The library. Harrogate's first public library was opened in 1887 at Fern Villa in Princes Street. In 1903, when plans were already afoot to replace a temporary building on the present site with a new town hall, Mr Andrew Carnegie offered £7,500 toward the cost of the library wing on which work began on 17th October 1904. Designed by H.T. Hare as part of a gigantic neo-baroque 'municipal place' complete with clock tower, only the library was built. Appropriately, it was opened on the 24th January 1906 by the Bishop of Bath and Wells, the remainder of the site being laid out as the library gardens. The art gallery was added to the upper floor in 1930.