Texas Historical Marker

14731
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10128 Emil Weber House. Stonemason Emil Weber built this late Victorian residence in 1902 with the help of local craftsmen. Constructed of hand-hewn limestone and Texas yellow pine, and featuring 12-inch ceilings, it was designed as a wedding gift for his future bride Matilda Pauling Cehler. Notes in Weber's account book show that the house cost $1,338 to build. Members of the Weber family continued to reside here until 1961. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #10128

110 N. Cherry St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10129 Weber "Das Keller Haus". This simple, one-room limestone outbuilding was constructed in 1903 by stonemason Emil Weber. He built the structure, which sat over a cellar, for storing vegetables, bacon, sausage, and wine. One of Weber's sons, Werner E. Weber (d. 1974), a woodcarver, used the building for his workshop. He designed altars and religious pieces for many area churches, and also carved a lectern on display in the National Cathedral at Washington, D. C. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1982 #10129

110 N. Cherry St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#1013 Community of Wrightsboro. Founded in 1851 by L. C. "Jack" Wright. Fellow settlers with a sense of humor gave town name because Wright's burro (donkey) roamed the area at will. A native of Alabama, Wright (1820-1905) was a noted marksman. He served in Confederate Army in Civil War (1861-65), then returned to stock raising here. Was also a county commissioner 10 years. At peak, Wrightsboro boasted many stores and a solid grain and cotton-based economy. Grew to be trade and social center. Local Masonic Lodge, Shuler No. 317, has operated from 1869 to 1915 and 1920 to the present. #1013

?, Wrightsboro, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10130 Welgenhausen Ranch. German immigrants Friedrich Welgenhausen and his wife Juliane built a one-room log cabin here in the 1850s. After their son Conrad and his wife Margaretha (Walter) acquired the property in 1873, they enclosed the cabin within their two-story limestone house. Other early structures here include the barn, built originally as a rock and log house, and a two-story log cabin, which serves as a guest house. The Welgenhausen family owned the property until 1975. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1983 #10130

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10131 Wunderlich Houses. When Adolph Wunderlich (d. 1935) married Martha Schumann (d. 1956) in 1883. He built the smaller of these two homes, combining log and stone construction. The family soon outgrew the first dwelling, and Adolph built the larger house of limestone blocks in 1892. On this farm, he raised cotton, corn, sugarcane for molasses and grapes for wine. The five Wunderlich children attended Live Oak School, 2.5 miles away, where classes were taught in German. The Wunderlich family owned this property until 1956. #10131

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10132 Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church. Built 1852 by congregation, hewing wood by hand; quarrying native limestone; Swiss missionary pastor serving as night foreman at lime kiln. Texas Hill Country's oldest Lutheran church. Still is enclosed in original walls. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964 #10132

424 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10133 Site of Zodiac. A Mormon settlement. Established in 1847 by 150 Mormons under the leadership of Lyman Wight (1796-1858). Abandoned in 1851 after floods destroyed their mill. #10133

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10134 Adams House. Attorney and plantation owner Chesley Meredith Adams (1813-1859) bought this property in the 1850s and constructed a log house. His widow Martha and her husband the Rev. J. F. Riggs built this frame residence in 1880 to replace the log structure. They transferred the property in 1889 to Martha's son Chesley Francis Adams (1856-1940). A lawyer and educator, Adams married Alice Chandler Stuart in 1891 and here they raised their family of eight children. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1979 #10134

1502 S. Washington at Emory, Marshall, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10135 The Allen House. Born in Alabama, the Rev. Walker Montecue Allen (1819-1899) was a Cumberland Presbyterian minister, author, and teacher. He moved to Marshall in 1876 with his wife Eliza Ann (Handly) (1829-1902) and their nine children. They erected this two-story residence in 1879, with the Rev. Allen and his older sons doing most of the carpentry and masonry work. An example of the late Greek revival style, this structure was occupied by the Allen family until 1942. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977 #10135

