Texas Historical Marker

14731
#10071 Site of The Andreas Lindig Lime Kiln. First kiln, eastern Gillespie County. Built 1874 by Andreas Lindig, trained in his native Germany in quicklime making. On his homestead, he found rock to be hauled to this site by ox-wagon, using 7 loads of rock for each "batch" of lime. Post oak wood, burned in a cooking bed, produced high heat which produced the lime. Besides that for his own use, he made lime commercially for neighbors. Lindig's home (built 1874, about .5 mi. S) shows endurance of cement made from his lime. So does the 1963-1969 "Texas White House," built nearby in 1897 by Willie Meier. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1970 Incise in base: Erected by Otto Lindig (age 86) and Lydia Lindig Bohls (age 60) #10071

?, Stonewall, TX, United States

#10072 Loeffler-Weber House. Log room and loft were built by German emigrant Gerhard Rorig as his home in first winter of Fredericksburg's existence, 1846-47. Noted cabinetmaker Johann Martin Loeffler added typical rock and half-timber rooms and cooking fireplace, 1867; his son-in-law, J. Charles Weber, in 1905 restored the southeast lean-to. For Loeffler-Weber family, this was home or Sunday House for 90 years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971 Incise near base: Restored 1964 by Mr. and Mrs. george A. Hill, III Consultant: Albert Keidel, Architectural Designer #10072

508 W. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10073 Lower South Grape Creek School. Area settlers built a log schoolhouse 1.5 miles south of here in 1871 along South Grape Creek. It was part of Luckenbach School Precinct No. 3 until 1889, when it was renamed Lower South Grape Creek and began to serve as District No. 21. The log schoolhouse was replaced with this structure in 1901. It is typical of early 1900s rural school buildings found in Texas' Hill Country. The stuccoed limestone building features an open plan and bell tower with a pyramidal roof. the school closed in 1960 and merged with the fredericksburg School District. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994 #10073

?, Stonewall, TX, United States

#10074 Luckenbach. Members of the Luckenbach family and other German immigrants moved here from Fredericksburg (11 mi. NW) in the 1850s. They settled along Grape Creek and soon established a school for their children. the Grape Creek Post Office was in operation briefly after 1858 with William Luckenbach as first postmaster. Later settlers included August Engel, who served as first postmaster when the post office was reestablished here in 1886 under the name of Luckenbach. John Russell "Hondo" Crouch and others bought the town center in 1970 and promoted its rustic atmosphere. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986 #10074

?, Luckenbach, TX, United States

#10075 Luckenbach School. In 1855 pioneer area settler Peter Pehl deeded a two-acre tract of land at this site for the construction of a schoolhouse to serve the Luckenbach School district. Herman Toepperwein was the first teacher in the log building, which was used until 1905 when the present native limestone schoolhouse was completed. The Luckenbach School remained in operation until 1964, when it was consolidated with the Fredericksburg District. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #10075

?, Luckenbach, TX, United States

#10077 Site of the McDonald Massacre. Pioneer preacher Matthew Taylor and the families of his daughter and two sons moved here in 1863 from their homestead on the Llano River. They built a cabin on this site near the source of the Pedernales River. In August 1864, Matthew and his son Jim returned to the Llano for a load of hay, leaving in charge Eli McDonald, husband of Matthew's daughter Caroline. On August 8, 1864, at a nearby spring, Jim Taylor's wife Gill was surprised by a band of Kiowas and wounded by an arrow. Before she died, she warned the others, who took refuge in the cabin. After a brief fight, the Indians killed Eli McDonald. They captured his wife Caroline and daughters Mahala and Becky Jane; and Alice, James, and Dorcas, children of Matthew's son Zed. Matthew's wife "Aunt Hannah" escaped and hid in a cave in what is now Harper Community Park. Matthew and Jim Taylor discovered the tragedy the next day and sought help from Eli McDonald's nephew Monroe. The two victims of the massacre were buried near Spring Creek, twelve miles east of Harper. "Aunt Hannah" was found and reunited with her husband. the captives wandered as far north as Oklahoma with the Kiowa tribe before they were located and ransomed by the U.S. Government. #10077

