Thesen House Thesen & Co. Ltd had their first offices and store at 42 Main Street, then later in 1887 in a wooden structure in Long Street opposite where this present building stands. Simpson & Bridgman of Oudtshoorn designed Thesen House in 1915, which was built by John Donald in 1917. It housed the offices and all the trading departments of Thesen & Co. Ltd. Built on a sandstone foundation with walls of brick under an iron roof the new building was 3 times bigger than the earlier wooden offices and store and had round towers at the north and south corners. A fire destroyed the building in July 1926 which was rebuild with gables showing a Viking ship, an anchor and the red with white star house flag of the shipping line known as the Thesen Steamship Company. The building still belongs to the Thesen family.

Long Street, Knysna, South Africa

The Police Station This Victorian building was built in 1861 for Thomas Prince and Gerrit de Graaff, trading as General Merchants, Thomas Prince & Co. In 1870 de Graaff sold his half share to Prince who then leased the building to Peter Carel Metelerkamp who also traded as a General Merchant, followed in 1868 to 1879 by William Lloyd. The building was used in 1883 as both Court House and Residency by the Civil Commissioner and Magistrates until 1929. In 1895 Thomas Prince sold the building to the Cape Colonial Government, which now houses the Police Station and Court Rooms. The Forest Department had offices upstairs before moving to the Demar Centre. In 1998 it was extended to include six more Court Rooms.

Main Road, Knysna, South Africa

Royal Hotel Captain Thomas Horn acquired this site from Charles William Dutton in 1856, and ran a small thatched hostelry, the "St. George's Tavern", here, which he enlarged into a corrugated iron structure. After the 1867 royal visit by Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, second son of Queen Victoria of Britain, the hotel was renamed the Royal Hotel. During this visit the Prince hunted elephant in the Knysna forest. The hotel remained in the hands of the Horn family until 1930 when Donald John Fraser purchased it, having leased the property from 1923. The present building was designed by architects Simpson & Bridgman of Oudtshoorn and built by Claude Rogers of George in 1938-1939. The foundation stone was laid by CW Thesen in October 1939. The Royal Hotel has now been redeveloped into a centre with a hotel, gym, offices and retail shops.

Market Square, Knysna, South Africa

The Old Gaol In 1858 the Governor of the Cape Colony directed that that all Divisional Councils obtain plans for the building of a gaol, which was particularly relevant to Knysna due to the need to house convict labour needed for the planned Longkloof mountain pass known today as the Prince Alfred Pass. The first convicts arrived in August 1858 to build the gaol that was sited on 4 lots of land purchased from John Sutherland for £56. Building work commenced in 1859 on a gaol designed by the government's Civil Engineer's Department to hold 30 prisoners. Resident Magistrate James Fichat laid the foundation stone on 19 February 1859 in a ceremony following in the Freemason tradition. The building was completed later that same year and the mountain pass in 1867. The gaol was enlarged and in 1883 could accommodate 60 prisoners.

Queens Street, Knysna, South Africa

Millwood House This building stands on a property purchased in 1873 by William Charles Guest, and the section on which Millwood House now stands was sold to Donald Benn in 1906, who in turn sold it to William Cook in 1909. The building itself, which was originally built in the Millwood Goldfields, was later relocated to Knysna, in sections, by ox-wagon, and re-constructed where St George's Church Hall now stands. It was moved to this present site by the then owner of the building, William Duncan McFarlane, who let the house to William Cook in 1910. Cook traded as a shoe-maker from this house, using the room to the north with its own door onto the veranda. The building was sold in 1972 out of the Cook estate to Mr Silberman who offered free use of the building to the Millwood House Committee (now the Knysna Historical Society).

Queens Street, Knysna, South Africa

The Imperial Hotel On this site stood a thatch roofed wooden building owned by William Gunn McPherson. Bought by Henry Morgan in 1890 it later became known as the West End Hotel. The present building, designed by Sydney Grosvenor of Great Brak River and built by Arthur George Watton, was completed a year after the West End Hotel was demolished in 1915. The Knysna Oyster Club and the Knysna Bowling Club both had their formal beginnings on this site. The Devereux family ran the hotel during 1935 to 1974. In 1986 the hotel was enlarged and came under management control of the Protea Hotels Group.

