Texas Historical Marker

14731
#10146 Confederate Capitol of Missouri. On this site a one-story frame house served as headquarters of the Civil War State Government of Missouri in exile. Governor Thomas C. Reynolds and his staff directed the civil and military affairs of Confederate Missourians from Marshall beginning in November, 1863 until June, 1865. The governor's mansion was in a one-story frame cottage then located directly west across the street. A memorial to Texans who served the Confederacy #10146

402 S. Bolivar St., Marshall, TX, United States

#10147 Site of The Confederate Hat Factory in Marshall, C.S.A.. Texas had very few factories in 1861 when she joined the Confederate States of America and went to war on the issue of states' rights. Some of the manufacturing plants necessary to supply military goods were thereupon established in and around Marshall, which later (1863) became headquarters for Confederate operations west of the Mississippi River. At the site of this marker, there was operated in the basement of a dwelling house a factory which brought high quality fur felt from a plant situated on Young's Mill Pond near Hallsville (13 mi. W). and made military hats to outfit Texas soldiers and other troops fighting for the Confederacy. Some 40 men were employed here in blocking and finishing hats and in making blankets and saddle blankets. Successive generations of the Edmund Key family owned and occupied the house where the Confederate Hat Factory had been operated during the Civil War. After the structure burned in 1962 the Key family tendered (in 1975) the site to the Harrison County Conservation Society as a park dedicated in memory of civic leaders Edmund and Rae Lyttleton Key. #10147

201 W. Grand Ave., Marshall, TX, United States

#10148 Confederate Memorial. -- #10148

?, Scottsville, TX, United States

#10149 Confederate Memorial. -- #10149

?, Marshall, TX, United States

#1015 Company G. Composed of National Guardsmen from Scurry County, Company G originally organized and fought in France during World War I. Reorganized in 1924 and mobilized in 1940, Company G was part of the 142nd Infantry of the celebrated 36th Division during World War II. The unit fought in some of the fiercest battles on the European front including Salerno and Cassino. It also saw action in North Africa, in southern France, and in Austria. A heavily-decorated unit, Company G was an important element in the Texan contribution to the Allied Forces during World War II. (1984) #1015

25th Street at Courthouse, Snyder, TX, United States

#10150 Cumberland Presbyterians in Harrison County. In 1848 the first Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Harrison County was established when the Reverend James Sampson and 22 charter members founded a congregation in Marshall. The first pastor was the Rev. Thomas Wilson. In 1851 church trustees purchased two town lots and a sanctuary was dedicated in 1853. During the next sixty years Cumberland Presbyterian congregations were established in rural areas around Harrison county. In 1855 a branch church called Ewing Chapel was founded south of Marshall. Churches also were organized in the communities of Hope in 1889, Nesbitt in 1901, and later in the Fairview area. As the churches grew, members contributed to many activities including education and local, county, and state politics. Rural congregations began to decline in the 1920s and 1930s as roads and transportation improved and members could travel to congregations served by resident pastors. By the 1970s only the Fairview and Marshall congregations remained. In 1984 the two congregations officially became the Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Marshall. The church continues to be an integral part of the community as it has for more than a century. (1997) #10150

501 Indian Springs Dr. at Travis on SH 31, Marshall, TX, United States

#10151 Site of Davidson Homestead. On this land, purchased by Isaiah Davidson (1814-1900), one of the first frame houses in this section of the state was built in 1867. Davidson, of Scottish descent, moved to Texas from Georgia with his wife, Mary Little, and children Elias, Frank, Lizzie, and Houston. His oldest son, John, who was a Confederate soldier, acquired land adjoining. Two other sons, Whitfield and Henry, died in the Civil War. This site soon became a mecca for members of the Davidson clan as they moved to Texas. The land was also on an old wagon road over which crops were hauled from "Blackland Country" (around Dallas) to Port of Jefferson. Family property, which totals 3,200 acres (five sections), is today owned by descendant T. Whitfield Davidson. #10151

?, Harleton, TX, United States

#10152 William Delafield. A veteran of the American Revolution; lived in this area as patriarch of a family whose history typifies westward movement of the people of the United States. Son of Nicholas Delafield, a cooper in the English Navy in 1740s and an artisan living in Mecklenburg County, Va., as early as the 1760s. William Delafield as a lad of 16 served in the militia company of a neighbor, Capt. Reuben Vaughan, during the year 1779 when the former American colonies-- joined together against the tyranny of George III of Great Britain. In 1785 William Delafield, then 22, moved to Georgia. There he brought up a family and in 1827 was awarded land on basis of his Revolutionary War service. By 1832 he and a son Nicholas lived in Alabama, where in 1836 both received land grants in Barbour County. The son in 1846 settled here in Harrison County, Tex. By 1850 William Delafield also lived here, where he was known to neighbors as an elderly man who sat in a rocking chair relating stories of old times. He had lost a leg, probably in frontier fighting in Georgia against the Indians. His descendants include persons who have attained distinction in military and civilian life in Texas and other states. #10152

?, Hallsville, TX, United States

#10153 Ebenezer Methodist Church. On site used since 1867 for worship. First church was built and occupied 1868 when pastor was the Rev. Elijah Blair; second, 1892, under the Rev. Thomas Cole. The Rev. A. J. Newton began drive for third church, completed in 1958 under the Rev. J. F. Cox. Board chairmen in building eras were Mitchell Kendall, S. S. Reid, and Dr. T. L. Hunter. In century-long career, church has had 42 pastors. At centennial, pastor is the Rev. Simon Snell; chairman of trustees is Dr. N. H. Anderson. Ebenezer has been recognized as home church of bishops Willis J. King, J. B. Scott, and E. W. Kelly. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967 #10153