?, Harper, TX, United States

#10078 Maier-Alberthal Building. Constructed about 1860, this building was acquired by German native Anton Maier (b. 1813) in 1866. A merchant who held several Gillespie County offices, Maier deeded the property to his son-in-law, August Alberthal. In 1900, the German vernacular stone commercial building has served as a grocery and general mercantile store, a soda water factory, an auto repair shop, and at one time was the site of worship services for a mission congregation. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #10078

324 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10079 Market Square (Mark Platz). This Square, originally a two-block area which included what is now called the Courthouse Square, has been at the center of Fredericksburg since the city's founding in 1846. The area was still heavily forested when the town's Vereins Kirche was built in the center of Main street in 1847. The octagonal building served as a community church, meeting place, school, and refuge from possible Indian attacks. A county jail was built on the Square in 1852. In 1856 a public schoolhouse was constructed and the school classes moved out of the Vereins Kirche. In 1911 the schoolhouse was converted to serve as headquarters for the volunteer fire department. The Vereins Kirche, demolished in 1897, was reconstructed in 1934-35 as a pioneer memorial, serving as the county's first museum (1936) and library (1939). As part of its centennial celebration, the State of texas erected a monument on Market Square in honor of Baron Ottfried Hans Freiherr Von Meusebach, whose colonization efforts led to the founding of Fredericksburg. In 1987 the city purchased the property from the school district. The Market Square has served as a gathering place for special community activities and has remained a focal point of the city. #10079

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#1008 Community of Concho. As settlers came to the area in the late 1800's, a small farming community developed here along the Concho River. In 1905 a post office opened in the home of W. D. Cape. In 1906 J. W. Barr (d. 1964) opened a general store at this site. As the business center for the surrounding rural area, the settlement was also the site of a school, two churches, a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, and a cemetery. Although the population had declined by the 1940's and the post office was closed in 1954, the site of the pioneer community serves as a reminder of the area's early settlers. (1983) #1008

?, Paint Rock, TX, United States

#10080 The Marschall-Meusebach Cemetery. Members of the families of two former German noblemen, related by marriage, are buried in this cemetery. John O. Meusebach (1812-97), who came to the Republic of Texas in 1845 as leader of the German Emigration Company, established (1846) the town of fredericksburg and signed (1847) an historic peace treaty with the Comanche Indians. Wilhelm Marschall Von Bierberstein (1822-1902) settled in this community in 1848. First burial here was that of Marschall's sister-in-law, Mathilda Weiss (1824-91). #10080

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10081 Meckel-Hanus Building. Saddle and harness merchant Henry Meckel (1855-1909) acquired this property in 1886 and soon made improvements to a one-story, ca. 1860 stone house already on the lot. A second level of concrete blocks and a double gallery of milled wood were added to the central-hall structure. Dr. J. J. Hanus (1898-1966) bought the building for a hospital in 1927 and altered the facade to its present appearance by 1929. The building served as a Catholic convent from 1949 through 1979. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986 Incise on base: Restored 1985 by Joe, Pat, and Eric Vance. #10081

307 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10082 The Meinhardt-Pfeil Home. The original section of this two-story limestone residence was constructed about 1850 by pioneer area settlers Albert and Doris Meinhardt. A widow in 1879, Doris sold the property to her former son-in-law G. Adolph Pfeil (d. 1926), a local cotton gin owner. He converted part of the living area for use as a blacksmith shop and later opened a soda water factory here. The house remained in the Pfeil family until 1939. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10082