610 N. Washington St., Marshall, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10136 Bailey Anderson. (1754-1840) A veteran of the American Revolution, Bailey Anderson was born in Stafford County, VA. About 1760, he moved with his parents John and Sarah (Carney) Anderson to the Newberry District of South Carolina. At 21, he was in the Revolutionary army and during the next 11 years saw service in Georgia, Virginia, and the Carolinas, fighting Indians and the British, scouting and patrolling. His father and two of his brothers were killed in the conflict. About 1795, Bailey Anderson moved to Kentucky. There he served in the State Legislature, 1800-1802. In 1810 he moved to Indiana, to try life on another frontier. He migrated to East Texas about 1818. Although it was in dispute, Americans then considered this a part of the Louisiana Purchase. In 1820, when Spanish soldiers came from Mexico to evict the East Texas filibusters, Anderson and his family went to Arkansas Territory, but returned about 1821 as permanent settlers. The land surrounding this marker was in a grant from the Republic of Texas to Bailey Anderson, Jr., a soldier in the Texas War for Independence. Nearby, in the family cemetery, is the grave of Bailey Anderson, a veteran of the American Revolution. #10136

?, Elysian Field, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10137 William Bates Anderson Home. -- #10137

?, Marshall, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10138 Arnot House. Built in 1848 by Albert M. Arnot, a blacksmith, this house features characteristics of Greek revival and Creole styling. Four rooms were originally located on the main floor. The basement area, constructed above ground, housed a dining room, harness shop, and cellar. Later owners included Francis Lang, a German mill operator, Dora Bernstein (d. 1890), the wife of a local Jewish merchant, and Joseph Black (1881-1955), an Irish cobbler who built his shop here. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10138

306 W. Houston at Franklin, Marshall, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10139 The Belle Fry Gaines House. This residence was erected for John R. (b. 1849) and Sallie Stinson (b. 1857) soon after their marriage in Sept. 1875. The wood framing around the entryway was carved to resemble cut stone. Stinson was a merchant and served one term as mayor of Marshall. In 1909 Walter D. Minton (D. 1918) bought the structure after Minton's death, his widow Belle (Fry) (d. 1978) married E. P. Gaines. She operated an antique shop in the house for many years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978 #10139

313 W. Austin at Fulton St., Marshall, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#1014 Company I, 7th Texas Infantry. Mustered into service during World War I, July 16, 1917, at Abilene with officers, Captain R. M. Wagstaff; 1st Lt. A. J. McDavid; 2nd Lt. E. B. Sayles; and 1st Sgt. Elmer C. Stearns. Company had 139 enlisted men from the area who trained here at the West Texas Fair Grounds (now Rose Park) until September 1, then transferred to Camp Bowie at Fort Worth. It became part of HQ. CO., 142nd Infantry, 36th Division. The unit saw action in France October 8-28, 1918, with the 4th French army, and was mustered out of service in June, 1919. (1968) #1014

S. 7th and Larkin St., Abilene, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10140 Bethesda Baptist Church. In 1867 the Rev. William Massey organized the "Colored Baptist Church" in his home. Soon the name "Bethesda" was chosen for the biblical pool where the sick and troubled went for healing. Members of this congregation included prominent business, educational, and political leaders. They helped organize Bishop College in 1881. The first frame church house was razed in 1932 and a brick building was erected under the Rev. W. H. Dudley. After a fire destroyed the structure in 1953, this building was constructed during the pastorate of the Rev. James R. C. Pinn. #10140

820 W. Grand Ave., Marshall, TX, United States

Site of the capitol hotel, marshall, texas historical marker (7206492458)
#10141 Site of the Capitol Hotel. A 3-story brick structure built on this site in 1857 by business leader George B. Adkins (1810-76), and called "Adkins House", ranked as a very fine hotel and served as depot for stage lines, including southern branch of Butterfield Mail, 1858-61. In this hotel the Confederate governor of Missouri, functioning in exile in Marshall, held several conferences with the Civil War governors of Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas. Afterward the hotel was renamed "The Capitol." it continued as host to celebrities for years. In 1915, first floor was converted to mercantile uses. The building was razed in 1971-72. #10141

