haile Selassie and his family Winston Churchill General Montgomery General Eisenhower John Philip Sousa Warnes closed in 1985 burned down 1987
Marine Parade, Worthing, United Kingdom where they visited
On this site at Craigwell-on-Sea in the Parish of Aldwick, stood Craigwell House where HM King George V and Queen Mary were in residence from 9th February to 15th May 1929 during the King's convalescence. The original house pre-dated 1806. The last owner was Sir Arthur du Cros who by 1934 had embarked upon development of its extensive grounds. The house was demolished in 1938. Traces of its foundations and of tiled storerooms exist under houses now on the site.
The Drive East, Craigweil Estate, Aldwick, United Kingdom where they convalesced
The Centre Court was opened by HM King George V patron of The All England Lawn and Croquet Club on Monday 26th June 1922 Architect Captain Stanley Peach
Centre Court, All England Lawn Tennis Club, Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom where they was
1928-2003 Tyne Bridge 75th Anniversary. Designed by Mott, Hay & Anderson. Constructed by Dorman Long & Co. Opened 10th October 1928 by HM King George V accompanied by HM Queen Mary.
Hillgate, Gateshead, United Kingdom where they opened
This bridge was opened by His Majesty King George V July 7th 1913 Councillor G.W. Joseph M.D. J.P. Mayor Alderman James Smethurst J.P. Chairman of Bridges Committee John J. Webster M. Inst. C.E. M. Mech.E. Engineer
Warrington Bridge, Mersey Street, Warrington, United Kingdom where they opened
Their majesties King George & Queen Mary when visiting Becontree on Tuesday 12th June 1923 took tea in this cottage & planted two trees on the adjacent green.
20 Bushgrove Road, Dagenham, London, United Kingdom where they took tea
1928-2003 Tyne Bridge 75th Anniversary. Designed by Mott, Hay and Anderson. Constructed by Dorman Long & Co. Opened 10th October 1928 by HM King George V accompanied by HM Queen Mary.
Junction of Sandhill and Quayside, west side of Tyne Bridge pillar., Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom where they opened
H.M.S. Victory laid down 1759 launched 1765 was after 157 years of service placed 1922 in her present berth the oldest dock in the world and restored to her condition as at Trafalgar under the superintendence of the Society for Nautical Research to commemorate the completion of the work this tablet was unveiled on 17th July 1928 by H.M. King George V
Lower Gun Deck, HMS Victory, Portsmouth, United Kingdom where they unveiled (1928)
This chalet was used by their majesties King George V and Queen Mary in the month of March, 1935
Duke's Drive, Eastbourne, United Kingdom where they visited (1935)
On the 6th day of April 1933 His Majesty King George V. was graciously pleased to command that this lock opened on the 15th day of March by his son H.R.H. The Prince George, K.G. should thenceforth be known as The Prince George Lock. [full inscription unknown]
Albion Street, Shoreham-by-sea, United Kingdom where they commanded
This memorial was erected as part of the Queensway Tunnel Diamond Jubilee Celebrations in remembrance of those who died during it's construction. Work on the tunnel was commenced on 16th December 1925 at this site by Her Royal Highness Princess May and this great feat of engineering was opened at Old Haymarket on 18th July 1934 by His Majesty King George V.
Georges Dock Building, Georges Dock Way, Liverpool, United Kingdom where they opened
Railway Station. Before 1848, only aristocratic or wealthy classes could visit Harrogate, but the opening in that year of railway lines to Brunswick and Starbeck stations enabled great numbers of the general public to visit the town in search of health and leisure. Visitors had to travel to central Harrogate by horse-drawn carriage or donkey cart, but in 1862 the North Eastern Railway Company constructed a link line with a new station in the developing area of central Harrogate. Designed by company architect Thomas Prosser, who had also designed York Railway Station, the new station was the first public building in Harrogate to be built of brick. In 1896, an improvement programme provided extended platforms and a beautiful glazed entrance canopy, by which time the station boasted eight platforms. At this time, the often exclusive nature of Harrogate’s visitors entitled the Station Master the rare honour of wearing a silk top hat. In 1965 the Victorian station building was replaced by the present structure designed by Harold Taylor as part of a tower block development. This plaque was presented by Northern Rail in 2012 to mark the 150th anniversary of the opening of central Harrogate’s Railway Station. British Monarchs who have passed through it have included King George V, Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth II.
Railway Station, Station Parade, Harrogate, United Kingdom where they passed through
Stockport Town Hall. Opened on 7th July 1908. The Town Hall was designed by Alfred Brumwell Thomas in a neo-Wren style and opened by TRH the Prince and Princess of Wales
Edward Street, Stockport, United Kingdom where they was (1908)
On 9th July 1913, King George V and Queen Mary visited this house [full inscription unknown]
43 Market Street, Shawforth, United Kingdom where they visited (1913)
His Majesty King George the fifth lay in state here From the twenty-third of January until his Burial at Windsor on the twenty-eighth of January nineteen hundred & thirty-six
Westminster Hall, London, United Kingdom where they lay in state (1936)
Tyne Bridge opened by His Majesty King George V. 10th October 1928. Alderman Stephen Easten, O.B.E., J.P. Lord Mayor of Newcastle upon Tyne. Alderman William Edwin Wardill, J.P. Mayor of Gateshead.
Tyne Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom where they was
The King and Queen visited the May Fair Hotel
, Londonderry, United Kingdom where they was
His majesty King George V laid this stone via electrical connection from the works of Sir James Caird Bart. on 10th July 1914.
Shore Terrace, Dundee, United Kingdom where they laid the stone (1914)
This cottage was visited by their majesties King George V and Queen Mary. March 25th 1914.
20 Bedford Road/Royal Lodge, Port Sunlight, United Kingdom where they visited (1914)
King George V 1865-1936 Bequeathed the title of Regis on the town after convalescing here in 1929
Clarence Road, Bognor Regis, United Kingdom where they convalesced (1929)