Fort Worth Library. Seeking funds for a public library, local woman asked the philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, to donate "The price of a good cigar". He gave $50,000. With that and substantial local gifts, including land donated by Mrs. Sarah J. Jennings, the first City Library opened on this site, 1901. First Librarian, Mrs. Charles Schevber, was active in parks movement and local art circles. She was Vice President, 1911-1917, American Federation of Art. The old library was razed in 1938. This building in modern Classic style is four times as large as the original Library. (1968) #2028

Houston & 9th St., Fort Worth, TX
Google Streetview

by Texas Historical Commission #2028 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

See also...
Open Plaques on Flickr
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
flipflopnick on Flickr
Peter Hughes on Flickr
Larry D. Moore on Wikimedia Commons
Larry D. Moore on Wikimedia Commons
Larry D. Moore on Wikimedia Commons
Renelibrary on Wikimedia Commons
Rheba on Flickr
Rheba on Flickr
Larry D. Moore on Wikimedia Commons
Nicolas Henderson on Flickr
Billy Hathorn on Wikimedia Commons
Nick Harrison on Flickr
sgwarnog2010 on Flickr
Richard Davies on Flickr
M J Richardson on Geograph
kim traynor on Geograph