Corsicana Public Library. The women's clubs of Corsicana were instrumental in opening the city's first public library in 1901 at W. 6th and Main St. The city created a library board in 1904 and secured a construction grant from the Carnegie Corporation the following year. In 1906 the Carnegie Library opened at W. Collin and N. 12th St. The building included a large auditorium which held numerous community gatherings. Mrs. Mattie Houston served as head librarian from 1908 until the 1940s. A new library was completed in 1967 to house a collection that had grown to over 40,000 volumes. #11608

Billy Hathorn on Wikimedia Commons
Nicolas Henderson on Flickr
Nicolas Henderson on Flickr

100 N. 12th St., Corsicana, TX
Google Streetview

by Texas Historical Commission #11608 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

See also...
Open Plaques on Flickr
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons
flipflopnick on Flickr
Peter Hughes on Flickr
Larry D. Moore on Wikimedia Commons
Larry D. Moore on Wikimedia Commons
Larry D. Moore on Wikimedia Commons
Renelibrary on Wikimedia Commons
Rheba on Flickr
Rheba on Flickr
Larry D. Moore on Wikimedia Commons
Nicolas Henderson on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
sgwarnog2010 on Flickr
Richard Davies on Flickr
M J Richardson on Geograph
kim traynor on Geograph