Imperial Hotel, Knysna, South Africa

Old Post Office This building was built in 1924 and served the community as the Knysna Post Office until 1979. Since then the building has been occupied by the Knysna Publicity Association, founded in 1929, with the then Mayor, Dr J U (Barney) du Preez as Chairman. The Publicity Association is now known as Knysna Tourism, who sensitively restored the building during 2007 to resemble the original 1924 structure. Prior to the restoration, the Tourism office was well known for the huge Knysna forest elephant skeleton on display in the large front window.

Main Road, Knysna, South Africa

O.F. Franzsen / Knysna Trading Company Designed by architects Simpson & Bridgman of Oudtshoorn and built by Coe & Bolton, also of Oudtshoorn, in 1916 on land once owned by Stuttaford & Co. Cape Town, as a General Dealer's shop for Olaf Ferdinand Franzsen, who also traded in timber, furniture and wagon parts. Note the circular loft ventilators, dentil mouldings and rusticated corners, with a local ironstone plinth. Additions were made to the rear of the building in 2008.

Main Road, Knysna, South Africa

Melville's Owned in 1876 by William Milne, a carpenter and undertaker, who built the original building. In 1882 he let one room to the Standard Bank. In 1883 the bank rented the whole building as both Bank and Manager's residence. Later owned by Alexander McMaster in 1892, McFarlane in 1896 and acquired by Thesen & Co. in 1912, who renamed it Melville's. The curved gable with decorative plaster work was added in 1922. The store was closed in the mid 1970's on the sale of Thesen & Co to Barlow Rand.

Main Road, Knysna, South Africa

The Knysna Library Built at a cost of £1250 on land purchased from William Lloyd for £65, this stone building replaced an earlier public reading room of timber construction which stood on the corner of Main (previously called Church) and Long Streets, built in 1858 during the tenure of the of the first magistrate Mr James Fichat. Mayor C W Thesen opened the present library building, with its west wing only, which was built by Cooper and Rogers of Oudtshoorn with rooflag erected by local carpenter, Andrew Hepburn of The Knysna Forest Company, on 28 November 1893. The east wing was added in 1936 using matching stone, most of which had been quarried in 1893 and stored for the purpose.

St. George's Road, Knysna, South Africa

The War Memorial On instigation in 1921 by Harald Thesen, a veteran of the First World War, a subscription list was opened and £450 was collected towards a war memorial to honour those who had lost their lives in the service of their country. Designed by architect Charles Walgate of Cape Town and built by John Donald of Knysna from stone quarried on the Brenton Hills, the memorial included a two-edged bronze sword and wreath designed by Marlon Walgate and a bronze plaque by HG Stevens, listing the names of the fallen. The War Memorial was unveiled on 17 December 1922 by The Reverend Captain Alfred Duthie, M.C., Chaplain to the Forces in Flanders and France during The Great War. Plaques bearing the names of the deceased from the Second World War and the Bush War have been added.

Main Road, Knysna, South Africa

The Standard Bank The original Standard Bank was a double storey building owned and built by James H. Templeman in 1894, with the banking hall on the ground floor and the manager's dwelling above. After leasing the building for many years the Bank purchased it in February 1919. After World War II the upper storey was removed and the ground floor was enlarged. In 2007 the Standard Bank moved its offices to the new Knysna Mall. The Knysna Municipality now occupies the building.

Main Road, Knysna, South Africa

Templeman's Arcade Built as a store in 1883 for Mrs Brown's (later Templeman) shop across the road. Partially used after 1895 by Wehrle Jewellers. In 1913 converted by owner James Templeman into a General Dealers shop, adding the plate glass windows in front, an transferring the business from across the road. Bought by Thesen & Co. and closed on sale of the business to Barlow Rand in the mid 1970's.

Main Road, Knysna, South Africa

28 Main Street This Victorian Building was erected by Hendrick Stroebel around 1877 and sold to his daughter Cornelia who was married to William Groom as well-known apothecary and photographer. William Groom ran his business here. He was sequestrated in 1872 and the property then changed hands a few times being bought in 1903 by George Parkes snr., founder of Geo.Parkes & Sons, Knysna and subsequently by his son Stephen in 1916, who raised the height of the second floor. The property changed hands again in 1943 when bought by the lawyer and newspaper correspondent, Herbert Tidswell. The family continued to live here until 2002.

