United Kingdom / Coventry

all or unphotographed
The home of Delia Derbyshire (1937-2001), the BBC Radiophonic Workshop pioneer who realised Ron Grainer's Doctor Who theme and influenced the course of electronic music.

104 Cedars Avenue, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Born here Sir Frank Whittle "Father of the jet engine" 1st June, 1907

72 Newcombe Road, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Cook Street Gate. Completed circa.1385 as part of the medieval town wall, which was demolished in 1662 by order of Charles II. Only two town gates have survived from the original twelve, this is the only functional gate. Presented to the city by Col. W. F. Wyley in 1913 and restored in 1918. The building is now a scheduled ancient monument.

, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
188 to 190 Spon Street. A much altered range of 18th Century houses which include parts of earlier buildings at the rear and remains of the 14th Century city wall in the end wall of No 190. Reparied and restored in 1988 by Coventry City Council.

188-190 Spon Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Swanswell Gate Completed circa 1440 as part of the fortified town wall, remains of which stand in the adjoining gardens. Originally named Priory Gate it gave access to the Prior's lands outside the wall. Including Swanswell Fishpool. The archways were blocked, windows inserted and the roof raised when it was converted into a house and gardens were presented to the city and wall remains are now Scheduled Ancient Monuments.

Swanswell Gate - Hales Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Coventry workers made the world famous Rudge on and near this site 1880-1938. Tricycles-Bicycles-Motorcycles. Patent spoked wheels. Ammunition.

Skydome, Spon Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Dame Ellen Terry Actress. Born 27th Feb 1847 in a house which stood nearby

Upper Precinct Mall, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Weighbridge Office The Weighbridge Office was specially constructed to house the weighbridge measuring equipment and as an office for collecting the tolls due to the company. It dates from the first half of the 19th century. Originally there were two weighbridges, one on either side, byt only one survives.

Weighbridge Office - Coventry Canal Basin - Leicester Row, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Coventry Theatre The New Hippodrome, as it was originally named, was opened on 1 November 1937. It was the third Hippodrome on this site, the first situated in Pool Meadow (1903) and the second (1907) built in what is now the lower part of Lady Herbert's Garden. The New Hippodrome, re-named the Coventry Theatre in 1955, provided the venue for some of the world's greatest artistes and productions. The auditorium was comfortable and impressive in size, seating 2136. The arrival of television in the 1950s and '60s caused a drastic decline in the popularity of variety theatre. In 1985 the theatre became a bingo hall and operated as such until it was demolished in 2002 to make way for Millennium Place, the Whittle Arch and the new frontage to Coventry Transport Museum.

Millennium Place - near Hales Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Blue Coat School. Opened as a charity school in 1714 rebuilt on the same site 1856-7 with Gothic Architecture in the style of french chateau. The two octagonal stone towers embody bases of towers of the ruined monastic church of St Mary dating from 1043. The school closed in 1940.

Priory Gardens, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
John Hewitt Irish poet art Director at this gallery 1957-72

Herbert Art Gallery & Museum, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
To commemorate the life and work of Herbert Ralph (Bert) Dunkley b. 1911 - d. 1997 Freeman of the City of Coventry; founder member, chairman and vice-president of the Coventry Canal Society A canal pioneer and historian, he campaigned tirelessly to save and restore this canal for the people of Coventry. thus earning the title: "Mr. Coventry Canal" 1999

Weighbridge Office - Coventry Canal Basin - Leicester Row, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Coventry Canal Basin Coventry Canal Basin and it's attendant buildings form an area of architectural and historic interest. The unusual Y-shaped Basin was initally constructed and opened to traffic in 1769 and later enlarged to it's present form in 1788. The initial planning and construction of the Coventry Canal Navigation was the work of the pioneering canal engineer James Brindley, who was appointed on 9th February 1768 at a salary of £150 per annum. He was dismissed in 1769 and replaced by Thomas Yeoman. Later appointments of general superintendent to the company were John Warner (1795-1820) and John Sinclair. An able pupil of Thomas Telford, Sinclair was appointed in 1820 as the canal company's full time engineer and remained so for 43 years. Most of the historic buildings and structures around the Canal Basin were erected by the Coventry Canal Navigation Comapny and as such represent some of the finest surviving examples of original 'Canal Company' architecture in the West Midlands. There are three Grade II listed buildings / structures at the basin. Namley, the Canal Bridge, the Historic Warehouses and Canal House. the Weighbridge Office and Old Vaults are also of historical interest. You will find information plaques attached to each of these buildings around the Canal Basin. Between 1993 and 1995 Coventry City Council and British Waterways undertook refurbishment and redevelopment works in the Canal Basin and Drapers Field. This was partly financed with aid from the European Regional Development Fund and from the Urban Partnership Fund.