908 Whetstone Ave., Marshall, TX, United States

#10154 Matthew Duncan Ector. (Star and Wreath) Brigadier General, C. S. A. Participated in Battles of Richmond, Ky., Murfreesboro, Chicamauga, Atlanta, Defense of Mobile. Erected by the State of texas 1962 #10154

?, Marshall, TX, United States

#10155 Edgemont. Virginia native Montraville "Mont" Hall (1819-71) had this Greek revival plantation house built shortly after moving to harrison County in 1844. Designed and constructed by W. R. D. Ward, it features a distinctive portico with octagonal columns. Hall became a successful planter and a leader in politics, law, business and the area's early railroad development. His political career included service in the Texas Legislature and the 1861 State Secession Convention. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981 #10155

?, Marshall, TX, United States

#10156 First Baptist Church. John Bryce (1784-1864), Baptist missionary and secret agent for U. S. President John Tyler during Texas annexation negotiations, and the Rev. George Washington Baines, great-grandfather of President Lyndon Baines Johnson, founded this church shortly before Texas became a state in 1845. Dr. William Evans, Marshall's first physician, and other leaders of the pioneer community were among the twelve charter members. Throughout its history, this fellowship has included men and women who were leaders in the city, state, and Baptist faith. Services were held in a brush arbor or nearby log schoolhouse until 1849, when a church building was erected on this lot, donated by State Legislator James McCown (1808-55). The small frame structure was replaced by a larger building in 1892. Members of this congregation organized the Second Baptist Church in 1904. They also helped establish the College of Marshall in 1912. This junior college later became East Texas Baptist College, a four-year school which is still actively supported by this church. The present sanctuary was constructed in 1953, and the children's building was completed in 1955. A new education building and chapel were erected in 1972, completing the church complex. #10156

405 W. Austin at Grove St., Marshall, TX, United States

#10157 First Methodist Church. Begun by Littleton Fowler, 1839. Job M. Baker, first pastor. Organized 1845. Built 1861 on site given by Wm. M. and Mary M. Johnston. Bricks hand-molded, beams hand-hewn. Gallery in north end for slave members. Munitions stored in basement during Civil War. Bell, given to Confederacy, replaced 1865 by one stolen from Federal Army. During World War I, this sold for metal. While pastor here, 1866, Dr. E. M. Marvin was elected bishop. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 #10157

300 E. Houston St., Marshall, TX, United States

Subjects
#10158 First Presbyterian Church. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1963 #10158

400 W Burleson St, Marshall, TX, United States

#1016 Compton-Zapp House. This property has been owned by a number of Fayetteville residents over the years, including William Compton, Dr. Jethro Jackson, Antone and Minnie Pohl, and Hugo Zapp, Sr. Dr. Jackson was a charter member of the Fayetteville Masonic Lodge, and Hugo Zapp was a prominent merchant. This home dates to the 19th century, and its central hall plan is typical of Texas vernacular homes of the time. It remained in the Zapp family from 1865 until 1945. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark-1985. #1016

?, Fayetteville, TX, United States

#10160 Forrest-Rogers-Dollahite Cemetery. This cemetery is located on the home site of Elisha T. and Sarah Vincent Forrest, who came to Texas from Tennessee about 1846. Other early settlers included the Rogers and Dollahite families who formed the community of Little Flock south of Hallsville. The cemetery name changed over the years depending on the ownership of the land. The earliest marked grave is that of Edward Tansil in 1849. Seven generations of the Forrest family are buried here. The three-acre site is maintained by a cemetery association and continues to serve the community as it has for over 125 years. #10160

?, Hallsville, TX, United States

#10161 Fraley-Garland House. Designed in the American four-square style with colonial revival detailing, this home was built for Clinton Virgil Fraley in 1896. A Confederate soldier captured and held in Union prisons during the Civil War, Fraley moved from his native Kentucky to Marshall in 1866. Here he served as deputy sheriff, tax collector, and constable. Railroad worker Wiley E. Garland bought this home in 1907 and, with his wife, operated it as a boardinghouse for over 50 years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986 #10161

700 E. Rusk at Davis St., Marshall, TX, United States

#10162 Fry-Barry House. Built by Fidel Bircher, this raised Greek revival style cottage was designed by W. R. D. Ward, who sold Bircher the property in 1853. Edwin James Fry (1845-1927), a native Virginian who came to Texas in 1855, bought the residence in 1872 and enlarged it to accommodate his growing family. A leading businessman and banker, Fry was a longtime Mason and member of Trinity Episcopal Church. After his death, his daughter Pamela (d. 1961) and her husband, banker W. L. Barry (d. 1942), occupied the home. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962 #10162

314 W. Austin at Fulton St., Marshall, TX, United States

#10163 Ginocchio-Cook-Pedison House. Italian-American business leader Charles Ginocchio (1844-98) and wife Roxana settled in Marshall in 1871; built this home, 1886. Architect: C. G. Lancaster, designer of county courthouse. In Ginocchio household was a nephew, George J. Signaigo, whose parents-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Behn Cook, bought place in 1900, had Signaigos live with them until 1912, retained title until 1945. Owners since 1945: Grecian-Americans, Mr. and Mrs. A. P. Pedison, ex-operators of Ginocchio Hotel dining room. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973 #10163

615 N. Washington at Ginnocchio St., Marshall, TX, United States

#10164 Ginocchio Hotel and Restaurant. Built in 1896 by C. A. Ginocchio to serve the Transcontinental Railway passenger traffic to the west. Four hundred meals a day were provided for travelers stopping at "Gateway to Texas". Hotel was considered luxurious. A fine example of Victorian architecture. Stairway of curly pine is unique. Many original fittings are retained. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971 #10164

N. Washington and Ginocchio St., Marshall, TX, United States