28 Main Street, Knysna, South Africa

Jonker Building / die Ou Fabriek On this site stood the first DR Church Hall building, built on land purchased by the church in 1898, bounded by Grey Street on the west, stretching between Main Street and Fichat Street. It was a corrugated iron structure, also used at one time as a Police station, and later used by a newsagent, The Knysna Advertiser. The present building was built as a furniture factory for Mr. Jacobus Jonker, a locally trained cabinet maker, who bought the southern portion of the property in 1930 for £1800, with a showroom on the Main Street and the furniture factory behind. Today it houses a collection of small craft shops.

Main Road, Knysna, South Africa

Hilhursheim This building was one of a pair of similar buildings, the other being a store to the west, which were built by William McPherson in the 1860's. This surviving building was the first home of the Thesen's, a Norwegian family who arrived in Knysna in April 1870, initially leasing the two buildings before subsequently buying them in 1872. They named their new South African home "Hilhursheim

Main Road, Knysna, South Africa

First National Bank (FNB) The first home on this site was built before 1843. This present building dates back to around 1870, and served as a private home and shop. Bought by the Thesen family in 1876. Barclay's Bank DCO (later FNB) opened their first branch on 1 August 1919, renting the building until purchasing same in 1950. The small entrance door in Main Street led to the manager's residence upstairs. It has been altered over the years with the upper floor converted into banking offices. The corner gable was added later. When the Main Street was widened in 1968, elephant bones were found under the front steps.

Main Road, Knysna, South Africa

Fyfe's Pharmacy The building stands on land originally bought in 1883 by Thomas Horn of the Royal Hotel from the Anglican Church, which was then acquired in 1884 by Hendrick Carolus Stroebel. George W. Brent Steytler, Knysna's first Town Clerk from 1882 to 1914, lived in the adjacent home, named "Brent House". In 1921 John F. Y. Stalker bought the property and built the pharmacy shop in 1923, designed by Simpson & Bridgman of Oudtshoorn. In 1924, shortly after completion, chemist P. L. Looch moved in with his business, the "Knysna Pharmacy". In 1927 Hugh McGregor Fyfe acquired the pharmacy and was proprietor until the late 1940's. The property was bought by Pieter van Reenen, saw-millers and furniture manufacturers in 1944 and subsequently by Philip Finkelstein in 1958. The pharmacy traded as Fyfe's into the early 1990's.

Main Road, Knysna, South Africa

The Lychgate A lychgate is a gateway covered with a roof found at the traditional entrance to a typical British churchyard. This lychgate was donated by the Thesen family in 1935 in memory of their mother, Mrs. Bessie Thesen, daughter of Captain Christopher Harison, Knysna's first Conservator of Forests, who died in 1901. Built by E. Clementson of solid teak and red ironstone which was quarried north of Knysna.

Main Road, Knysna, South Africa

St. George's Anglican Church John Rex laid the foundation stone of this church in 1849 built on land donated by his father, George Rex, founder of Knysna. Construction commenced in 1850 based on a plan adapted by Sophy Gray, wife of the first Anglican Bishop of south Africa. The church was to be built then as the chancel of a larger church and when funds permitted, the nave etc. in the plan would be added. The church was consecrated in 1855. In 1919 the decision was taken to build a new church to the north.

Main Road, Knysna, South Africa

The new St. George's Church In April 1919 during the incumbency of the Rev. B.C. Mortimer, a resolution by the parishioners was taken to build a new church which would also serve to be a living monument to those that had died during the Great War 1914-1918. The project came to a halt in 1922 when initial tenders revealed a severe shortage of funds, and it was only in September 1926 that the foundation stone was laid by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Henry Sidwell, DD, Lord Bishop of George. The design of the church, to accommodate a congregation of 250, was by architects Simpson & Bridgman of Oudtshoorn, the tender offer of £6300 was accepted and the builder was J. Donald of Knysna. The building was completed by a Building Committee. To raise additional funds, glebe lands in Vootrekker Road and Paradise Farm were sold, and after many setbacks, the first service in the new church was held in 1928. The Rt. Rev. Bishop Herbert L. Gwyer consecrated the church in 1937 when all the debts had been settled.