Coventry Canal Basin - Rolt House - Leicester Row, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Canal House Canal House was probably built around the 1840's and extended shortly afterwards. It replaced an earlier house which was demolished to provide a new access into the Canal Basin using the Drapers Field Bridge. The house was used by successive canal managers and in 1949 the last manager, John Kaye, purchased it upon leaving the company after nationalisation of the waterways.

Canal House - Draper's Fields, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Bishop Street Cafe Near this spot stood the Bishop Street Cafe built in the 13th century and demolished in the latter half of the 18th century. A representation of the town wall can be seen to the right and a plan of the original wall is shown below.

Canal Basin Bridge - Bishop Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
On this site stood the Theatre Royal where the Salvation Army began its mission in Coventry on the 17th February 1878.

Former BHS - Upper Precinct, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Ira Aldridge (1807-1867) African American actor was Manager here of The Coventry Theatre in 1828 during the struggle to abolish slavery

Former BHS - Upper Precinct, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Lidice In 1942 the Nazis killed all the men in Lidice Czechoslovakia, took the women and most of the children into concentration camps and then razed the village to the ground. This crime was committed as a reprisal for the assassination of the Nazi leader Heydrich, A new Lidice has now been built and a garden of friendship and peace with roses blooming in it donated by peace loving people from all over the world. This plaque was unveile by the Mayor of Lidice Madam M Jarosova in the presence of His Excellency the Czechoslovak Ambassador Dr. M. Zemla and the Right Worshipful the Lord Mayor of Coventry Councillor W. Spencer on Monday the 19th June 1972 to mark the naming of this area Lidice Place as a symbol of the friendship link between Lidice and Coventry born out of war time destruction and now devoted to international understanding and peace.

Corporation Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

Caroline (Cara) Bray and her husband Charles were close friends of George Eliot, the Victorian novelist who attended school in nearby Warwick Row.

Greyfriars Green, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Jaguar E-type Designed by Malcolm Sayer under the direction of Sir William Lyons (HonFIMechE) the Jaguar E-type is a direct descendant of the cars which won five Le Mans 24 hour races during the 1950s. It introduced breakthrough motor engineering technology such as the combined monocoque-spaceframe which in later years was adopted by Formula one.

Jaguar Heritage, Browns Lane, Allesley, Coventry, United Kingdom

Air Commodore Sir Frank Whittle OM, KBE, CB, FRS, FRAes. This statue celebrates the centenary of Frank Whittle's birth in Coventry and shows him watching the first test flight of a jet-propelled Gloster-Whittle E28/39 on 15 May 1941 at RAF Cranwell. Sculpture by Faith Winter unveiled on 1 June 2007

Millennium Place - near Hales Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Mr George Nightclub was located on this site. The Specials played a four month residency here as The Automatics

Lower Precinct, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Site of Earlsdon's first Co-Op Store opened 1896

Moor Street, Earlsdon, Coventry, United Kingdom

St Mary's Hall. Built 1340-1460 restored 1824 thought to include parts of a 12 century castle in the south wall. Originally the guild hall and chambers for the Merchants Guilds of St Mary and Holy Trinity founded 1340 and 1364. Became the first seat of local government int eh town. Mayor J. Ward elected 1346 started an unbroken series to the present day. The building is scheduled as an ancient monument

Bayley Lane, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Virgin Records. Pete Waterman OBE the first Specials manager ran the Soul Hole record shop on the first floor of this building. John 'Brad' Bradbury of The Specials worked here, as did The Automatics vocalist Tom Strickland

Virgin Records/Soul Hole, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Binley Oak. It was in the backroom of this public house that The Specials unique ska sound was originally created and where Pauline Black first became a member of The Selector

Binley Oak, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Site of Tiffany's Nightclub. 2-Tone bands The Specials, The Selecter, The Beat, Madness, The Swinging Cats and The Bodysnatchers all played at this once popular venue

Tiffany's Nightclub (Central Library), Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
51 Albany Road The birthplace of 2-Tone The ska phenomenon was created here by Jerry Dammers, The Specials and The Selecter It also served as the HQ for the iconic 2-Tone Record label

51 Albany Rd, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Coventry Canal Basin It was here in 1979 that photographers Chalkie Davies & Carol Starr took a set of iconic images that graced the covers of the first two Specials albums

Canal Basin, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Holyhead Youth Club. In the basement of this building reggae and blues jam sessions took place between Charley Anderson, Aitch Bembridge, Desmond Brown, Neol Davies, Lynval Golding, Arthur 'Gaps' Hendrickson, Silverton Hutchinson, Ray King and others. The music created here was fundamental in the development of the 2-Tone sound that would follow. Neville Staple also operated a sound system from here.

