Texas Historical Marker

14731
#10034 Ellebracht-Moritz Homestead. Frederick Ellebracht (1809-1882) and his family came to Texas from Germany in 1845. Joining other immigrants from their homeland in Central Texas, they built this home in the early 1850s. The house consisted of one large log room with a loft. The home remained in the Ellebracht family until 1891 when it was purchased by Joseph Moritz (1860-1942), a stonemason who built two rough limestone additions onto the house before 1907. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1987 #10034

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10035 Enchanted Rock. From its summit, in the fall of 1841, Captain John C. Hays, while surrounded by comanche Indians who cut him off from his ranging company, repulsed the whole band and inflicted upon them such heavy losses that they fled. #10035

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10036 Engel Family. The Rev. August Engel (1818-1904), a circuit riding Methodist preacher and teacher, immigrated to Texas in 1846 from Germany. In 1859 he married Katharina Ernst (1837-1920). They had six children. August Engel served as postmaster for five years in Blanco County, and for 32 years at Cranes Mill in Comal County. He was succeeded as postmaster by his son August Engel, Jr., in 1904, who purchased six acres in 1885 in Gillespie County from Carl a. Luckenbach. A post office was established in Engel's home in 1886 with August Engel, Jr., serving as postmaster. His sister Minna was asked to name the new post office. Married to C. A. Luckenbach, Minna chose the name of Luckenbach. A general merchandise store with a post office area, blacksmith shop, cotton gin, saloon and warehouses were added to the property. A dance hall (tanz halle) also located there was a center for local gatherings. William Engel replaced his brother August Engel, Jr., as postmaster of Luckenbach in 1890. William's son, Benno W. Engel, Sr., was appointed postmaster in 1935, and served in that capacity for 36 years. The Luckenbach Post Office was discontinued in 1971 after 85 years of continuous service to Gillespie County and to the community. #10036

?, Luckenbach, TX, United States

#10037 First Baptist Church of Harper. Organized in 1887 with nine members, the First Baptist Church congregation initially met in the local school building and a brush arbor. A wooden sanctuary and parsonage were built in 1897. The congregation has been involved in community activities and mission work for many years. Harper High school held classes in the church building in 1921 and 1941-42. A native stone structure was erected in 1944, consisting of a sanctuary and Sunday School rooms. A fellowship hall annex was added in 1971. This church has been part of Harper history for over one hundred years. #10037

?, Harper, TX, United States

#10038 First Methodist Church of Fredericksburg. Oldest Methodist church in the Hill Country, founded 1849 as a German mission by the Rev. Eduard Schneider. The charter members: Melchior and Rosine Bauer, Johann and Margaretha Durst, Friedrich and Sophie Ellebracht, Ernst and Dorothea Houy, Ferdinand and Maria Kneese, Ludwig Kneese, Heinrich and Catharine Steihl, Jacob and Catharine Treibs, Fritz and Fredericka (Mary) Winkel. In 1855, during pastorate of the Rev. C. A. Grote, a 40 x 60-foot native stone church was built. It still serves after 1912-14, 1923, and 1948-49 remodelings. #10038

312 W. San Antonio St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10039 Site of Fort Martin Scott. Established by the United States Army, December 5, 1848, as a protection to travelers and settlers against Indian attack. Named in honor of Major Martin Scott, brevet lieutenant colonel, 5th United States Infantry, killed at Molino Del Ray, September 8, 1847. Its garrison participated in many Indian skirmishes. Occupied intermittently after 1852. Held by the confederates, 1861-65. Permanently abandoned in December, 1866. #10039

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#1004 Common Grave. Three youths slain by Indians in an Elm Creek raid, July 17, 1867: Rice Carlton, Age 19; Reuben Johnson, born 1847, son of J. Allen Johnson; Patrick Euell Proffitt, born March 7, 1848, son of Robert S. Proffitt. John Proffitt, a brother, was donor of cemetery tract. #1004

US 380 West of Newcastle, Newcastle, TX, United States

#10040 Fredericksburg College Building. Early hall of higher learning, erected by the German Methodist Mission Conference of texas and Louisiana (organized 1874 by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South). Fredericksburg College at its peak had 250 students-- some from far away as Galveston. Many local boys walked 10 miles daily to obtain education here. The college operated only from 1876 to 1884. The hand-cut stone building has been used since by the public school district. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971 #10040

108 W. Travis St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10042 Fredericksburg Lodge No. 794, A.F. & A.M.. traces its history to 1897 when a warrant of dispensation was granted by the Grand Lodge of Texas Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. The first worshipful master, D. C. Darroch, was installed by Neal Caldwell, deputy district grand master of the 47th Masonic District. Members joined from willow Creek, Kerrville, and Johnson City, and first met in the Schandua Building. In 1910 the Otto Kolmeier building located on East Main Street was acquired as the second home for the Lodge, and was shared with the Eastern Star organization. The Lodge moved to the Beckmann Building on West Main Street in 1925. Lodge meetings were held on the first floor, and the second floor housed Eastern Star meetings. The cornerstone for a new Lodge building was laid in 1963 at South Adams and Hale streets. Lodge members maintain a strong tradition of supporting education. An award named for Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar has been given annually, in addition to a scholarship. Many charitable causes have received assistance from the Masons, who continue to serve the community as they have for more than a century. (1997) #10042