Main Road, Knysna, South Africa

3 Church Street This building stands on land that was first transferred in 1873 from the estate of John Sullivan to William Charles Guest, and subsequently to Llewellyn Edwards, manager of the Standard Bank, in 1890. In 1901 Mrs Andrew Hepburn lived in this house, which was named "Belmont". The building was later occupied by Archie Benn. The property was purchased by Philip Rudolph Schoeman in 1929, who then sold it to a forester Alfred J. Herion in 1937. Sister Louise Herion ran a private nursing home here during the 1930's and 1940's. In 1981 the property was purchased by the State, consolidated with the adjacent Police Station and Court House property, and was renovated as part of the Police Station extensions in 1998-2000 by the Public Works Department.

3 Church Street, Knysna, South Africa

The Queen's Warehouse An earlier timber customs warehouse was built on the old Town jetty (where the Yacht Club building is to-day.) but was relocated to this site in 1880 after completion of the Government jetty and the causeway so as to be central to both jetties. The present building was erected in 1888 and is reminder of the years when Knysna was a port of entry for South African and foreign shipping.

Long Street, Knysna, South Africa

1924. Geo. Parkes & Sones (Pty) Ltd Offices. In 1891 George Parkes, Chairman of A & F Parkes of Birmingham, bought the Knysna Steam Saw-mill and registered the company in 1892 as the Knysna Forest Co. The name of the company was changed to George Parkes and Sons in 1902. Initially the factory offices were in a wooden structure in Rawson Street but in 1924 it was decided to build new offices which were designed by Simpson & Bridgman of Oudtshoorn, complete with art nouveau windows, which became popular with numerous buildings in Knysna. The building was erected by S. Levndhal and the foundations laid in 1924. In 1953 the building in St. George's Street was extended and the main entrance stinkwood door was relocated northwards from the corner of the building. These extensions were built by John Gray-Smith.

Rawson Street, Knysna, South Africa

1900. Lot 27 - Knysna Manor House. This property, which stretched between Fichat Street and Main Street, was granted in freehold to William Gunn McPherson in 1864 by the Governor Sir Philip Wodehouse. In 1872, after McPherson’s unfortunate death in 1870, killed when he fell from a post cart on return from Uniondale, the land was sold out of his estate to Hjalmar and Rolf Thesen, who were then living in a building on this site in Main Street known today as Harry B’s. The property was again offered for sale and purchased in 1892 by erstwhile Mayor of Knysna Henry Percy Morgan, proprietor of the West End Hotel, later to be known as the Imperial Hotel. This building was built by Andrew Hepburn of the Knysna Forest Co. for Henry Percy Morgan in 1900. In the 1930’s the building had rooms to let, where Beatrix Antoinette Lotz (later the second wife of Knysna Mayor Commander Ashley Lindsay Foakes) gave Afrikaans lessons. In 1939, the building was offered for sale out of the estate of the late Mrs Margaret Morgan, the widow of Henry Percy Morgan. During the period 1945 to 1960 the Heunis family owned the house, when it operated as a boarding house for teachers and students of the Knysna High School. Classes were also held here. In 1992 the building was re-named the Knysna Manor House.

Fichat Street, Knysna, South Africa

1859. The old Parsonage. On completion of the first Dutch Reformed Church in Knysna in 1851, the parsonage, a simple thatch roofed, single storeyed building, was built on this site in 1859. The first Dominee to live here, until 1864, was Ds. de Rouxbaix, who was then succeeded by Ds. M.C. Botha where his son, well known archivist Colin Graham Botha was born. It has been enlarged over the years, an extra storey added with the thatch roof replaced in 1881, and the north and south facing verandas have been closed in. No longer used as the parsonage, the building was used as girl’s hostel for a few years, after the building was sold to Jacobus Jonker, the furniture manufacturer, in 1952.

