Texas Historical Marker

14731
#10090 Birthplace of Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN. Typical early Fredericksburg home built 1866 by Carl Basse. Property of the Henke family since 1873. Heinrich Henke, early settler, Confederate freighter had butcher counter on front porch; meat processing was done in back yard; there the horses that pulled meat vending cart were stabled. Shop later built on foundation of stone walls surrounding lot. He and his wife Dorothea (nee Weirich) added the long dining room and kitchen with sloped roof to accommodate their twelve children. Many of their furnishings are preserved by Udo Henke, a descendant. In small room to rear of front bedroom, on Feb. 24, 1885, their daughter, Anna Henke Nimitz, gave birth to Chester William Nimitz, destined to command the greatest naval armada in history. A 1905 honor graduate of the U. S. Naval Academy, Nimitz was chief of staff to commander, Atlantic Submarine Fleet, W.W.I. Installed first naval ROTC unit in U. S. Navy, 1926; selected commander in chief Pacific Fleet after attack on Pearl Harbor; appointed fleet admiral, U. S. Navy, 1944. As representative of the U. S. he signed Japanese surrender documents of his flagship, USS Missouri, Sept. 2, 1945 in Tokoyo Bay. Admiral Nimitz died in San Francisco on Feb. 20, 1966. #10090

247 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10091 Major Israel M. Nunez. (1841-1906) Civil War veteran and stage line operator who in 1870 founded Stonewall, naming it for Confederate General "Stonewall" Jackson. Major Nunez, who lived 2 miles south of town and had a family of 9 children, donated land in 1886 for Stonewall School No. 18. #10091

?, Stonewall, TX, United States

#10092 Pape Log Cabin. One of the oldest structures in Fredericksburg, built by communal effort for the family of Friedrich Pape (1813-94). Pape, his wife Katherine, and a daughter arrived in galveston in Nov. 1845 from Germany. three Pape children died on the trip. The family was among the first forty to settle in fredericksburg, and soon after arriving in May 1846, this cabin was erected to shelter the ailing Mrs. Pape. the post oak logs were cut nearby, and the first roof was probably thatched grass. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1974 #10092

213 W. Creek, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10093 Albert Lee Patton Building. Missouri native Albert Lee Patton (1851-1934), trained as a tinsmith, moved to Fredericksburg in the early 1870s. In 1897 he constructed this two-story native limestone building adjacent to the east side of his general mercantile and hardware store. The ground floor housed the Citizens Bank until it closed in 1932 and the second floor area was used as a residence by Patton, his wife Emma (Wahrmund), and their five children. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10093

232 W. Main, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10094 The Patton Home. Pioneer Fredericksburg business leader Albert Lee Patton (1851-1934) and his wife Emma (Wahrmund) (d. 1927) built the original four-room section of this limestone home shortly after they purchased the property in 1876. Alterations to the structure, completed in the late 1880s, included the addition of the three-window front bay. Later inherited by a daughter, Emma (Patton) Detjen, the residence remained in the Patton family until 1978. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10094

107 N. Orange St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10095 Pedernales Rural School. The Pedernales community, established here by German immigrant farmers in the 1840s, was joined with the Live Oak community to form a school district in 1854. Sometime prior to 1875 a native stone schoolhouse was built at this site. State funds and tuition supported the 1-teacher, 7-grade school. Picnics on "schulpruefung" (final exam day), plays, Christmas programs, and music practices became traditional activities at the school. Falling student enrollment during World War II led to the school's closing in 1945. The school building was converted to residential use in the 1980s. #10095

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10096 Pinta Trail. Origin of the Pinta Trail is attributed to nomadic Plains Indian tribes. Early Spanish and Mexican expeditions followed the general route of the trail, which extended from San Antonio de Bexar to the San saba River near present Menard. A survey by German immigrants in 1845 provided a wagon road over part of the trail, and, after the discovery of gold in California in 1849, the trail was utilized by U.S. Military companies seeking to open new routes to the western states. Use of the trail declined with the advent of railroads in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986 #10096

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10098 Rausch Ranch Home. In 1856 Nicolaus Gerhard (1810-1894), a German immigrant, bought this land, where he lived with his son Michael in a log cabin. In 1866 Nicolaus had local German stonemasons build this house, using rocks found in a nearby pasture. Michael Gerhard sold the home in 1904 to skilled stonemason Robert Rausch and his wife Bertha. The house served as headquarters for the Rausch family ranch until 1976, when the property was sold. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 Incise on base: Purchased and restored by Ronald and Karen Herrmann #10098

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10099 The William Rausch House. Gillespie County native William Rausch (1884-1939) and his wife, Olga (d. 1943), bought this property in 1894. They lived in an existing house until 1906, when they built this home. A stonemason and carpenter by trade, Rausch probably did much of the construction himself. The German vernacular limestone structure features a central gable with jig-cut decorative trim. the home remained in the Rausch family until 1943. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1985 #10099