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10043 Fredericksburg Social Turn Verein. The Fredericksburg Social Turn Verein was established in 1871 in the tradition of German gymnastic clubs. Initially located at a site nearby, the club opened with a gymnastics school and a 9-pin bowling alley. In 1872 the club held the first of its annual Christmas celebrations and in 1883 sponsored a fire brigade which became the City Volunteer Fire Department. The Turn Verein moved to this location in 1909. Children's gymnastics, Christmas celebrations, and bowling continue at Fredericksburg Social Turn Verein, one of the city's oldest continuing organizations. #10043

103 W. Travis, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10044 Gillespie County. The trails of roving Indians crossed these hills settled by German pioneers in 1846. A group of Mormons settled at Zodiac in 1847. Created February 23, 1848; organized June 5, 1848. Named for Richard Addison Gillespie, a Texan from 1837, a defender of the Texas frontier, and captain in the Mexican War who fell at Monterrey, September 22, 1846. Fredericksburg, the county seat. #10044

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10045 Old Gillespie County Courthouse. Erected 1881-1882 in term of County Judge Wm. Wahrmund and Commissioners J. Dechert, F. Kneese, J. arson and J. P. Mosel. Architect was Alfred Giles. Native limestone structure is distinctive in fine balance and symmetry. Second courthouse built in county; used until 1939. Restoration and conversion to library-community hall is gift of Mr. and Mrs. eugene McDermott. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 #10045

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Subjects
#10046 Adolph Gold House. Local banker Adolph Gold (1869-1931), one of the developers of Fredericksburg's first subdivision in 1900, had this house built for his family in the subdivision in 1901. The house remained in the Gold family until 1988. Built in a center passage form with native limestone and basse blocks, the house features a five-bay front with elaborate jigsawn detailing on the porch, paired brackets, a gable roof, and a centered pediment on the front facade. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990 #10046

212 E. Travis, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10047 Gold-Grobe House. Built in 1902 by Peter Gold, Sr., this house was originally a one-story center passage plan structure constructed of native limestone. Friedrich William Grobe bought the house in 1914. In 1916 he added a second floor and rear wing using concrete blocks manufactured by the local Basse Brothers Cement Yard. A descendant of Fredericksburg pioneers, Grobe was a blacksmith, surveyor, and farmer, and served as postmaster of the nearby town of Rheingold. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989 #10047

413 N. Llano, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10048 The Grapetown School. In 1882, Frederick Baag donated this tract of land for the third Grapetown schoolhouse. Completed in 1884, the structure was built with labor and materials donated by the community. All seven grades were taught by one teacher. In 1905, the facility became a county school known as Grapetown Line School, District No. 14. In 1949, the schoolhouse was closed as the district was consolidated with surrounding community schools. A total of 28 teachers taught here. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984 #10048

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10049 Guenther's Live Oak Mill. By 1848, Carl Hilmar Guenther (1826-1902), master millwright, had completed his apprenticeship in Germany and immigrated to the U.S. In search of opportunities and a good grist mill site, he journeyed south from Wisconsin to New Orleans, and then west to Texas. In 1851 he bought land and water rights on Live Oak Creek near Fredericksburg. After six months of construction, his mill was operational, but a flood destroyed the first dam. One month after the floor the mill was working again. Ox drawn wagons loaded with harvested crops converged on the mill in the mornings, and after the farmers' business was completed the men remained to visit with each other. The mill became a center of social life in the Hill Country community Guenther was granted U.S. Citizenship in gillespie County in 1854. He married Dorothea Pape in 1855. They lived in a home near the mill and were eventually the parents of seven children. In 1859 Guenther chose a site about one mile from the center of San antonio as a new site for his mill operation. Guenther mills soon became the Pioneer Flour Mills, an enterprise which became a flourishing business in Texas and the Southwest. #10049

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#1005 The Community Church. 50 years of camp meetings, circuit riders, singings and Sunday Schools at ranches or schoolhouses filled settlers' religious needs. In 1928, when this church was organized, its sanctuary was 1910 courthouse, bought for a dollar. Present edifice--first brick building in Kermit--is on site of that first church, and was built by generous ranchers after oil discovery. Dedicated 1938. First resident pastor was C. Y. Butler. (1966) #1005

302 S. Poplar St., Kermit, TX, United States

#10050 Gun Cap Factory. In the Civil War, at this site, E. Krauskoff, gunsmith, and Adolph Lungkwitz, silversmith, made gun caps. Inventing machinery, they rolled copper thin and cut it to cap-size pieces. Saltpetre and quicksilver went into the caps, to detonate rifle and pistol ammunition. Saltpetre came from nearby bat caves. Quicksilver and copper had to be brought through neutral Mexico or the coastal blockade. Rifles, cannon, gunpowder and pistols were made at Austin, Houston, Bastrop, Waxahachie, san Antonio, corpus Christi, Burnet, Lancaster, Rusk and Tyler. #10050

306 W. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10051 Harper Presbyterian Church. Organized in 1881 as the Barnett Spring Presbyterian Church, this congregation originally met in a schoolhouse. The fellowship moved to Harper in 1901 and erected this frame church on land donated by Arch Austin. Sale of property given by R. W. Crosley helped finance the construction. In 1903 a bell was purchased for the belfry. This structure housed the Harper School in 1906 and again in the 1940s. It also served as a worship site for other denominations. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976 #10051

?, Harper, TX, United States

#10052 The Carl Henke Home. Believed to be the first boy born among the German immigrants who settled Fredericksburg, Carl Henke (1848-1928) became a skilled stonemason. He built the original portion of this structure in 1874 for John Schmitt. the two-room native limestone house has a loft reached by an outside stairway. In the 1880s, Henke purchased the residence for his own use. A wing was added to the west side in 1911. The Henke family occupied this house until 1972. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978 #10052

116 E. Travis, Fredericksburg, TX, United States