c/o Fichat Street and Grey Street, Knysna, South Africa

Circa 1910. 4 Gardiner's Kloof. Erf 290, on which this home was built, was originally classified as commonage and subsequently held in trust from 1893 by the Knysna Municipality, before being sold to Charles Wilhelm Thesen in 1904. This small semi-detached cottage was built here later. Frank Gardiner, an employee at the Thesen’s Sawmill, and his wife Sarah (nee van Rooyen), rented half of the building soon after their marriage in 1924. In 1945 this property was offered for sale out of the estate of the late Charles Wilhelm Thesen and was purchased by Frank and Sarah Gardiner for ?150. Sarah, an energetic builder, promptly set about enlarging the home. The south entrance Yellowwood door, as well as other doors and windows came from the Old Rectory at Rooihoogte which was replaced in 1938. They were used to complete the north and south extensions to the original stone and baked brick building. Family descendants of the Gardiner’s still live in the home.

Grey Street North, Knysna, South Africa

Circa 1890. The Geary Cottage (22 Rawson Street). This Victorian cottage was the home of Captain William John Geary, his wife Francis and children. Captain Geary was captain of the schooner Eaglet when it first arrived in Cape Town in 1872, which was later wrecked in Plettenberg Bay in 1874. He subsequently purchased the 99 ton schooner Hettie, named after his daughter, which plied the Southern Cape shoreline and further, until it was wrecked in a storm in 1885. He returned to his family in Knysna. In 1893 he ran the Commercial Hotel in the Millwood Goldfields but returned to Knysna in 1898 where he fulfilled the role of Wharf master and Outdoor Customs Officer at the Town Jetty. He died in 1919. Geo. Parkes & Sons purchased the property from his daughter and it became the home of an employee Faan Brown.

22 Rawson Street, Knysna, South Africa

1909. The Market/Town Hall. Knysna was declared a Municipality in 1882, resulting in the amalgamation of the two hamlets Newhaven and Melville into “The Knysna”, but had no permanent location to hold Council meetings. Around 1907 sufficient funds had been raised for the building of a hall on the Market Square, including offices, to perform a joint role as both Town and Market Hall, and plans were prepared by architect Paulus JC Hofman. The builder was Mr. George Tweedy. The Mayor Mr. HJ Templeman laid the foundation stone, made from locally sourced granite, in January 1909, followed by the Freemason ceremonial protocol. The Hall was officially opened on 25 May 1909. The hall was used for dances, the annual horticultural show, concerts, choral performances, ballet classes and also served as the electoral voting station.

Lower Queen Street, Knysna, South Africa

1880. Melrose House/The Convent. The lot on which this double-story building stands was originally part of the farm Melkhoutkraal bought on the death of George Rex by John Sutherland who in turn sold it to Maria Stroebel in 1860. This building was hired by the Colonial Office from Hendrik Stroebel and used as Government Offices and Courthouse by Knysna’s first magistrate, James Fichat, until the early 1880’s when Magistrate Jackson moved to what is now the Police Station in Main Street. The building then became the Residency for Magistrate Jackson. The Standard Bank opened its first branch here hiring one room at L2 per month in September 1881 before relocating to “Melvilles” in 1882. It was bought in 1902 by Thomas Horn of the Royal Hotel as an annex before being sold in 1930 to the Catholic Church. The German-born Nuns of the Pallotine Order lived in this convent and had a Primary School for Coloured children here.

Upper Queen Street, between Graham and Metcalf Streets, Knysna, South Africa

Circa 1895. 45 Fichat Street. In 1881 this property was transferred to George Cruikshank from the Anglican Bishop of Cape Town, having bought the property from the estate of John Sutherland. Cruikshank sold the property to James Henry Templeman, who built this house for his daughter May Metelerkamp. The builder was LN Willis, who was then manager of Templeman’s sawmill. In 1919 William Randolph Metelerkamp inherited the property and sold it 10 years later to Johannes Urbanus (Barney) du Preez, Knysna’s first resident dentist, who became a Town Councillor in 1926 and Mayor of Knysna in 1929. He is best remembered for his efforts in beautifying the streets and the Garden of Memorial. The western half of the house was used as doctor’s rooms for many years. The house has recently been restored to a high standard.