Holyhead Youth Club (now Artspace), Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Coventry University (The Lanch) Jerry Dammers and Horace Panter of The Specials and Pauline Black of The Selecter all attended this University. The song 'Rat Race' was conceived in this building and the promotional video was subsequently filmed in the Main Hall in 1980.

Coventry University (The Lanch), Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Hand and Heart. In the late 70's, early 80's this public house was a major venue for the emerging Coventry music scene and played host to a plethora of artists including The Specials

The Hand and Heart, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Horizon Studios The renowned Horizon Studio complex stood across the road from here. It was there that The Specials and The Selecter recorded much of their classic work during 1979/1980

Horizon Studios site on Rocket Pub, Warwick Road, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Whitley Abbey Bridge built between 1755 and 1765 'Many feet walked here in years past and will do in years to com...' text by: Emma Stevenson (12) drawing by: Gary Piazzon (15) Whitley Abbey School 2005

Abbey Road, Whitley Village, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
1 Russell Terrace, 31 Allesley Old Road. William Henry Hill watch manufacturer

31 Allesley Old Road, Spon End, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Draper's Hall. Built 1832 with an east wing added 1864. The third hall on this site since 1637 for the Drapers Company, formed in 1247. Neoclassical Greek style by architects T. Rickman and H. Hutchinson. Witha fine interior in Grecian decorative moulded plasterwork

St Mary Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

The ruined cathedral Church of St Michael. Dates from 1300AD. One of the largest parish churches in England, built originally for the Earl's half of Coventry, it became the cathedral of the Diocese of Coventry in 1918. The magnificent west tower and spire built in 1374-1450 is 295 feet (90 metres) high. It dominates the city centre and survived the air raid of 14 November 1940 which destroyed the remainder of the church

St Michael's Avenue, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Heath Hotel. In October 1977 history was made when The Specials played their very first gig here as The Automatics

807 Foleshill Road (ex Heath Hotel), Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
The old grammar school (St John's Hospital). Former chapel circa 1340 of the Hospital of St John the Baptist founded in the 12th century. After dissolution of the monastries it was converted circa 1550 into a Free Grammar School (King Henry VIII School). The school moved to its present site in Warwick Road in 1885. Sir William Dugdale historian was a pupil here in 1615-1620. The building is now a scheduled ancient monument.

Cnr Hales St and Bishop St, Coventry, United Kingdom

28 Lord Street residence and workshop of Charles Read Watch Manufacturer 1874 1900

Lord Street, Chapelfields, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
22 Craven Street formerly 81 Craven Street C T Hewitt & Sons watch manufacturers 1896 1909 formerly Charles Flint watch manufacturer 1876 1886

22 Craven Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
125 Craven Street formerly 49A Craven Street James Adams Watch Manufacturer 1874 - 1883

125 Craven Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
35 Mount Street one of the workshops of the Coventry Co Operative Watch Manufacturing Society Ltd set up by local watchmakers in 1876 about 1900 they moved to Stanley Terrace and ceased trading in 1918

35 Mount Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

10 Russell Terrace 49 Allesley Old Road William Williamson Gold Watch Dial Maker

?, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Collegiate and Parish Church of St. John the Baptist This church was founded in 1344 by Queen Isabella widow of King Edward II, on land called 'Babblake' and was granted by her to the Guild of St. John the Baptist. It was to be served by two chaplains from the 'College of Bablake'. Those priests were to say a daily mass for, the repose of the soul of her late husband King Edward II, her son King Edward III, her daughter in law Queen Phiippa, her grandson Edward the Black Prince and members of the Guild of St. John. The building was consecrated on 2nd May 1350 to God and St. John the Baptist. By the time of the dissolution of the Guilds in 1548, the church was closed and given to the Mayor of the Corporation. During the time of the Commonwealth (1642-1660), the church was used as a prison for Royalist soldiers captured at the Battle of Preston. As the sympathies of the citizens of Coventry lay with the Parliamentarians, they gave the Royalist prisoners a hostile reception giving rise to the saying 'sent to Coventry', meaning that someone is ignored or treated coldly. After many years lying empty, occasionally being used to hold markets and as a stretch yard for dyed cloth, the Corporation agreed to reopen the church as a place of worship. It was created a Parish Church on 24th July 1734. Today the church serves the spiritual and other needs of this community and the city.

St. John the Baptist Parish Church, Corporation Street, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Ford's Hospital Named after William Ford who's will of 1509 endowed the almshouses. Built around a narrow court yard it is one of the most perfect examples of timber framed architecture in the country. Badly damaged by an air raid of November 1940 but rebuilt with original timbers 1951-53.

Ford's Hospital, Greyfriars Lane, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Lady Godiva Clock At every hour the clock at the top of this tower sets in motion in the openings below, puppets recalling the legend of Lady Godiva's famous ride naked through Coventry. Peeping Tom, the tailor who disobeyed her command to stay behind closed shutters is seen to look out of an upper window and is stricken with blindness.