125 W. San Antonio, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10083 Mueller-Petmecky House. The original portion of this house probably was built between 1848 and 1850 by Willis Wallace, who was granted the land by the German Immigration Company. Of fachwerk construction, the two-room home later was acquired by German farmer Heinrich Mueller, Jr. Mueller's daughter Augusta and son-in-law A. W. Petmecky, who served as justice of the peace for 42 years, built the limestone addition after the birth of their second child in 1895. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #10083

201 S. Washington, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10084 John O. Meusebach. (1812-1897) To be a Texan, Meusebach gave up title of baron in 1845. As commissioner-general, German Emigration Company, he founded Fredericksburg in 1846 as gateway to Fisher-Miller land grant, hunting ground of the Comanche. By emptying his firearms, he won trust of Indians and made treaty to provide for unmolested settlement. Indians called him "El Sol Colorado" (The Red Sun). State senator, 1851. In 1854 issued colonists' headrights. To his family motto, he added "Texas forever." Lived in Loyal Valley. Buried near Cherry Spring. #10084

?, Cherry Spring, TX, United States

#10085 Moritz-Hitzfeld-Jacoby House. Built for newlyweds Edmund (1884-1958) and Anna (1881-1968) Moritz in 1907, this house has been occupied by the descendants of three of Fredericksburg's earliest families. Edmund and his father, Joseph, used limestone from their family-owned quarry nearby to build the house with the help of Anna's father, carpenter John Metzger, Sr. The house exhibits late Victorian-era styling with features of Germanic construction, which includes the use of native stone. The house was purchased by Levi and Caroline Hitzfeld in 1914 and in 1941 by Felix and Emma Jacoby. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994 #10085

608 N. Milam, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10086 Morris Ranch Schoolhouse. Built in 1893, this schoolhouse was one of several structures located on the Morris Ranch, a noted center for the breeding and training of thoroughbred horses. Several local churches also used the native limestone building for worship services. The central section housed an assembly hall and each wing contained a classroom. The public school continued in operation until 1962, when it merged with the Fredericksburg district (13 mi. NE). Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10086

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10087 Mosel-Jordan-Duecker Haus. Johann Nicholas Mosel (1839-1904) was granted a 100' x 200' lot in Fredericksburg by the German Emigration Company in 1847. Here he built a rough limestone structure (now the northeast rooms), which might have served later as a Sunday house when he moved to an outlying farm (4 mi. W). German immigrant August William Jordan (d. 1898) bought the house in 1860. His sons sold it as a Sunday house to Henry Duecker (d. 1950), who added the frame additions in 1924. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1986 #10087

121 E. San Antonio St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10088 Albert Nebgen House. A native Texan and the son of German immigrants, Albert Nebgen (1889-1965) had this farmhouse built for his family about 1918. The two-store I-plan house is the focal point of a farmstead that is representative of those established by the area's early German settlers. The front porch, originally open, was partially enclosed in 1921 to accommodate the growing family. The home remained in the Nebgen's ownership until 1945. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988 #10088

?, Stonewall, TX, United States

#10089 Nimitz Hotel. This property was purchased by Charles Henry Nimitz, Sr., in 1855. By 1860 the Nimitz Hotel was established, hosting frontier travelers and providing a home for the large Nimitz family. Expanded in the 1870s to feature a steamboat shaped facade, the hotel was a center for community activities. It was sold by the family in 1926 and underwent major alterations. In 1964 it became a museum honoring Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz and those who served with him in World War II. The steamboat facade was later rebuilt and remains a local landmark. #10089

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#1009 Community of Egypt. One of most historic towns in county. Named following the drouth of 1827, when pioneers of Stephen F. Austin's colony came to this fertile region to obtain corn. They called it "Goin down into Egypt for corn", after biblical passage. Noted patriots were among earliest settlers: Eli Mercer, one of first sugar producers in Texas; and W. J. E. Heard, leader of citizen soldiers. Others were dairy king Gail Borden; William Menefee, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence; and Maj. Andrew Northington, stagecoach operator and surveyor. #1009

FM 102, Egypt, TX, United States

Subjects