45 Fichat Street, Knysna, South Africa

1892. The Methodist Church. The foundation stone of this church was laid in November 1892 on land bought for L35. Prior to and during the building of this church, the Wesleyan community worshiped in the local Court House, now the police station, in Main Street. Mr. Andrew Hepburn of the Knysna Forest Co. designed the church in the Gothic style, and building activity was under the supervision of Mr. DW McFarlane, built at a cost of L600. The yellowwood pews and pulpit were designed by Mr. Leonard Willis, a member of the congregation, and were made by the Knysna Forest Co. The church was completed a year later and the first service was held on 29 October 1893. The entry porch, which hides the original entrance door, was added later.

Montagu Street, between Unity and Graham Streets, Knysna, South Africa

1935/1958. Dutch Reformed Church Halls. The first DR Church hall “Zaal” in Knysna was of corrugated iron construction and stood in the Main Street where the “ou Fabriek” stands today which, prior to becoming a church hall, had served as a police station. The first church hall on this site in Fichat Street was known as the “kleinsaal”, built in 1935 and was regularly used for Sunday School for the children. A new hall, adjoining the “kleinsaal”, was built in 1958 to accommodate 600 parishioners. It was designed by the George based architects Smit & Fraser. The cornerstone was laid on 17 July 1958. 440 wooden chairs were purchased to furnish the extended hall, and the blackwood benches in the gallery were supplied by Fechter & Vosloo.

Fichat Street, Knysna, South Africa

1883. Dr. O' Gorman's Private Hospital. Built in 1883 by Doctor Charles Gorman (later O’ Gorman) as a home with private rooms for both medical and surgical cases, this building was advertised as Knysna’s first private hospital, with the purpose of hospitalising severe medical cases from the surrounding countryside. Knysna’s first dentistry also operated here. Designed by Henry William Dunn with builder/ carpenter William Page of Knysna. The building was advertised for sale in 1903 and was later bought by Walter Williams. George Fechter Snr, the furniture manufacturer, purchased the property in 1941. In Fechter’s ownership it operated as the Loerie Boarding House and in 2009 the building was acquired by Andre Fechter and restored.

opposite Town Library, c/o Fichat Stree and St George's Street, Knysna, South Africa

1851/1904. The Dutch Reformed Church. In the Government Gazette of April 1851 approval of the DR parish and its boundaries, to be called “the Knysna”, was granted. The first church, which was built in 1851 and served the congregation until 1904, was a thatched roof structure of wood and stone, in a Gothic T-shaped design, similar in shape to today’s church, but smaller. The congregation outgrew this building and, in July 1904, Paulus J. C. Hofman of Oudtshoorn was appointed both architect and builder of the present church, which stands on the same site as the first church. The corner stone was laid on 12 November 1904 by Ds. George Murray of Oudtshoorn. The first service in the new church was held on 16 June 1905.

Vootrekker Street, Knysna, South Africa

1848. The First School/The Art Centre. John Sutherland, son of Col. John Sutherland who bought the Melkhoutkraal Farm from the estate of George Rex, founder of Knysna, laid out the village of Newhaven and built this school building. Bishop Robert Gray used the school decked out with flowers for the first Anglican Church service in Knysna on Sunday 17 September, 1848. The school was used as a licensed church for services including marriages, until the completion of the first St George’s church. The property was transferred to the Union Lodge of Free Masons at Knysna in 1874, to Charles McMaster in 1876, and was owned by the Newdigate family during the period 1890 to 1954. In later years it was the home of the Knysna Art Society.

Montagu Street, Knysna, South Africa

1929. The Knysna Power Station. This industrial building housed the diesel engine driven electrical power generators of the Knysna Municipality. In order to be feasible, a minimum of 120 householders would need to commit to the scheme, but when the system was switched on by the wife of the Mayor, Mrs. IA Foakes (born Barrington) on 8 July 1929, 140 consumers were connected, 247 electrical power poles had been erected, 50000 yards (45700 meters) of wiring had been installed and 70 lamps of 100 watts power each lit the town. The project cost L9000. The consulting electrical engineer was Mr. AS Chalmers of George, and Mr. HS Perks of Knysna built the building and installed the plant. Thesen’s supplied power to the town in the 1940’s and Eskom took over the supply of power in 1973.

