Hogg's Yard (No.17).This yard takes its name from a family who kept a public bake-house here for many years in the 1800s. Ann Hogg, a baker, lived next to the yard entrance in the 1840s. In 1841 the yard had 52 residents whose occupations included labourers, weavers and nail makers. Many cottages had outside staircases to prevent flooding from the river Kentm which a workshop in the undercroft and the dwelling above. The cottages were demolished in the 1960s to make way for Peppercorn Lane Car Park. The yard was renovated in 2003 by the Kirkland Partnership.
Hogg's Yard, Kirkland, Kendal, United Kingdom