Texas Historical Marker

14731
#1011 Community of Pilgrim. Named in honor of Thomas J. Pilgrim (1804-1877), noted pioneer educator. Born in Connecticut, he came in 1828 to Texas, where in 1829 he organized a school at San Felipe, in Stephen F. Austin's Colony. Also started first Sunday School in Texas. In 1838 he received a land grant of 1,476 acres (including this site) from Texas Republic. Settled in Gonzales in 1840; started a Sunday School and was superintendent until 1871. Community became a prominent trading post in early 1840s and a hideout of famous gunman John Wesley Hardin in 1870s. #1011

?, Pilgrim, TX, United States

Subjects
#10110 Pioneer Schandua House. Built before 1880, this house was purchased by John Schandua, a local merchant, shortly after his marriage to Bertha (Klein) in 1883. The front room, called "die stube," served as a bedroom and living area. the back room was used as a bedroom for their children. gingerbread work accents the posts on the front porch. The residence was used for a short time as a Sunday School building for the Bethany Lutheran Church. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979 #10110

111 E. Austin, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10111 Schmidt-Dietz Building. Ludwig Schmidt constructed this two-story stone building in the 1860s for use as a hotel. In the early 1890s it was leased to Louis Dietz, who ran the business as the Central Hotel and later as the Dietz Hotel. His home east of the structure provided space for the hotel kitchen and dining room. Merchant Charles Schwarz bought the property in 1899 and opened a store here. the building has also housed a saloon, doctors' and lawyers' offices, and a drugstore. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10111

218 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10112 Schmidt-Gold House. This home was built in the 1860s by german stonemason Lorenz Schmidt, a pioneer settler in the Adelsverein colony and builder of many early structures, including the Vereins Kirche. Originally a story-and-a-half, the house was enlarged to two floors in 1902 by Jacob Gold, Sr., a local business leader and founder of Rheingold community in eastern Gillespie County. The home's materials and design reflect influences of the early German settlers. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10112

106 S. Lincoln, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10113 Oliver and William Schneider Building. -- #10113

123-25 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10114 Schneider-Klingelhoefer House. Built about 1870 for watchmaker and stonemason Ludwig Schneider, this home features German fachwerk construction. Owned by builder Louis Preiss from 1883 to 1890, it was acquired in 1924 by banker Arthur Klingehoefer, who lived here from 1925 until his death. Prominent features of the home, which remained in the Klingelhoefer family until 1976, include an unusual porch roof parapet, gable-end chimneys, and a decorative wood balustrade. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988 #10114

714 Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10115 Schwarz Building. This limestone commercial building was constructed in 1907 by Charles Schwarz, a prominent early merchant of the area, and his wife Mary. Located on the site of the Louis Dietz home, it included ground floor space for Schwarz' General Merchandise and Dry Goods store and second floor living quarters for his family. The building later housed a variety of businesses and also provided meeting space for local youth groups and a veterans' organization. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10115

216 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10116 Texas Ranger General E. Kirby Smith, C.S.A.. (1824-1893) Born in Florida. Graduated from West Point. Fought in Mexican War. On the Texas frontier in the 1850s, commanded Camps Belknap, Cooper and Colorado. In 1860 and many years afterwards was a partner of J. M. Hunter of Fredericksburg in a Texas ranch. Resigned from U. S. Army, 1861, to serve Confederacy. Was appointed 1863, to command all the area west of the Mississippi. At that time Federals held the river, all of Missouri, much of Arkansas, Louisiana and Indian Territory, and were trying to take Texas and her supplies of food, cotton and horses. The Trans-Mississippi Dept. had many problems. The French under Maximilian were approaching from Mexico. Indians and bandits constantly raided frontiers. Freighters and blockade runners had to be employed for exporting cotton-- the only product the South had for trading to get guns, ammunition and goods. Texas was chief source of the cotton Gen. Smith used for financing his army. It was place of safety to which he sent his wife and children. It gave him ovations as he went to Mexico after the war ended. Young Texans studied, 1875-1893, in his mathematics classes at the University of the South, Sewanee, Tenn. #10116

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10117 Squaw Creek Cemetery. On their way west from Arkansas to California about 1856, the family of Francis Marion Nixon and his wife, Catherine Elliot, was forced to detour south from the North Texas Plains to this area to obtain water and forage for their livestock. After first camping on a hill near the Mason/Gillespie County line, thereafter referred to as Nixon Point, they settled in this section of Gillespie County during the 1860s. The Nixon's son, Andrew Jackson Nixon, and his wife, Lurana Wooten, built their home in this vicinity and with their fourteen children formed the nucleus of the community of Squaw Creek. Marriages by their descendants added the names Baethge, Ratto, Strackbein, Mund, Faught, and Gibson to the extended Nixon family line. The Squaw Creek Cemetery grounds were a part of a 110-acre conveyance from A. J. Nixon to his brother-in-law, Henry Strackbeing, in 1872. The first recorded interment is that of Elizabeth Gibson in 1873. The first legal mention of the cemetery occurs in a deed executed by Adolph Strackbein in 1914. Of the approximately 60 interments here, most are members of the extended Nixon family. The burials include those of American Civil War and World War I veterans. #10117

?, Hilltop, TX, United States

#10118 Edward and Minnie Stein House. Edward Stein (1890-1978), expert craftsman, prominent local banker, and architect of many important structures in Fredericksburg, designed and built this house in 1923 for himself and his wife, Minnie. an excellent example of a 1920s bungalow, it features elements of the craftsman design including wide overhanging eaves and brackets, intersecting gables, and finely articulated walls and porches. The house remained in the Stein family until 1978. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994 #10118