c/o of Union Street and Lower Queen Street, Knysna, South Africa

1859. St Boniface's Catholic Church. The Roman Catholic community in Knysna was founded around 1861, when a small chapel and schoolroom were built in Queen Street by Father Rooney of George where the present presbytery now stands. The first church was consecrated in 1863. The first resident priest was appointed in 1891. During the visit of the Rt. Rev. Bruno Hippel of Oudtshoorn to Knysna in 1949, planning started on the building of a new church in Queen Street, and a building subscription fund opened. Plans for the new church were drawn by Brother John Tenhof and developed further by architect K. Hussey of Pretoria, whilst Brother Joseph Becker was responsible for most of the carpentry work. Bishop Hippel laid the foundation stone on 23 April 1949 and the church was opened and blessed by the Bishop on 17 October 1950. The design of the church is in the modified Mediterranean Revival style.

Queen Street, Knysna, South Africa

1919. Woodmill Lane/ The Sawmill. The first sawmill on this site was built by The Knysna Steam Sawmills Company, established by William Lloyd of Port Elizabeth in 1875. The steam sawmill was powered by a 16 horsepower Ransome engine imported from England. Prior to this, all cutting and working of timber from the Knysna forests was done manually on-site. The company was bought in 1891 by George Parkes, Chairman of A&F Parkes of Birmingham, Edge Tool manufacturers, who exported Kamassie (boxwood) needed for the manufacture of bobbins in England. The company changed its name to the Knysna Forest Company in 1892 and manufactured wooden wheelbarrows, wagon-parts and tool handles. The company was renamed George Parkes & Sons in 1902. The mill was closed in 1984 and transferred to the Knysna Industrial Area. This 1919 sawmill building now forms part of the Woodmill Lane shopping complex.

c/o Long Street and Main Street, Knysna, South Africa

1926 Wychling - This property was transferred into the estate of Gert Daniel Jacobus Scholtz in 1905, and then to Mrs.Francis Parkes, wife of George Parkes, founder of Geo. Parkes & Sons, and in 1910 to their son Stephen Gilbert Parkes. In 1924 the property was sold to Arthur Scott, Inspector of Schools. Arthur Scott was a highly respected citizen of Knysna who built this home, named Wychling, in 1926. Scott was born in Thaba Nchu in July 1867, son of the missionary Rev. James Scott. He obtained his BA degree in London and returned to South Africa in 1887. In 1907 he was appointed as a School Inspector of the Uniondale, Humansdorp & Knysna Districts, arriving in Knysna in 1908. In 1952 the property was bought by the Dutch Reformed Church and used as a parsonage.

2 Bond Street, Knysna, South Africa

1916 4 League Street William Squier This house was built in 1916 by William Henry Squier, a forester stationed at the Gouna Forest, on his retirement. He was born in 1856. On his death on 22 December 1934 the house was advertised for sale by public auction, being sold again in 1955

4 League Street, Knysna, South Africa

1930 Glen Russel This property was sold to William James Stone in 1930 for an amount of £50 by the Municipal Council with the approval of the Administrator of the Cape and the transfer of the land was registered on 4 November 1930. John Gray Smith and PG Johnstone, who later conducted their own separate businesses, built the house. Gray Smith remained a builder and PG Johnstone opened a furniture business where the Riviera Supermarket is today. William Stone, born in County Wexford in Ireland, was a retired Station Master. He died at the age of 92, on 15 June 1948.

54 Grey Street, Knysna, South Africa

1915 Helford House This property Erf 417 (Lot 253) situated at 1 Bond Street was sold in 1915 out of the estate of Captain Edward Chaddock to Olaf Franzsen, who lived here until 1923. The property was then sold to John Spensley who sold it later to William (Bill) Mayne, an ex-Non-commissioned officer of the South African Police. He lived in the house together with his two unmarried sisters, Charlotte Anne and Emma. They were the children of Joseph Mayne who was appointed street-keeper of Knysna in 1897 at 20/- per month. In 1946, on the death of the last remaining sister the property was auctioned, and purchased by Adriaan Meyer.

1 Bond Street, Knysna, South Africa

1904 Cottage at 26 Pitt Street This cottage was 1 of 3 built by George Parkes of the Knysna Forest Co. in 1904 to house his employees on land he had bought from Dirk Fauconnier in November 1902. All 3 corrugated iron cottages cost £40 each to build and were let at 4/- per week. On the building of the Woodmill Walk shopping centre in 1998, the cottages were removed from Pitt Street and relocated. A second cottage was donated to the Forestry Department and is now a self catering facility at the Millwood Goldfields.