107 S. Lincoln, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#1010 Community of Jermyn. Located on the western edge of Lost Valley, a 20-square mile area of Jack County, Jermyn was founded in 1909 as site of the roundhouse, depot, and office building for the Gulf, Texas & Western Railroad. It was named for J. J. Jermyn (1852-1928), line's president. Land for the town was donated by Oliver Loving II (grandson of "Dean of Texas Trail Drivers") and W. P. Stewart. Many lots were sold and the town embarked on two decades of prosperity and progress. A school was built about 1912 and Jermyn came to have numerous businesses, including a hotel, garage, bank, two general stores, blacksmith shop, land office, cotton gin and warehouse, restaurant, drugstore, ice house, lumber yard, confectionary, U.S Post Office, and a newspaper --The "Enterprise" -- succeeded by the "News". With the sale of the G.T. & W. Railroad to the Frisco system in 1930, however, a gradual decline set in. By 1936 the line curtailed passenger service, then all service. Highway construction hastened the railroad's -- and the town's-- economic demise as citizens moved to the cities to find work, and businesses closed. Today the post office, two churches, and a general store still function and part of the school serves as a civic center. Current economic base is ranching. (1972) (1972) #1010

?, Jermyn, TX, United States

#10100 Ressmann-Boos House. An evolution of pioneer building methods is evident in thishome. The earliest part, built about 1845, is of fachwerk construction typical in early German houses. Later additions were of log and clapboard frame construction. Early area settlers Christian and Katharina Ressmann purchased the home in 1866 and in 1946 members of their family sold it to Hilmar and Christine Boos. The house remained in the Boos family until the 1970s. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #10100

511 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10101 D. C. Riley House. Four generations have lived in this house built in early 1870s by Crabapple community pioneer David Crockett Riley (1840-1900). Stone for 24" outer walls and 18" partitions came from a hill a mile north; timbers were hand-hewn from farm trees; milled lumber hauled from Austin (90 mi. SE). With a purchased lock for model, rest of door locks were made in farm shop. Workmen were paid 50 cents and a pint of Crockett Riley's whiskey (home-distilled) for a day's work. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1972 #10101

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10102 Riley-Enderlin House. This simply designed vernacular home was built in 1909 by Franz Stein for Emil H. and Bertha Riley. In 1912 the home was purchased by Charles Enderlin, Sr. (1846-1931) and remained in the Enderlin family for over seventy years. A German immigrant and Civil War veteran, Enderlin modified the home soon after he bought it to accommodate his large family. Features of the house include its side-gabled roof, shed roof front porch, and two front doors. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1987 #10102

606 N. Adams, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10103 Little Rock House. Constructed shortly after Civil War on townlot grant of German Emigration Co. Bought in 1868 by Heinrich Ochs, pioneer school teacher. Owned by family 61 years. Has been home and store with floor plan virtually unchanged since erection. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 #10103

215B W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10104 Diedrich Rode Complex. This group of buildings was constructed by german native Diedrich Rode (1828-1905). The three-story limestone residence was completed in 1880 and featured a third floor storage area for wool and cotton produced on the land. A Lutheran, Rode served as an early minister and held services in the Betkapelle, a prayer chapel on the east side of the second floor. In addition to his ranching, he also taught school. A landmark in the Cherry Spring community, the homesite was sold to Willie Kothe in 1929. It has remained in his family for over 50 years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989 #10104

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10105 St. Barnabas Episcopal Church. Originally one of earliest homes in Fredericksburg. built by German settler Peter Walter. Walter built log cabin on lot, then began permanent home of fachwerk construction, 1846. He owned and farmed surrounding land while plying his trade of wagoner to Fort McKavett. House was bought by parish formed in 1952. Restored as a mission, it was consecrated by Bishop Everett H. Jones on St. Barnabas Day, dec. 16, 1954. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962 #10105

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10106 St. John's Lutheran Church. Pioneer families of Crabapple organized this church in the 1880s. Members met in a school building before erecting this sanctuary in 1897. Elder Julius Rusche supervised the design, carpentry, and native limestone masonry construction. An excellent example of vernacular architecture with slight Gothic influences, it features a massive stone foundation, double door entry, and 4/4 wood windows with stone lintels and sills. Services were discontinued in 1962. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1994 #10106

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10107 St. Paul Lutheran Church. Oldest rural Lutheran church in Gillespie County. The Rev. M. Haag served as first pastor. Charter members numbered 17. A frame building with walls of rough boxing planks was dedicated June 22, 1884. Size: 25 x 30 feet with a 40-foot tower. Cost: $600. In 1890 building was enlarged, interior finished, beaded ceiling installed. Altar niche was added, interior finished with sheet rock and exterior covered with tin in 1928-29. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969 #10107

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

#10108 St. Peter Lutheran Church. Organized by German Lutherans in September 1896 under a brush arbor at nearby Lange's Mill, this church has been part of Gillespie County history for over 100 years. A frame church building erected in 1898 was replaced by this Gothic revival structure in 1912-1913. built by church members using native limestone, the building features a central projecting bell tower and pressed metal steeple with cross stone quoins, and arched Gothic windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1988 #10108

806 N. Lindsey, Doss, TX, United States

#10109 The Schandua Building. Erected in 1897 of hand-hewn limestone, this structure was the home of John (d. 1900) and Bertha (Klein) Schandua (d. 1943). They lived upstairs with their children and John's hardware store was downstairs. For a time, the Masonic Lodge met upstairs in exchange for some construction costs. After John died his brother Henry married Bertha. Enlarged the building, and continued the hardware business on the first floor. Hardware businesses were operated here until 1972. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979 #10109

205 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States