East Houston St. at Bolivar, Marshall, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10142 Site of Central School. Early schools for Marshall's African Americans consisted of loosely organized classes held in homes, churches, and lodge halls. In 1894 Professor H. B. Pemberton, Sr., convinced city officials of the need for a school building and a fixed curriculum for African Americans. Pemberton arranged a loan, which the African American community repaid, to establish Marshall's first public school, "Central School," at this site in 1894. Central expanded in 1906 to include a high school. Central High School moved in 1925 and the school here was renamed "Hillside." Hillside School closed in 1941. #10142

400 S. Alamo at Travis St., Marshall, TX, United States

Governor edward clark, marshall, texas historical marker
#10143 Governor Edward Clark. (1815-1880) Hometown Texas First Confederate Governor Son of a Georgia governor. Came here in 1842. Member Annexation Convention, 1st and 2nd Texas Legislatures. Participant Mexican War. Secretary of State 1853-7. Elected Lieutenant Governor 1859. Made Governor 1861 upon removal of Gov. Sam Houston, who opposed secession. Clark's major activity was mobilizing Texas in cause of Confederacy. Plans were made to prevent federal invasion, take over enemy property, organize resources to provide supplies and arms for defense, and to properly care for families of Texas soldiers battling at the front. Gov. Edward Clark's term from March to November 1861 also faced difficulties caused by mechanics of changing flags, seals, currency, postal and tax systems for membership in new nation. Camps of instruction were set-up over state to enroll, equip and train troops. Hardest job was to convince Texans, the best horsemen in world, that all could not ride in cavalry but some must be foot soldiers in infantry. The C.S.A. was supplied guns, powder, lead, cloth made in penitentiary, salt and 20,000 troops in his term. In late 1861 he raised and became colonel 14th Tex. Inf. Regt. Led units in Arkansas-Louisiana campaigns to prevent invasion of Texas. Wounded and commended Battle Pleasant Hill April 1864. Discharged 1865. Postwar lawyer, businessman. Buried in Marshall Cemetery. #10143

?, Marshall, TX, United States

Gov. edward clark, marshall, texas historical marker (7218402856)
#10144 Governor Edward Clark. (1815-1880) Born in Georgia. Came to Texas in 1842. Served as a member of Annexation Convention. Fought in war with Mexico. Held office as State Representative, Senator, Secretary of State, Lieutenant Governor; Governor in 1861. Raised and led 14th Texas Infantry Regiment in Red River campaigns of Civil War. Wounded in Battle of Pleasant Hill, 1865. Was a lawyer and businessman after the war. #10144

?, Marshall, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10145 Former Site of Old Concord Methodist Church and Concord Masonic Lodge. Concord Lodge No. 77, A.F. & A.M.. was organized in 1850, receiving dispensation on Nov. 15 of that year. It was chartered Jan. 22, 1851, with 14 members: E. A. Geeter, N. M. Goode, N. Jones, J. B. Long, W. H. Luckie, J. R. McCartey, Neal McLane, S. S. Morris, W. C. Moseley, J. H. Price, R. E. Rhodes, J. L. Smith, G. W. Whitmore, A. B. Wright. The lodge met at first in the house of McCartey. The nine-acre site here was donated on April 28, 1853, by the owner of the original Republic of Texas grant, Spencer C. Wadlington (1790-1857), to trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church South: S. F. Allston, T. C. Bentley, W. C. Crawford, W. D. Jefferson, B. H. Martin, J. S. Powell, A. B. Stone, and Oliver Thompson. A two-story building was erected on the site and was used for many years by the church and the lodge. The adjacent land became the community cemetery, with oldest stone marking the grave of Ophelia Polk Swanson, who died on March 15, 1850. The lodge was demised in 1880; later Concord Church disbanded. The building stood until the 1930s. Site was deeded (1970) by Texas Annual Conference of United Methodist Church, south Central Jurisdiction, to the Concord Cemetery Association, chartered 1970. #10145

?, Waskom, TX, United States