101 E. Hackberry, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10119 Sunday Houses. Small townhouse built by German settlers who lived in distant rural areas. Used over weekends by families while they traded or attended church. A typical early Sunday House had one room with a lean-to kitchen and a half story above, which was reached by outside stairway or ladder. Built during 1890s-1920s, most Sunday Houses were frame but some were rock. Homes found use during school sessions, periods of religious instruction or serious illness. Some of the larger ones made comfortable retirement homes for elderly German farmers. #10119

315 West Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#1012 Community of Sidney. Began about 1870 when William Yarborough and J. A. Wright, early settlers, located on Jimmie's Creek. As a community developed, the settlers built a log schoolhouse near a spring, in 1877. W. D. Cox was the first teacher. The Methodist church was also founded in 1877 and a few years later the Baptist church and Church of Christ were started. All denominations took turns using the log schoolhouse for worship. In 1883 Tom Davis opened a store and soon J. C. Stapp bought an interest in it. In 1886 Stapp became the first Postmaster, naming the post office after his young son Sidney. Holstein dairy cattle, basis of a major industry, were brought here in the 1880s. Between 1890 and 1910 Sidney had several doctors' offices, drug stores, gins, a general store, barber shop, lodge hall, and telephone exchange. Reorganized in 1902, the school became an accredited high school. Around the turn of the century, the town shared in the national attention focused on nearby Round Mountain--first field laboratory of the remarkable Dr. Robert T. Hill (1858-1941), world-famous geologist. His studies vastly increased knowledge of the geology of North America and Texas, and after his death, he had his ashes scattered atop the mountain. (1969) #1012

?, Sidney, TX, United States

#10120 Felix Van Der Stucken Home. The original one-story section of this residence was constructed by Felix Van Der Stucken (1833-1912) soon after he purchased the site in 1864. The two-story addition was completed later. A native of Belgium, Van Der Stucken operated a nearby steam-powered mill, later known as Reliance Roller Mills. Built of native limestone, his home features characteristics of the Victorian and Greek revival styles. It was purchased in 1940 by Alfred and Frieda Hennig. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10120

114 W. Austin St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10121 John Peter Tatsch Home, 1856. Built by Tatsch (1822-1907), using local stone. A cabinet-maker and turner, did woodwork himself. At first floored only front rooms, using wide boards. North front room had the only fireplace. Rear gallery kitchen, fireplace and oven were added later. Tatsch, from Germany, during Civil War was a Minute Man. Wife was Maria Elizabeth (1828-1885). Children: Elizabeth, Sophie, Caroline, Wilhelmina, Richard. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 #10121

210 N. Bowie St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10122 Trinity Lutheran Church. This congregation traces its history to 1902, when it was organized in the Albert Schoolhouse. A sanctuary built here in 1902 was replaced in 1904, and this structure was erected in 1928. Worship services were conducted in the German language until 1950. A fine example of the Gothic revival style of architecture, the church features fine details in its arched window and door openings, Gothic steeple, and original pressed metal siding. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989 #10122

?, Stonewall, TX, United States

#10123 Vereins Kirche. Church for all denominations, school and community hall. Built, summer 1847, after the Comanche peace treaty made by John O. Meusebach, Commissioner, German Emigration Company. Located in Main street between Courthouse and Market Square of early Fredericksburg. Razed after the celebration of fiftieth anniversary of the arrival of first settlers, 1896. Replica, first used as museum and library, constructed 1934-35. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 #10123

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10124 Vogel Sunday House. In the 1880s German immigrant Christian Vogel (1824-1889) built the left half of this structure to house his family while in town for Saturday trading and Sunday church services. His son Amandus (1854-1898) and daughter-in-law Elizabeth (Weber) (1857-1944) added the right half and covered it with pressed tin at the turn of the century. It was used as a Sunday House by Elizabeth until her death and remained in the family until 1947. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #10124

418 West Austin, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Subjects
#10125 William Wahrmund House. Gillespie County Judge in 1852-62, 1864, and 1876-90, William Wahrmund (1824-90) hired local stonemasons H. Hennersdorf and Louis Schmidt to build this residence near his own home and store in 1875. Over a period of years, the house was occupied by three of Wahrmund's sons, William L., Otto, and Henry, and by several grandchildren. Victorian porch detailing decorates the native limestone structure, restored in 1976 by Hill Country Savings and Loan Association. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977 #10125

206 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10126 Wahrmund Millinery, Moellendorf-Dietz Bakery. Erected about 1876, this building was a combination residence and business for the family of George Wahrmund, whose wife Elise had a millinery and dressmaking shop in the front rooms. Mr. and Mrs. James T. clark, 1901-1913 owners, ran a boarding house here. From 1924 to 1966, the structure housed a bakery, operated in succession by Martin Schult, William Moellendorf, and Theodore and Edgar Dietz. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978 #10126

312 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10127 Walch Home. In 1845 Johan (John) Joseph Walch (1828-1914) migrated to Texas from Germany. In 1847 he settled in Fredericksburg, where he worked as a stonemason. Before Walch married Wilhelmine Gaertner in 1851, he erected a two-room limestone house on this lot. He also built a rock barn, which he later enlarged by adding a second story. One of the Walches' eleven children, Felix, remodeled the barn for use as a residence in 1904. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978 #10127

412 E. Austin St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States