Queen Street, Knysna, South Africa

Circa 1864 44 Rawson Street This Victorian cottage was the home of John Benn, first of a long line of Benn family members who served as pilots, prior to his moving to the Pilot‘s house at the Knysna Heads on his appointment as coxswain and pilot in 1868. This house stands on land originally part of “The Admiralty erven” ceded by George Rex to the British Navy, who it turn exchanged it with the Colonial Government for land and a jetty in Simon’s Town, from whom John Benn bought the land in 1864. John Benn served his apprenticeship as a shipwright in the Royal Navy and arrived in Knysna in 1855 to salvage the wrecked schooner Musquash. He built the brig Rover and the schooner Annie Benn in Knysna.

44 Rawson Street, Knysna, South Africa

Circa 1888 Carisbrooke This property is a portion of the farm Eastford, sold out of the Estate of George Rex to John Sutherland in 1845. It was purchased in 1849 by the Diocese of Cape Town, which laid out the housing lots here in 1883. HPL van Rooyen took transfer of this lot in 1884. Alexander McMaster bought the land in 1888 and built his family home here. In 1902 the property was sold to Albert Weeks, who was a town councillor in 1923 and owner of the second car to be brought to Knynsa. He died in 1929. The property was later transferred to Thesens & Co. and then sold to Johnny Lambert in 1954, who sold it to Maryna Bull in 1994. Since 1996 this property has been home of Architect Andre Vercueil and his family.

26 Newton Street, Knysna, South Africa

Circa 1905 Grendon This land was granted by the Cape Colonial Government to the Knysna Municipality in 1894, and sold to Solomon Terblans in 1904. He sold the property to Hjalmar Thesen, eldest son of Arndt Leonard Thesen, who built his Nordic-style home here. The design was by Paulus Hofman who also built the house. Howard Parkes then bought the property for £1000 and lived here with his wife Winifred and son Bernard. They named their home Grendon. The Nordic south gable was changed when the south wing was extended.

18 Handel Street, Knysna, South Africa

Circa 1892 Medland Cottage This home stands on Lot 31 of the original naval village of Melville, which was granted by Governor Sir Philip Wodehouse to Hendrik Carolus Stroebel in 1864. Stroebel subdivided the property and the Rev. William Breach lived in the house built on the lower half, which he later bought in 1894. He named the home Medland Cottage. Breach married Susanna Albertina Carolina Rex in 1871, a daughter of John Rex. Mrs. Susanna Rex, widow of John Rex, died here in 1892. In July 1894 Medland Cottage was sold to Hendrik van Huyssteen and in 1912 to Cornelius Strydom. In 1920 Medland Cottage was sold to Dr. William Twigg and in 1940 to Frederick Gerber of the farm Middelrug. In 1953 Gerber sold the home to his son-in-law Johannes Reinecke, Mayor of Knysna during 1977 to 1979.

28 Grey Street, Knysna, South Africa

Circa 1900 50 Rawson Street - Parkes Cottage This cottage originated in the Millwood Goldfields and was later relocated to Church Square in Knysna. George William Brent Steytler, who was Secretary of the Knysna Divisional Council, and Town Clerk for 27 years, used it as his legal offices. From 1882 -1883 the Town Council meetings took place in this building. The building was later rebuilt in Rawson Street alongside the sawmill and was rented to staff of the firm George Parkes & Sons Ltd. In 1991 it was again relocated to this site to make way for the Woodmill Lane shopping complex.

17 Queen Street, Knysna, South Africa

Circa 1900 Geo. Parkes & Sons Ltd. Colonial Timber Merchants This building served as a shop, which stood on Parkes’s Sawmill property in Rawson Street, prior to being relocated here in 1991 due to the development of the Woodmill Lane shopping complex. This elongated building of corrugated iron sheeting had a sliding door to the west, which was conveniently served by a branch line of the South Western Railway Co., connecting the shop to the Government (Thesen’s) jetty as well as to the Knysna Forest. The shop supplied general household merchandise to the employees of the sawmill.

17 Queen Street, Knysna, South Africa