Hertford Street Shopping, Broadgate, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
The Architect's Vision Gibson and Coventry were seen to be pioneers in urban planning as the radically different face of their city centre took shape. 'One of the finest shopping centres in the world' The shopping precinct in Coventry has been recognised as a model for a number of similar centres throughout the world. It was the world's first large scale pedestrianised shopping area. The Planning By the end of the 1930s Coventry had outgrown it's city centre. The population had become far greater than that with which it's still largely medieval central area and road system could cope. It soon became clear that the only adequate answer would be an extensive reconstruction but there was neither the legislation nor the finance available to make this a practical proposition. In 1938, 29 year old Donald Gibson was appointed City Architect. Gibson was the first architect Coventry had ever had. He was filled with a drive and enthusiasm to experiment and also a care for the way people should live. He was surrounded by a small dedicated team and his grand scheme started to take shape for the redesign of the congested city centre. He believed there was a need to get away from the idea that motor traffic and pedestrians must mix together in a shopping street. Gibson said that pedestrians could move about freely and safely in precincts or arcades. If it had not been for the terrible blitz by the Luftwaffe he may never have had the opportunity to make his ideas a reality. However with large areas levelled by the bombing he had the chance to start with a relatively clean sheet. The Precinct The central theme of his plan was a precinct of shops to which there would be motor access to the rear for service vehicles. The idea was to bring back the comfortable and more spacious days when wondering from shop to shop was not done at the mercy of vehicles. Coventry's pedestrian precinct was designed to be aligned with the cathedral spire of St. Michael's. The use of a spire as an architectural vista was later copied by both Hanover and Japan. Two storey shops were developed in order to get more shops into a smaller walking distance. This tier system was based on Chester's Rows. The precinct was largely completed by the end of 1955. "If you cannot put up buildings of your own time, you might as well forget it. A town must live, you cannot wait until fashions change." Sir Donald Gibson

Upper Precinct Mall, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Sir Donald Gibson CBE Gibson was regarded as a pioneer modern architect and his work made him one of the most influential architects of his generation. 'He was ahead of his time. What he did astonished the world. Coventry desperately needed his inspiration' Gibson, Sir Donald Evelyn Edward, C.B.E., D.C.L., M.A., P.P.R.I.B.A., D.I.S.T., T.P., M.T.P.I., T.P.I. Born 11th October 1908, Died December 1991 Gibson was Coventry's first City Architect. He was regarded as a pioneer modern architect and his work made him one of the most influential architects of his generation. He may never have the chance to put his ideas into action, but for the terrible bombing. Within a fortnight of the November 1940 Blitz of Coventry, the City Council had set up a re-development committee and along with powerful allies and devoted members were able to begin the drive to rebuild the city. Gibson was the sort of genius who wanted to throw off sparks of imagination and his ideas. He was way ahead of his time, what he did was astonishing and Coventry desperately needed his inspiration. Many people thought that his ideas would sweep away too much of the old city, but his ideas encompassed old details amongst the open spaces and uncluttered views of his new vision. The alignment of the shopping precinct with the cathedral spire was a moment of inspiration that was to be copied by other cities worldwide. Gibson achieved many firsts as the City Architect. Apart from the first pedestrian precinct there was the first rooftop parking, the first postwar civic theatre, the circular retail market and experimental building methods. Planners and architects all around the world came to see what was happening in Coventry. Characteristically Gibson was prepared to acknowledge the fact that given his time again he might do some things differently. "If you cannot put up buildings of your own time, you might as well forget it. A town must live, you cannot wait until fashions change" In 1955 Sir Donald left Coventry, this meant that his personal vision was never completed. He became County Architect in Nottinghamshire, where he worked on radical new building techniques. Gibson went on to a Knighthood and became in effect the government's senior architect, raising architectural standards during his tenure. However it is for his pioneering work in Coventry that he will be best remembered. It made him one of the most influential architects of his generation.

Upper Precinct Mall, Coventry, United Kingdom

Subjects
Swift Quinton Works. Originally the office block of S. & B. Gorton's Cycle Works, built in 1890 (Quinton Cycle Company 1891, New Beeston Cycle Company 1896). Under the motor enterpreneur, Harry J. Lawson, the latter company produced a 11/4 - hp motor tricycle here in August 1896, the only British-built entry in the London to Brighton 'Emancipation Run' that November. Along with the Daimler wagonettes assembled at the 'Motor Mills' in 1896, it marks the birth of the British Motor Industry in Coventry. As the Beeston Motor Company, the firm produced cars commercially from 1897-1900. The building then became Radenaker's Chocloate Factory until 1905 and the Swift Motor Company Works until 1931. It was restored and adapted for use as an hotel in 1998-99.

Parkside, Coventry, United Kingdom