Texas Historical Marker

14731
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10053 The August Hennersdorf House. August and Johanne Hennersdorf migrated to Fredericksburg from Prussia in 1855. In the early 1900s they constructed this frame and limestone residence for their family. Evidence indicates the floor joists under the frame portion of the home may be the octagonal wooden columns from Fredericksburg's original vereins Kirche, which had been dismantled in 1896. Members of the Hennersdorf family owned the property for ninety years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #10053

205 W. Austin, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10054 Hill Crest Cemetery. This graveyard is closely associated with the Morris Ranch, an early international race horse breeding and training facility in Gillespie county. Charles Morris, whose Uncle Francis owned the ranch, served as its first general manager and was assisted by his brothers and sisters. Their father, william, died in 1894, and his grave bears the earliest legible tombstone here, although there may be earlier unmarked burial sites. The cemetery contains the graves of many Morris family descendants and other settlers of the Morris Ranch community. #10054

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10055 Hoerster Building. Built at the turn of the century for J. A. Hoerster, this structure has housed a number of businesses over the years and was later owned by the Wieser family for over 52 years. The limestone Victorian commercial building exhibits its original storefront with narrow first-story columns and second-floor balcony with balustrade and bracketed columns. Occupants of the building have included retail stores, a barber shop, dentist, and city offices. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988 #10055

242-244 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10056 Holy Ghost (Heilige Geist) Evangelical Protestant Church. This congregation traces its origins to the first Protestant services held in Fredericksburg by the Rev. Henry Basse in 1846. Members worshiped at the old Vereins Kirche until 1888 when Carl Priess gave this lot for a new building. The first portion of the structure was dedicated in 1893. The tower houses an original bell from the Vereins Kirche. In 1948-49 the building was remodeled and enlarged, and the congregation became Holy Ghost Lutheran Church. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10056

113 San Antonio St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10057 Homestead of Karl Itz. Karl Itz (ca. 1838-1908), a native of Westerburg, Germany, arrived in Texas in 1852 and settled in Gillespie County. He married Henrietta Evers (1839-1923) in 1856. At the outbreak of the Civil War Itz joined a group of German immigrants in support of the Union. Marching toward Mexico in August 1862, the men encountered Confederate forces at the Battle of the Nueces. Though many of the Germans were killed, Itz was not injured and lived in hiding until the war ended. He moved his family to this site and built a stone home in 1875. A log house was later added. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1987 #10057

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10058 H. C. Keese Home. German native Henry C. Keese (b. 1834) built this farmhouse soon after he purchased the land in the 1870s. Constructed of wood and hand-hewn native rock, it included a large downstairs living area, a kitchen, and second floor bedrooms. Keese and his wife Caroline survived the hardships of frontier life, including attacks by hostile Indians, and members of their family owned the homesite for almost a century. Traces of the early farm are still evident. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10058

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10059 Heinrich and Johanna Borchers Kensing. (November 11, 1822 - July 26, 1865) (August 4, 1823 - July 29, 1865) German immigrants, arriving in Texas in 1845, and migrating to Gillespie County by 1850. In 1862 the Kensings moved into Mason County (about 7 miles NW) On July 26, 1865, the couple were attacked by Indians near Platt Kopf (1.5 miles N). Kensing died instantly; his wife died on the 29th, at the conrad Welge house (1/3 mile NE), leaving 7 children. #10059

?, Cherry Spring, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#1006 Community of Clyde. Settlers began moving to this area when the Texas and Pacific Railroad completed its line in December 1880. Many located near the commissary of railroad crew foreman Robert Clyde, for whom the town is named. A post office was established in 1881. The schoolhouse was used for church meetings and local court proceedings. A sign on the water tower in 1920 proclaimed Clyde "The California of Texas" because of its fertile soil and shallow water table. On three separate occasions, in 1895, 1938, and 1950, destructive tornadoes have hit the community. (1980) #1006

?, Clyde, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10060 The Christian Kraus Homestead. This house was begun in 1859 by Christian Kraus when he and his wife, Anna Maria, settle din the Klein Frankreich (Little France) community. Kraus farmed and taught school here. The Krauses reared their 7 children and the 7 children of Peter Burg, who was killed by the Haengebrande during the Civil War. Kraus, who was instrumental in building St. Mary's Catholic Church (Fredericksburg), added a wing and second story to his stone vernacular home in 1879. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984 #10060

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10061 Liveoak Creek Log Cabin. This dogtrot cabin was probably built before 1852, when surveyor J. L. Ankrin sold this property to John Peter Keller, one of the first Gillespie County commissioners. It was later owned by Keller's son-in-law, Francis Kettner, Gillespie and Mason County public official. Anton and Anna Loth bought the land in 1886 and in 1901 erected a 2-story native stone house nearby. The cabin was then used as a barn and corn crib. It was restored in 1973 by Mr. and Mrs. I. D. Lewis. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976 #10061

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10062 Lyndon Baines Johnson. The 36th President of the United States was born here on August 27, 1908; son of a state legislator (1905-1917), Sam Ealy Johnson, Jr., and Rebekah Baines Johnson, a teacher. The house was built in 1906 with the help of neighbors. The Johnsons and Bainesses - early settlers - were ministers, Indian fighters, newspapermen, college professors, ranchers. Original house burned, and was rebuilt by the President. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 #10062

?, Stonewall, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10063 Lyndon Baines Johnson. The 36th President of the United States of America As a 12-year-old student attended classes of the 8th grade here at the old Stonewall school from October 1920 to June 1921. #10063

?, Stonewall, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10064 Old Kammlah House. Four front rooms with outside stair to attic, built 1849 by German settler Henry Kammlah I. Smokehouse and rooms at rear added 1875. Old world technique of wall plaster over woven twig supports used in interior. Henry Kammlah II and wife Amalia, opened a general store in front room in 1870. This was continued by Henry III until 1924. House purchased 1956 and restored as museum by Gillespie County Historical Society. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966 #10064

309 - 315 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10065 Kiehne-Hermann Home. German-born Frederick Kiehne (1811-98), a blacksmith and Gillespie County commissioner, built this structure in 1850. It was the first two-story home in Fredericksburg, although many older residences had sleeping lofts. the hand-cut limestone, adobe bricks, and native timbers were materials often used by pioneer builders. The house was enlarged about the 1860s and again in the 1930s, when Walter Foerster was owner. It was restored in 1973-74 by Maria and ronald Herrmann. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976 #10065

405 E. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10066 Johann Joseph Knopp House. Built of native stone in 1871, soon after Knopp and his wife Katherina (Stein) came to America. From Germany they traveled six weeks by clipper ship to Indianola and by oxcart to Fredericksburg. They bought this homesite for $70 in gold. Knopp was a stonemason; family farm, a mile from this home, was worked by the wife and children. (Of the 15 children born to the Knopps, nine reached adulthood.) House, restored in 1939, was extensively remodeled in 1968. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971 #10066

309 W. Schubert, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10067 Kloth-Ludwig Home. This limestone building was constructed about 1870 when the property was owned by John Adams Alberthal. It was designed with a commercial area on the front and a two-story residential section in the back. Christian Kloth purchased the home in 1878, and following his death in 1904, it was inherited by his daughters Anna Marie (Kloth) Ludwig (d. 1930) and Caroline Kloth (d. 1940). Used for various shops, it remained in the Ludwig family until 1966. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10067

414 E. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10068 Lange's Mill. Established in 1849 by Doss brothers. Operated 1859-1878 by William F. Lange, 1878-1888 by Julius Lange. Its products were famed throughout the region. One of the last of the old burr mills in Texas, one of few in as perfect a state of preservation. Near by on a cliff are Indian pictographs. #10068

?, Doss, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10069 Lehne-Itz House. Henry Lehne (1858-1931) followed the form of traditional German farmhouses in building this limestone structure in 1882. He farmed and ranched an adjoining 30 acres. As a teamster he hauled produce to San Antonio and returned with products such as beer and flour for local merchants. He outlived two wives (Anna Barth and Marie Spaeth) and remained here to rear his nine children. His daughter Sophie and her husband Ernest Itz built a frame addition on the rear of the house in 1933. The house, which remained in the Lehne family for 109 years, was sold by Sophie's heirs in 1991. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993 #10069

402 Whitney St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#1007 Community of Comyn-Theney. During the rapid settlement of this area following the removal of the Indian threat, about 1875, a rural community developed here. Besides a few homes and a school, it had a trading post-store, operated by W. F. Matheney. His name, shortened to "Theney" for business purposes also came to designate the town. Among the pioneer families was that of B. F. Barnes, at nearby Jones Crossing, 1876. His great-grandson Ben Barnes, Lt. Gov. of Texas, was reared in Comyn-Theney. During 1881 the Texas Central Railroad was built through here and a depot established. M. T. Comyn, a railroad official, succeeded in having the town and depot named for him, but the school remained Theney. Soon the settlement could boast several general stores, a post office, drug store, blacksmith shop, lumber yard, cotton gin, cafe, barber shop, and a hall for the Woodmen of the World. In 1918, when Humble Pipeline Company began building a tank farm here to store oil from new West Texas fields, a tent city of several hundred sprang up. But when construction ceased in 1919, the townspeople moved away. Theney Consolidated School, formed in 1924, soon built a new plant and became an outstanding high school. Declining attendance caused it to close, 1952. (1969) #1007

?, Comyn, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10070 Andreas and Frederike Lindig Farmstead. German immigrants Andreas and Frederike Lindig arrived in Texas in 1869. They established a farmstead here in 1874 on 448 acres that included a main farmhouse, summer kitchen, barn, water well, and commercial lime kiln. Lindig used native post oak timbers to build a log farmhouse to which he added limestone shed rooms. They grew cash crops of peanuts, sweet potatoes, and cotton. Their sons Friedrich, Karl, and Christian built homes nearby. Andreas (d. 1898) and Frederike (d. 1913) are buried in the family cemetery (one-half mile SE). The property remained in the family until 1980. #10070

?, Stonewall, TX, United States